LegacyGT.com

New to the subaru scene

Hey guys just picked up my first subaru. 1997 legacy! Really loving the vehicle for a whopping 850 bucks that I paid. It is my "beater car" but I want to make sure I take care of her. Currently sitting at a around 220k miles and still running strong.

Full album here. http://imgur.com/a/CJYLR#3

List of things to do:

Headlights

I would like a different hood.

Front bumper - outback bumper is said to fit up quite nicely?

Front brakes and rotors - wrx calipers and rotors? not sure what year yet.

sway bar - I don't like the body roll right now.

kyb outback springs and struts? again not sure year

Hatchback door will not open almost like the cable is snapped for the release

Some rust spots that need to be patched with some bondo or just new panels

New speakers as i will be driving this vehicle a lot :p

Any suggestions from you guys would be appreciated. Really want to keep this girl in running order.

Pipe dreams:

Would love to take a g60 corrado supercharger and mount it up .. just to provide like 5-7psi. Just a bit more power out of the old beast but i'm thinking maybe once I get used to wrenching on this car before doing something as bold as that. I do have old parts from my old mx62.5gt to donate for that project later down the road.

As you can see in the photos it was kept pretty clean except for a few minor things.

http://i.imgur.com/prILyh.jpg

Yeah came with those rims. I really wanna get the struts springs and brakes done.

Just got new headlights and crank pulley. Going to hit up the junk yard for a hood and bumper later this week. Kind of excited! Lots of support on this vehicle!

Is there a list of compatible parts from other subaru models. I know some 04 05 sti parts will fit such as calipers and rotors. Outback Years??? there has to be a list. Sorry for being such a newb but I gotta learn the stickies are not tellin me much on this part :p

99 Outback will be the best parts car to find. I have a 97 sedan, and put the later 2 piece lights, grill and front bumper from an Outback on. You need to change the metal bumper support to fit the plastic bumper. The headlights electrical connectors need to be changed as well.

It sounds like the linkage to the rear hatch door handle is broken or the door lock is seized in the lock position.

Thats a nice find for what you paid, welcome to the Subaru family.

thanks diagtech!

Looks like i'm after the 99 outback springs, hood, and bumper then if i'm reading you right. That vehicle should do the trick.

My buddy has a wrx 04 model and is hooking me up with his struts for free. Now the 04 calipers and rotors should also fit. ( found these not sure if these are a good deal http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-05-SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX-TURBO-OEM-FACTORY-FRONT-RH-LH-BRAKE-CALIPERS-GDA-EJ205-/280925384339?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4168752e93&vxp=mtr#ht_2353wt_976)

I have new headlights already ordered to replace the busted up ones I have. Now to find a new gauge cluster with a tach on it. Kinda hate not having a tach. Anything from 90-99 should work right?

The Outback instrument cluster will not work. The speedometer has a different controller, and won't function. I think you need to find another 2.2 that had a tach, but I'm not sure.

I'm also not sure of the front brakes. I am planning to upgrade mine to Outback front brakes, need something to fit under 15" wheels as I use the Legacy for winter rallycross. I may end up using 16" wheels, not sure yet.

You can also swap over the heated mirrors and seats from an Outback. They do need to be wired, the L's do not have the wiring installed. Make sure to grab all switches and electrical connectors.

Note: my goal is just MPG for this car.

Base MPG so far is 28.68 MPG mixed hwy/city with no mods done yet

Mods I want to do

Lightened crank pulley - purchased waiting to install

msd blaster coil - purchased waiting to install

cold air intake - shopping for a better price

exhaust - still researching

After each install I will do a weekly test and post results to see what has worked and what has not.

Due to the busted links on the aftermarket parts section i'm posting this in hopes this will work. Unless someone knows of a dealer for less 220 bucks :-/ Was hoping to find used.

It says i need a MAF adapter plate if I go with a cold air intake. - http://www.sogaimport.com/product.php?productid=16744

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WEAPON-R-Cold-Air-Intake-90-91-1992-1993-1994-1995-1996-1997-1998-SUBARU-LEGACY-/251003960366?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a71007c2e&vxp=mtr#ht_5737wt_976

i havent seen any mpg gains from the msd coil at all. i did it after seeing my mileage sit at 26 for a while, then it dropped to 24. i thought i did something wrong, hehe. still have no idea why it dropped, i can get 29-30 on highway trips but in the city or over 80 mph its 22-25.

i havent seen any mpg gains from the msd coil at all. i did it after seeing my mileage sit at 26 for a while, then it dropped to 24. i thought i did something wrong, hehe. still have no idea why it dropped, i can get 29-30 on highway trips but in the city or over 80 mph its 22-25.

I will cross that off my list! Thanks for the heads up.

• I Donated
I thought the brake compatibility was in the suspension sticky? Perhaps brok needs to add (if he can be bothered of course)

I'll get on it

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated
Yea, Brok's a lazy SOB....two jobs and a family he's got a bunch of extra time..:lol:

I only have one job - but then I do side work too....and I work a shit ton of hours at my normal job.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

The best thing anyone can do to improve fuel mileage in any vehicle, is change driving habits. I noticed when doing mileage tests for a dealer, how easily I could get more mileage than the actual rating by using light throttle/braking/steering, having the blower on low or off, windows open slightly or up, AC off/defrost off.

On older vehicles, a few other things can help mileage. So many vehicles I inspect have brake components that are seized or do not move freely. This keeps them semi-applied when released, causing drag.

A complete tune up can always help. Cleaning the throttle body, IAC, PCV, and intake manifold is cheap and easy. Getting a pressurized fuel injection service with terra clean or seafoam will bring fuel injectors back to proper flow rates. Changing the fuel filter, and a complete ignition tune-up would be about it.

A fine line here may be the front O2 sensor. These guys can get lazy and not cause the ECU to throw codes. Depending on cost it may be beneficial to replace it, although many fuel injection services have proven to "liven up" old O2 sensors.

As it seems to me, modifying will not greatly increase or decrease mileage. On the Legacy I ported the heads and the intake manifold a bit, cleaned everything and tuned up. Removed second cat and WRX axle-back, K&N drop in filter. This car is still gutless, and I lost some of my highway mileage :lol:

My Impreza on the other hand gets slightly better mileage after many mods and turns on when you hit the pedal.

Archived