LegacyGT.com

02 GT Front Brakes

maclif

I need to replace the front pads on my 02 Legacy GT Limited. The last time I replaced pads, I tried to buy them locally and had a nightmare. It seems like virtually every place (save the dealership) does not differentiate between a Legacy GT and a regular Legacy. But, the regular Legacy pads do not fit the GT calipers.

Now, I would like to upgrade to Hawk HPS pads. Has anyone put those on a BE GT model? Do you know the model number, or have a recommendation on where to get them from? I'm halfway debating on upgrading the fronts to 04ish era WRX front calipers to make pads easier to find.

-Clif :)

odd.

Info that I have says the fronts are 10.7 in for both and Hawk only lists one pad for both sedan and GT (HB 432F.661). The limited only added creature comforts, nothing mechanical.

Maybe they gave you the wrong part ?

After checking DirectTuning.com , they do list a different Hawk no when doing a search, HB 352F.665. check their site and give them a call.

O.

Edit: After checking further. it says that some 2002 models will use 2003 brake sets. If your rotor dia is 11.4 in. thats the answer.ie same as 03 GT.

• 4 weeks later...
all legacys from 00 on (be) have 11" front discs. measure them, they are 11". 00-04. they will use WRX pads, either 02 or 03 style. same for rear, calipers in back are actually interchangable as well as they are single sliding, pads depend on bracket

all legacys from 00 on (be) have 11" front discs. measure them, they are 11". 00-04.

incorrect. The BE have 10.7" fronts, while the GT's of the series have 11.4. The rears in both cases are 11.3".

The Brighton model of 2000 had drum rears and a smaller front.

For specs see www.cars101.com.

O

I need to replace the front pads on my 02 Legacy GT Limited. The last time I replaced pads, I tried to buy them locally and had a nightmare. It seems like virtually every place (save the dealership) does not differentiate between a Legacy GT and a regular Legacy. But, the regular Legacy pads do not fit the GT calipers.

Now, I would like to upgrade to Hawk HPS pads. Has anyone put those on a BE GT model? Do you know the model number, or have a recommendation on where to get them from? I'm halfway debating on upgrading the fronts to 04ish era WRX front calipers to make pads easier to find.

-Clif :)

Clif,

Just to reiterate, you're 02 falls into that murky area when Subaru was in the middle of changing their front brake design. You either have the older style pad that the 00 GT's, previous gen Legacys, GC 2.5RS and 02 WRX's, or you may have the newer pad design that both BE Legacy and GD Impreza's share in 03. Best bet is to go to a dealership and have them cross reference your VIN as to whether you use the same pad as an 02 or 03 WRX.

I have Hawk HPS's on the front right now on my 03, but I'm running 4 pot front calipers, so the comparison won't exactly be 1 to 1. Having used HPS pads before on other cars, however, they do provide much better initial bite than stock and better modulation, but they don't dust much more (unlike the Axxis Ultimates I had before that would turn my dark chrome rims to flat-gunmetal in a matter of days).

incorrect. The BE have 10.7" fronts, while the GT's of the series have 11.4. The rears in both cases are 11.3".

The Brighton model of 2000 had drum rears and a smaller front.

For specs see www.cars101.com.

O

+1 I can vouch for this info perosnally, having upgraded to WRX size (11.4") rotors, then later the calipers to 4 pots.

I went to the dealership to get the vin pulled to determine the correct brakes. They also carried hawk pads, but not the ones I was looking for. They were able to hook me up with the correct pad number for hawk and everything.

Archived