LegacyGT.com

Anyone replace their tires yet? What did you buy???

Just hit 74k and did my oil change and tire rotation yesterday. The OE tires are getting pretty noisy, but there is still a good amount of tread left. I wouldn't be surprised if these ran 90k at least.

Wow! I was down to 4/32 on the oem Eagles at 42k miles. It's the longest I ever got out of a set of tires. I might have made it to summer but didn't want to risk it this winter so I replaced them. I was going to get some Continental DWS since I loved them on my BMWs but I went to Discount Tire and got the Yokohama YK740 GTX tires. So far only 2k miles on them but they have been great and quiet. Dry, wet, snow, ice. (It's Ohio, we had all the seasons in the span of a week).

Feels much sportier than the oem Goodyears I had which sucked.

BFG makes a Comp II all season tire with a really cool looking pattern that I've had my eye on. My wife's car only has 18.2 k miles on it and the tires look pretty good. But when it comes times, I'm looking at the BFGs. Although I've had no complaints about the OEM Goodyears.

I put a set of Michelin Defenders on at 34k. Two drivers side tires had ruptures from our wonderful Michigan roads so I replaced all 4. Bought them at Discount Tire with road hazard. Since their store is only 3 miles away it was the "best place" to buy from. Their "trained Mechanics" screwed up one of my wheels and I still waiting for a fix. The Defenders are great along with a serious 4 wheel alignment and a 20mm rsb. The car tracks beautifully.

I had to replace with same ones since 2 tires developed the crack on side walls and for tires, I don't take risk as no one likes busted tired on roads.

I had to change around 35K miles and had at least 60-70% thread life remaining. Subaru Gold Warranty covered the tires cost by 70% depending on thread depth.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+.

Top rated tire pretty much everywhere you look. If you don't want a performance tire, that's one thing, but if you do...these things absolutely transformed the car. I will buy them again and recommend them to others. While other manufacturers have good tires here and there, you can't go wrong with Michelin.

I was also interested in the Pilot Sports but with the kind of driving we do, 18,000 per year and mostly highway driving to see the kids and grandkids, the 90 k warranty on the defenders plus their gas saving rating were the right choise for us. The Pilot Sports were tempting though!

Hmmm, looked for Defenders on the Tire Rack site and this is the message I rec'd:

This tire isn't available for your 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited.

Time to dig a little deeper.

And I did, DT carries them...

I should explain my "serious alignment" from my previous post. In my retirement I have found a second career as a substitute teacher at our local high school. I often sub the auto shop classes. The parapro suggested that I bring my car in and have the students put it on the new $80,000 alignment rack. It turned into a lesson for the students as monitored by the instructor. Instead of getting the hurried up "wham bam thank you mam" alignment, the work took over 2 hours. The results are amazing.

The limited require a H rated tire or above according to Subaru,the Defenders are not a H rated that is why they said it was not available. But I'm going to put them on my Limited any way. I have have heard the Good Year comfort treads work well on the Limited and that is a V rated tire.

I should explain my "serious alignment" from my previous post. In my retirement I have found a second career as a substitute teacher at our local high school. I often sub the auto shop classes. The parapro suggested that I bring my car in and have the students put it on the new $80,000 alignment rack. It turned into a lesson for the students as monitored by the instructor. Instead of getting the hurried up "wham bam thank you mam" alignment, the work took over 2 hours. The results are amazing.

Was it a 4 wheel alignment?

So you're saying, proper maintenance done by a competent technician produces positive results?

Do you think I can get the same level of care and attention from the drooling goblin doing my $80 alignment at Sears? :p

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ for me as well, had 3 Goodyears out of round from the factory, so Subaru paid for 3 Michelins and I paid for the 4th. Much better tire for the car.

Well my rear left tire got a massive metal shard in it and the tire center at my dealer said they can't fix it...gotta buy all new tires. I have 42k on my OEM GY Assurances, so they may have lasted another year. I checked around town and all the tire places have these obscure brands or models of tires and they seem spendy. It sucks shipping is so much for tires on tirerack, but is spending $600 on something like DWS Continental 06's good? Or like some $500 random ones at Les Schwab?

I got a flat tire from a massive piece of metal yesterday and my tread is pretty far worn at 42k miles on my GY Assurances. I called around looking for a set of new tires and I was pretty astonished by how much places rip you off. Costco had a set of four really obscure crap quality tires installed for $650~...Les Schwab had a set of 4 Velozza random crappy tires for $450, and Formoza FD-2 for $550.

I then found a sports car shop and they ordered me a set of bf Goodrich - g-Force COMP 2 A/S and installed for $550. Getting them installed tomorrow! I just find it so funny that the other places will sell me utter crap tires for the same/higher price as actually good tires from this other shop I found. I tried to get the DWS06's but they didn't have them in stock and I need tires for this weekend.

Pirelli P-Zero All Season Plus, new compound, from TireRack. Both Michelin and Pirelli have updated their compounds for better winter performance to compete with the Conti DWS06. Since the All season plus was not originally available in 225/50-18 (3.6r limited) all Pirellis in this size should be new compound, but it's worth checking with whom you buy them from. Nice tire. Quieter than GY LS-2, good handling in dry and rain. Seems to work well in snow and slush based on a ski country trip this weekend. Will update as I get some miles on them.

I went to Sams to try and get a set of the Michelin Defenders (90k warranty) on my '16 Limited, but they refused to order them as they said the Defenders have a speed rating below what is "required" for the car. It is crazy as they are rated 95T or 118mph. The car specs call for a rating of 95H 04 130mph. First of all, I would never try 118 mph in the Legacy, let alone 130 mph. Sams policy is not to mount any tires with a different speed rating than OEM. The local chain here will do it (they are more expensive) so that is what I will go with

I went to Sams to try and get a set of the Michelin Defenders (90k warranty) on my '16 Limited, but they refused to order them as they said the Defenders have a speed rating below what is "required" for the car. It is crazy as they are rated 95T or 118mph. The car specs call for a rating of 95H 04 130mph. First of all, I would never try 118 mph in the Legacy, let alone 130 mph. Sams policy is not to mount any tires with a different speed rating than OEM. The local chain here will do it (they are more expensive) so that is what I will go with

Sounds like Sams actually has qualified staff for a change, speed rating isn't about how fast you drive the car, but which tires are appropriate for your vehicle:

The speed rating of a tire is based on U.S. Government standards for reaching and sustaining a specified speed. Typically, a tire with a higher speed rating results in better handling. Speed ratings are determined via laboratory tests that simulate road performance at various speeds.

Below is a list of speed ratings along with the corresponding speeds they represent. Remember that the speeds listed are test speeds and not recommended speeds. Speed ratings apply only to the tire itself, and not to a particular vehicle. Putting a tire rated for a certain speed on a vehicle does not mean that the vehicle can be safely operated at the tire's rated speed.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/brochure/tire/tireSpeedrating.jsp

Archived