LegacyGT.com

benefit to buying upgraded balljoints

jeffy2.5xt

im planning on doing my ball joints here in the near future......uughh. just curious before i start to source my parts, is there any real benefit to buying say some whiteline pieces over some moogs or something of that nature. not sure on pricing difference but im going to assume that wl bits would cost a few extra dollars. not really looking to build out a race car suspension or anything but certainly wouldnt mind gaining a little extra durability and performance for a few extra dollars if im doing the job anyways.

experiences and opinions?

The Whiteline ball joints are part of the roll center correction kit, which puts the suspension and steering geometry back into the correct position after lowering the car. This reduces body roll in the front end by shortening the distance between the roll center and the center of gravity, and reduces the bump steer effect.

The benefits become more pronounced the lower the car is from factory spec. When I was lowered on Swift springs (~2.1" drop up front) there was a marked improvement from installing the kit. I generally recommend it for anyone running any of our available lowering springs, or even coilovers with a mild drop. I still run it with my Bilstein coilovers, which lower the car ~1" from stock.

Hit me up for a quote if you decide to go the Whiteline route, or OEM. I don't supply Moog but have had good success with their endlinks on street driven cars.

• 1 month later...
no point to using them since, with an non-lowered car, it moves the tie rods and LCAs out of normal operating ranges. if your suspension is at stock ride height, dont waste you $$ on aftermarket parts you dont need.

it might be ok, but the WL joints are now farther out of their normal operating range and they make noise and wear out faster. this happened to me over the winter when i took my coilovers out to service them. i had my stock struts/springs in and the ball joints started making a ton of creaking noise since they were always at and angle and the grease couldn't circulate through them properly. ended up having to get new ones since they developed some play.

yep. best way to know for sure is to put you hand on the ball joint while a friend turns the wheel back and forth alittle to make the noise. you will be able to feel the creking in the ball joint. car should be full on the ground with full normal load on the suspension.

• 3 weeks later...

I put the white line kit in when I had coilovers. That was 70k miles ago give or take. Now I have Koni's/Epics in place on the wagon.

Went to have my new tires mounted and drivers side Ball joint is getting loose. So I need to decide If I buy a new new WL bump steerkit, or go back to stock replacement parts.. Time being the deciding factor, Local parts let me Change it this weekend, and get an alignment next week. I wont have as much free time next weekend either...

Major difference between the two with the Epic springs? Or just save some cash and make it all simple buy getting it done this weekend?

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I went and bought Moog BJs and went back to the stock tie tod ends. Not a good idea. I'm getting contact with the sway bar to the tie rods. Shifted swaybar, now it's less but still there.

Just re-ordered the roll center kit from FredBeansParts, good price thanks, and will take it all back apart again. Grrr. Oh, and another alignment, yipee!

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Archived