LegacyGT.com

Legacy First Car?

ksb24

Turned 18 not too long ago, and am looking to get my first car! The car will mainly be used for commuting to my college (10 miles away). Orignally I wanted a 3.5 altima, maxima, v6 fusion, or a v6 accord. But today I saw a subaru legacy and I loved it. The interior on these cars seems top notch, and they look pretty nice too on the outside. But the one I found was an 08 with a regular 2.5i engine putting out 170 hp. When I read that these cars go 0-60 in 10 seconds i was quickly turned off. But then I noticed they have turbo versions and started to look for one in my price range but had trouble finding a decent one. Either they had too much miles, or too many owners in too short of a time period.

Should I still look into getting a 2.5gt? I was also wondering how the insurance would be on this turbo car? The car would be under my father and I would be a secondary driver.

Budget-15k (any other suggestions)???

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
$15,000 could get you a decent LGT. Probably an older one with lower mileage or a newer one with higher mileage. Check out the sale section of this forum, the members on this forum takes good care of their cars. You wouldn't need to worry about people abusing their LGT if you are buying from them.

Here's my experience and opinion:

When I was your age, I had the pleasure of driving an Altima 3.5SE (it was my mom's). Depending on the year, you have 240-250hp at your disposal. If you're a young gearhead, you will definitely get into some trouble with that kind of power, whether it's speeding tickets or getting into an accident. Me, I got into a near fatal accident.

I'm not trying to be biased just because I have a 2.5i, but it makes more sense overall. N/A Subarus are known to be more reliable than their turbocharged counterparts (especially if you're buying used) and are cheaper to run. Since it's your "commuting to college" car, I'd assume reliability and cost have a higher priority than speed.

Also, since it's "slow", your buddies will be less likely to ask for the keys and potentially smash it up during a joyride. To the girls, most wont notice the difference between a 2.5i and a GT. I get compliments on my car all the time (trying not be cocky here).

At the end of the day, I'd suggest the smaller engine of whatever sedan you choose. I hear the Altima's 4-cylinder is garbage though, so I'd rather have an Accord 4-cyl or Legacy 2.5i. It's your first car afterall. Give your dad's wallet a break and dont worry your mother with a quick car.

If you want to consider buying new, I recommend the Honda Fit.

When I was your age, I had the pleasure of driving an Altima 3.5SE (it was my mom's). Depending on the year, you have 240-250hp at your disposal. If you're a young gearhead, you will definitely get into some trouble with that kind of power, whether it's speeding tickets or getting into an accident. Me, I got into a near fatal accident.

I'm not trying to be biased just because I have a 2.5i, but it makes more sense overall. N/A Subarus are known to be more reliable than their turbocharged counterparts (especially if you're buying used) and are cheaper to run. Since it's your "commuting to college" car, I'd assume reliability and cost have a higher priority than speed.

Also, since it's "slow", your buddies will be less likely to ask for the keys and potentially smash it up during a joyride. To the girls, most wont notice the difference between a 2.5i and a GT. I get compliments on my car all the time (trying not be cocky here).

At the end of the day, I'd suggest the smaller engine of whatever sedan you choose. I hear the Altima's 4-cylinder is garbage though, so I'd rather have an Accord 4-cyl or Legacy 2.5i. It's your first car afterall. Give your dad's wallet a break and dont worry your mother with a quick car.

Actually today while I was thinking in the shower (haha) I thought about exactly what you said and see it as a smarter route. If I dont get an lgt it will be alot easier finding a nicer and newer 2.5i. But the thing is if my dad test drives the car and sees that it doesnt have much power/acceleration he might not want me to get it cause he is the one that was pushing me towards v6 sedans.

I myself am tall and so are all of my friends so I dont know how great the honda fit would be for me haha.

Also, would insurance be alot higher because of the turbo? I dont know if the gt is specified as a sports car.

Its higher, but not much. Mainly because the GT is a more expensive car than the fact that it has a turbo.

Im assuming you are looking at 4th gen cars based on budget? How mechanically inclined are you?

18 + GT + 10 second 0-60 turns me off = you are not allowed to drive anything with more than 200hp till you are 21 in the interest of increasing your lifespan. So says the Legacy Council.

re: Height...

I'm 6' with a 33" inseam (long-ish legs). I find that I drive with the seat all the way back in the OBXT (power seats) and on the second to last notch on the unlimited LGT (non-power seats). If you are tall I suggest you SIT in all of these cars for comfort purposes not just look at them.

HP, mileage and price matter little when you are always uncomfortable driving it. Why I never owned a Miata.

Its higher, but not much. Mainly because the GT is a more expensive car than the fact that it has a turbo.

Im assuming you are looking at 4th gen cars based on budget? How mechanically inclined are you?

Well I wont be the primary driver, my father will be so shouldnt be bad. But yea im looking for a 4th gen model but year doesnt really matter too much. I am going to college for mechanical engineering and have worked on dirt bikes and quads before so I have some experience not too much (I know cars are different.) But my neighbor is a mechanic and has helped my family out with problems that werent so simple so he could help me out if anything, I am always eager to learn though especially about cars so I will definitely do a few mods too it nothing crazy though.

How does this car look? http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=94016905&listingRecNum=14&criteria=prMx%3D15000%26sf1Dir%3DDESC%26prMn%3D0%26mkId%3D20041%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D21378%26rd%3D30%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice%26zc%3D07057%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national&listType=1

That price is a bit high due to dealer. I suggest you go private party. If you are not the primary driver, comfort matters a LOT less.

It sounds like you know how to use a torque wrench and have access to whatever help you need.

May I make a very serious suggestion since your budget is so generous for someone your age...

GO ON CRAIGSLIST and search under cars and trucks using the keyword "CUSTOM" and then with the keyword "SHOW" before you purchase. There might be something really cool in there you and your dad would be into (do not include the word subaru, legacy or anything other than custom or show)

Just a thought. I like to drool there.

That price is a bit high due to dealer. I suggest you go private party. If you are not the primary driver, comfort matters a LOT less.

It sounds like you know how to use a torque wrench and have access to whatever help you need.

May I make a very serious suggestion since your budget is so generous for someone your age...

GO ON CRAIGSLIST and search under cars and trucks using the keyword "CUSTOM" and then with the keyword "SHOW" before you purchase. There might be something really cool in there you and your dad would be into (do not include the word subaru, legacy or anything other than custom or show)

Just a thought. I like to drool there.

Well what I meant was my father will be the primary driver on the insurance and I will be secondary. But I will be using the car more often. I did sit in the legacy and really liked the comfort of it in the front and the back was good too.

Well I wont be the primary driver, my father will be so shouldnt be bad. But yea im looking for a 4th gen model but year doesnt really matter too much. I am going to college for mechanical engineering and have worked on dirt bikes and quads before so I have some experience not too much (I know cars are different.) But my neighbor is a mechanic and has helped my family out with problems that werent so simple so he could help me out if anything, I am always eager to learn though especially about cars so I will definitely do a few mods too it nothing crazy though.

How does this car look? http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=94016905&listingRecNum=14&criteria=prMx%3D15000%26sf1Dir%3DDESC%26prMn%3D0%26mkId%3D20041%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D21378%26rd%3D30%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice%26zc%3D07057%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national&listType=1

I got my car from a member of this forum about 1 1/2 years ago, and the car was in a really great condition, I also took the car to a member of this forum also, a mechanic and he complimented on the car also, so I think you might want to browse around the forum for members here selling their car, I'm pretty sure its better than going to a dealer, i drove about 22k miles on the car and its hitting 100k in 2k miles and there hasn't been anything wrong with the car at all

Honestly, I'm 23. I've been driving the same 165 HP car since I turned 16 (13, if you count the time I drove it up our ice-covered driveway when my mom couldn't.) It's not a lot of power, and I'm looking for more now, but trust me you can have quite a bit of fun regardless.

250hp at the crank is hardly anything "dangerous".

I had a 350whp Mustang at age 19 and i never got killed.

Its a Legacy, not a Viper.

250hp at the crank is hardly anything "dangerous".

I had a 350whp Mustang at age 19 and i never got killed.

I know a guy who got killed on a 5hp lawn mower. Therefore anything above that is dangerous. You lose. Oh wait... that is a completely irrelevant measure of safety. My bad.

I've been hit while riding a bicycle by a 250'ish hp car driven by a 16 year old. I assure you, they can be dangerous.

If you want the studies/etc, just search around for one of the other 1000+ threads where some douchenozzle decided that since he escaped the danger introduced by his parent's wholesale incompetence that must mean there was no danger in the first place.

OP: I'd go with a 2.5i for reasons already mentioned. You need a commuter car that you're going to be in for 30 minutes out of your day. Pick up a used one and you won't take much of a hit on resale, buy yourself a proper toy car later if you're just itching for acceleration.

I know a guy who got killed on a 5hp lawn mower. Therefore anything above that is dangerous. You lose. Oh wait... that is a completely irrelevant measure of safety. My bad.

I've been hit while riding a bicycle by a 250'ish hp car driven by a 16 year old. I assure you, they can be dangerous.

If you want the studies/etc, just search around for one of the other 1000+ threads where some douchenozzle decided that since he escaped the danger introduced by his parent's wholesale incompetence that must mean there was no danger in the first place.

OP: I'd go with a 2.5i for reasons already mentioned. You need a commuter car that you're going to be in for 30 minutes out of your day. Pick up a used one and you won't take much of a hit on resale, buy yourself a proper toy car later if you're just itching for acceleration.

Any other cars i should look at?

At least your SN is appropriate for your opinion.

There's a reason corollas and civics have such a broad reputation for being bullet proof first/commuter cars...

And are boring and useless. Seriously get the lgt, 240hp was a lot 10 years ago, now almost every car has equal or more power than it. You're 18 and have likely gone through the idiotic high school phase anyways.

People telling you these cars are fast are joking themselves. Stock mustang gts have 400hp. You will be fine, plus its safe and awd.

Archived