LegacyGT.com

anyone NOT having trouble in the snow?

because I'm not. I think this car handles great in the snow. I think people are not used to driving awd is all. I learned to drive on a rwd car so I guess I got some early lessons.
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will also say the car handles well in the snow.. I got to drive it for the first time in the snow last night.. car got away from me when I drove it like my old car (TSX fwd).. as soon as I started driving it more like an rwd car it was great.. awd definately decreases the amount of turn in you need to correct your rear in from coming out.. but it did take me a second to figure that out.. also helps I have a rwd Jeep Cherokee..

because I'm not. I think this car handles great in the snow. I think people are not used to driving awd is all. I learned to drive on a rwd car so I guess I got some early lessons.

All my cars have been rear wheel drive too so driving in the snow has not been a problem in the Subie. With rear wheel drive cars you quickly learn the limits to get the back kicking out.

I agree with you that people who have driven front wheel drive cars need to be extra careful when driving the LGT with that extra 5% or more going to the back. I also think the LGT should come with a Winter driving mode that would make it run more like the 90/10 split of the regular 2.5i.

The LGT putting so much power to rear wheels I think could cause the rear to kick out in a turn before the computer or the viscous moves power to the front. I think eventually it will be a non issues when VDC makes it to the LGT.

No problems getting around last night in about 4 or 5 inches.

Same here...no issues and I was driving a RWD BMW in the height of the storm with Wintersport M3s...saw several other RWD cars that were stuck - they obviously did not have snow tires....a Porsche Boxster and an AMG Mercedes to name a few. When will they ever learn.

I did get a chance to drive the Subie with half worn OEM RE92s in a few inches of snow before Thanksgiving...It actually didn't do too bad. I have a set of Michelin Pilot Alpins PAs that still need to be mounted...can't wait.

We had 7+ inches overnight. I lowered the rear tire pressures a bit (41 F - 36 R) and while still on the RE-92s...I think the car is OK. Of course the back will kick out if you go into Rally Driver Mode when taking a turn...but for all other purposes and straight line...you can still do decently.

One just has to adapt the driving to AWD and inferior tires (I know RE-92s get blasted here...and I hate them too...but they are all seasons...meaning not particularly good at anything, and perhaps worse in the snow than average). Like everyone else...I learnt the hard way (via a spin) that you don't suddenly brake and you don't suddenly accelerate in turns....and that a drift that is easy to control by lifting the throttle is prefferred to slamming on the brakes.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. I mean, all I've been reading lately is people saying how bad these cars are in the snow & it's just NOT true at all. I mean, I think those that come from front wheel drive are just flooring the gas trying to get moving & spinning around & kicking the a$$ end out. That's the only gripe I have about this site. People post threads like "OMG this car sucks in the snow" or "Accessport is worthless" or "my tailights fell out when I hit 70mph" or something ridiculous. I lit someone up for doing that once. It's ridiculous. If you have a problem with your car the title should say "anyone else experience this before?". Whew, sorry, got off on a rant there.
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

I think people complain a lot more because it is subaru.. Subaru is known for there awd cars.. but people probably think they should never spin out.. No matter how hard they push there 250/250 turbo charged car.. and that is what is stupid.. still a car.. if all four wheels are on a frictionless surface they are still going to all spin.. bet it would in any car?? MAYBE not a tank.. you might be able to buy a tank and not spin out?

I think people complain a lot more because it is subaru.. Subaru is known for there awd cars.. but people probably think they should never spin out.. No matter how hard they push there 250/250 turbo charged car.. and that is what is stupid.. still a car.. if all four wheels are on a frictionless surface they are still going to all spin.. bet it would in any car?? MAYBE not a tank.. you might be able to buy a tank and not spin out?

Yup...which is why most of the cars I see in ditches during a storm are AWD...I just laugh as I pass them in my RWD car. Unfortunately, a lot of people with AWD think they're invincible...they forget that the laws of physics still applies to their vehicle.

No "problems", just have to be a little more careful. 300hp+, Whiteline sways, iON sport springs and Proxes 4's are not exactly a winter driving set-up. HOWEVER, if you don't drive stupid, you shouldn't have a problem.

And hey, my first car was a VW Super Beetle...RWD + super short wheel base + <2,000 lb curb = crapy in the snow. If you can drive one of those in the snow, you can drive anything.

No problems in the snow for me. I'm over in CT, had about 4 or 5 inches on the ground when i work up this morning, no problem at all. I did see many suvs sliding all over the road and bouncing off curbs, funny to watch in the rear view mirror. And nothing beats driving it around those turns. woot to the subaru all wheel drive.

No problems, only spins when I want it to. Still on RE92's. It is alot of fun sliding the car on purpose though, and full throttle take-offs are alot of fun spinning all the wheels. The car sure takes off faster than my old Jetta.

Archived