LegacyGT.com

I need help!!!

fattymcgee

I've got an auto 05LGT with an 18g and supporting mods.

I took my car in to get tuned a couple weeks ago and the car was actually loosing power after each run. The tuner checked the temp before and after the cat and it was about 500 degrees before the cat and about 300 degrees after. He said my cat was shot so I bought a CNT catted dp and installed it 11 days ago.

I went in for a tune today and it did the exact same thing. It got so hot the outer coating of the CNT pipe started peeling. He said it seems like the engine wants to do more but thinks there is backpressure.

How could it be the cat if it's only been on the car for 11 days? What else could it be? He wants me gut the first pipe I had on there (COBB) and then try to tune it without the cat. I don't want to cut the pipe if the cat is not bad. Any ideas?

Edit: I forgot to mention that the car smelled too when on the dyno. He said that is the smell of a bad cat.

The AEM CAI, BOV, and actuator were just installed a few weeks ago. The last install before that was the 18g turbo and TMIC about a year ago. I wasn't getting the power from the 18g I was expecting last year (290 whp on e85) so over the winter I bought the AEM CAI, BOV, and AVO actuator and had them installed a few weeks ago. I thought these items would take care of the difference in power.

Now the car is losing power on each run on the dyno, it's only getting 260whp on e85 now.

AEM CAI

Perrin catless UP

CNT catted DP

Cobb heatshield

EBCS

1 step colder plugs

820cc injectors

Walbro 255 fuel pump

tranny cooler

ClimberD's valve body modification

BNR TD05 18g turbo

Avo actuator

AVO throttle body hose

Perrin turbo inlet hose

IBR TMIC

Grimmspeed AOS (air-oil separator)

TurboXS 50/50 BOV

Are you burning a significant amount of oil ?

Do you have an original factory up-pipe ?

Oil is not "cat" friendly, but 11 days is an awful short amount of time to ruin a new converter.

Did your tuner give you any other ideas of what it might be?

Are you burning a significant amount of oil ?

Do you have an original factory up-pipe ?

Oil is not "cat" friendly, but 11 days is an awful short amount of time to ruin a new converter.

Did your tuner give you any other ideas of what it might be?

Catless Perrin uppipe. If my car burns oil it's very little. The tuner noticed last time he tried to tune me that there was some blue smoke from exhaust during the first pull, but none thereafter. I pulled the front driver side plug a few days ago and it looked good.

He doesn't know what else it could be. He tested my actuator and it's set at 14psi, so with my 18g I should be putting out a ton more power. During tuning he couldn't get more than 17psi.

Is it a BNR 18G with an upgraded actuator ? If so, it is adjustable.The wastegate arm MIGHT need to be adjusted a bit.

It is the BNR 18g, but did not have the upgraded actuator. I was told it was the upgraded, but realized later it wasn't so I bought an AVO actuator. The tuner said the actuator wasn't the problem since it's set at 14lbs. Most people usually set them at 15lbs so I definitely could adjust it some, but he said that's not the issue.

It is the BNR 18g, but did not have the upgraded actuator. I was told it was the upgraded, but realized later it wasn't so I bought an AVO actuator. The tuner said the actuator wasn't the problem since it's set at 14lbs. Most people usually set them at 15lbs so I definitely could adjust it some, but he said that's not the issue.

Even if it were NOT adjusted correctly, it still does not explain the high temps. I am at a loss.

what exactly are your supporting mods?

AEM CAI

Perrin catless UP

CNT catted DP

Cobb heatshield

EBCS

1 step colder plugs

820cc injectors

Walbro 255 fuel pump

tranny cooler

ClimberD's valve body modification

BNR TD05 18g turbo

Avo actuator

AVO throttle body hose

Perrin turbo inlet hose

IBR TMIC

Grimmspeed AOS (air-oil separator)

TurboXS 50/50 BOV

I'm assuming the injectors have been scaled properly?

I would assume so, but don't know. The injectors were installed two years ago so I think it would be unlikely.

The AEM CAI, BOV, and actuator were just installed a few weeks ago. The last install before that was the 18g turbo and TMIC about a year ago. I wasn't getting the power from the 18g I was expecting last year (290 whp on e85) so over the winter I bought the AEM CAI, BOV, and AVO actuator and had them installed a few weeks ago. I thought these items would take care of the difference in power.

Now the car is losing power on each run on the dyno, it's only getting 260whp on e85 now.

have you pulled a learning view? and/or a log at wot?

wondering if something is causing a lot of timing to be pulled.

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Archived