LegacyGT.com

"Street tune"..what is it?

gear_monkey

Ditch the K&N and put a new paper filter in.

Street tune is just that, tuning that takes place on the road vs. a dyno. Street tune is usually the best way to dial in boost control in real-world driving conditions and that improves driveability. Dyno tunes are great for dialing ignition timing and cam phasing on high-hp cars when you want that last bit of performance from the build.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

The stock air intake system is something that works pretty darn well on our cars... Short of being close to 400whp, there isnt really a benefit to an aftermarket intake, or even an aftermarket filter.

Most tuners say it makes the tune more difficult to dial in and keep consistent. Im sure Fahr will offer some technical backing to the MAF and AFR :)

It's where the neighborhood thugs beat you into paying for protection.

I could be wrong though...

Sorry, I had to think of something mildly amusing to answer your thread title :)

I use an aFe dry filter (it's reusable and pays for itself after 2-3 paper filters). I'm also contemplating selling my Cobb AP and getting a cryo stage 2 tune after I compression text next month.

In the three tuners i've worked with, they've essentially all told me to keep my oem paper filters. In addition, it seems like the general consenus is that our oem intake is no where near maxed out till you hit the 350ish range.

i beleive fahr side and i have had this conversation in the past during my build as well.. feel free to chime in sir. lol

i beleive fahr side and i have had this conversation in the past during my build as well.. feel free to chime in sir. lol

It's your turn to fight the fight now young padawan!

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Well, the way i have always understood things... Is....

That the aftermarket intake really doesnt add a benefit (besides noise) until the stock MAF becomes maxed out.. .Which seems (for most people) to be around that 350hp mark. Regardless, you obviously need to be tuned, and your MAF needs to be scaled accordingly.

Talking to tuners - it's ideal to even be tuned for a drop in aftermarket panel filter, because it can arguably change the amount of air flow entering the air intake, and possibly have an affect on AFR ratios... Though many seem to escape this wrath without issue.

In addition, many of the drop in panel filters require oil... And it seems that in many instances oil can be lead to the fowling the MAF sensor on the intake tube. Resulting in some noteworthy driveability issues, CEL's, etc.

I'll take my grade now Sinsei!

Ditch the K&N and put a new paper filter in.

Street tune is just that, tuning that takes place on the road vs. a dyno. Street tune is usually the best way to dial in boost control in real-world driving conditions and that improves driveability. Dyno tunes are great for dialing ignition timing and cam phasing on high-hp cars when you want that last bit of performance from the build.

I should close this thread after this answer, this is perfect I couldn't of said it any better! ;)

My Tuner and I spent a hour today on Rt84 between exits 65 and 70 doing some fine tuning of the wagon. He lives right off exit 65 so its a great area to do street tuning.

Anyone in north central CT should have this done if they are not totally happy with their tune.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Is there a need for a boost controller in some cases?

Ditch the K&N and put a new paper filter

Is there a need for a boost controller in some cases?

I like to use a 3-port BCS with just about any turbo in the range of 16G / VF52 / VF48 or larger. You get better control, and it cuts the time needed to get to a smooth tune a great deal. The 'need' is hard to define and almost any turbo can in theory be controlled by the stock 2-port BCS, though the resulting tune may be heavily compromised because of it.

You can get 3-ports for very low prices. I made a list of cheap ones you can find if you search terms like 'Pierburg' and 'solenoid'.

Archived