LegacyGT.com

Do I need a EGT in the Uppipe?

subaruski

I just replaced my uppipe with a stock STI pipe which of course does not have the bung. I used a 2.2k ohm resistor in the connector and covered with tape. I was weary about not using the EGT sensor in an aftermarket pipe but after plenty of reading I'm satisfied that it is unnecessary.

The unforeseen problem I guess would be that the sensor somehow breaks off and damages your turbo. Unlikely but possible.

From what I have read pre 07 had catted uppipes, so presumably you would want one with the bung. Basically to either throw the O2 sensor in there or an exhaust temp sensor for the gauge if you are going to install one. I just put the GReddy pipe on mine last Friday with the bung and no problems so far, but there are also other drivers that are running bungless with no problems.

You'll only see a few recorded events of melted EGT sensors on the the interwebs because it mostly happens to stock cars or lightly modified ones. The people that don't visit forums. The people on the forums usually remove the EGT fairly quickly. You're also gonna hear less and less because all new turbo subarus DON'T come with one.

The Stock EGT sensor could be useful for tunning, if it wouldn't fry so quickly. They're not meant for the higher temps we create when we mod the car. They burn up pretty easily.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I just replaced my uppipe with a stock STI pipe which of course does not have the bung. I used a 2.2k ohm resistor in the connector and covered with tape.

What temperature does the ECU think your exhaust is?

I wonder what the ECU uses the temperature information for... my only guess is that it varies AFRs to achieve some particular EGT during idle and/or cruise, and I'm a little leery of putting in a fixed resistor without knowing what the ECU is going to do in response.

You'll only see a few recorded events of melted EGT sensors on the the interwebs because it mostly happens to stock cars or lightly modified ones. The people that don't visit forums.

How did you come across information about these failures?

What temperature does the ECU think your exhaust is?

I wonder what the ECU uses the temperature information for... my only guess is that it varies AFRs to achieve some particular EGT during idle and/or cruise, and I'm a little leery of putting in a fixed resistor without knowing what the ECU is going to do in response.

I remember seeing a temperature of around 600F with the resistor installed.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, my friend and I were having a discussion about my car. It is a 2009 LGT Limited. He says that my car needs an EGT sensor on my uppipe and says that my uppipe has an EGT sensor. He says that if I don't have it, my car will throw up CEL errors all over the place.

Is this fact or fiction? I used the search function on the forums and could not see anything about an EGT sensor on my 09 LGT.

I would appreciate insight as well, about EGT sensors and why my car will throw cells all over the place if I don't have one.

I just replaced my uppipe with a stock STI pipe which of course does not have the bung. I used a 2.2k ohm resistor in the connector and covered with tape. I was weary about not using the EGT sensor in an aftermarket pipe but after plenty of reading I'm satisfied that it is unnecessary.

The unforeseen problem I guess would be that the sensor somehow breaks off and damages your turbo. Unlikely but possible.

How long have you had this set up and have you seen any problems with it?

**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

I replaced it about a month ago and have put 2000ish miles on it. No problems at all and I have the added peace of mind that there isn't a cat that can fall apart and damage my turbo. I paid $60 for the Sti pipe. I reused the old gaskets but I would recommend that you replace them with new Subaru gaskets.

Archived