LegacyGT.com

dp do I need to get a tune?

bony19

Hi All

I just recently purchased a lgt 05 with a bad turbo. I just got a new turbo for the car and also catless up and aftermarket catback. Debatting if I get a aftermarket dp ,either catted or catless dp will I need a tune for the car? And also any infor will I need to check to make the car more reliable?

thanks

Before throwing a new turbo on there make sure you inspect the oil system for metal debris (pan, cooler, banjo filters if you still have them), otherwise you could end up blowing the new turbo and/or engine very quickly.

I always assume that if u buy a catted dp u didnt have to get it tune?. ..I brought both vf40 n vf 52. Because of the money factor for tunning and buying a ap was costing me $$$. I just wanted best bang for your the budget . Any best subjection for saving $$$ for more hp?

Thanks

I always assume that if u buy a catted dp u didnt have to get it tune?. ..I brought both vf40 n vf 52. Because of the money factor for tunning and buying a ap was costing me $$$. I just wanted best bang for your the budget . Any best subjection for saving $$$ for more hp?

Thanks

It depends on the DP. If it is a free flow, you need a tune. And if it's not a free flow, you are losing tons of HP, even with a better turbo.

The major restriction is in the stock, non free flow DP.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I always assume that if u buy a catted dp u didnt have to get it tune?. ..I brought both vf40 n vf 52. Because of the money factor for tunning and buying a ap was costing me $$$. I just wanted best bang for your the budget .

Wait, what?

You're concerned about the cost of getting it tuned, but you bought two different turbos??

Any best subjection for saving $$$ for more hp?

Thanks

I think that's an oxymoron

The stock DP's restrictions are certainly not due only to the cats. And even so, any aftermarket DP that has a cat is going to have a high flow, race style cat which really has no similarities to the oem ones in terms of density and flow. Not to mention the fact that the real restriction in the oem DP is that plate that sits right in front of the iwg. ANY aftermarket DP will do away with that plate.

The bottom line is ANY aftermarket DP will require a tune. Period. 3", 2.5", catted, catless, shorty, whatever, you need a tune.

Also, you CANNOT run the vf52 without a tune, no way, no how. It flows a LOT more air than the vf40. If you cannot afford to tune the car, you cannot afford to mod the car. Doesn't mean you need to buy an AP, but if you're running a non-oem turbo and a DP, you need a custom tune.

Thanks all for everyone input. I know that when I install vf52 it an automatic that I need a tune. But if I keep it stock I be safe. The reason I ask was I used to have 02 wrx wagon. I keep the stock turbo, but I upgraded a catted dp and catless up and the whole cat back without any tunes. So this why I ask peeps in the forum for advise because I never have lgt before and never expect it such a high maintenance compare to my old bugeyes.

Car was total because some idiot hit me from the back. but no issue issue with the piston or engine. It ran strong with no hicup. This why I figure if i got a catted dp it wont show any code on the engine. On the wrx wagon I just have aftermaket inlet, dp, up, intake. and it pull strong. So I dont know why everyone here is flaming me about having tune.

Even if the car did run alright, which I doubt, why would you spend money on all those parts and not tune for them?

Why people insist on bolting on performance parts without tuning for those parts is beyond me. Do people really think that the tune doesn't make a difference?!?

Archived