LegacyGT.com

Bolt up turbocharger upgrade - Vol-2

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe that's Steve Johnson's S&S Performance shop in Alpine, CA - about 25 mins from where I lived in San Diego. Good guy and builds them right. Would let him build one for me if I was in a #ynasbn situation, and not building it myself from scratch. ;)
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

just bought this

http://www.subaruperformanceengines.com/imagepages/image20.html

my 23psi BNR turbo split my stock block- liner and all...

Get a refund!!! Buy direct from the people who actually make them, not this guy. Long story, he is local and so are the folks who actually make them.

The blocks come from Outfront Motorsports.

Believe that's Steve Johnson's S&S Performance shop in Alpine, CA - about 25 mins from where I lived in San Diego. Good guy and builds them right. Would let him build one for me if I was in a #ynasbn situation, and not building it myself from scratch. ;)

I beg to differ.

• Moderators

I thought outfront motors ports has developed a shitty rep in recent times. Is that not true?

EDIT: not true--I believe I was thinking of the Outback/Infront shop in WA.

Edited by BarManBean

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I thought outfront motors ports has developed a shitty rep in recent times. Is that not true?

There is Outback in Wa that I think has developed a shitty rep in recent times. Don't remember reading anything about Outfront recently.

/I hope not because they machined mine I think.

• Moderators
There is Outback in Wa that I think has developed a shitty rep in recent times. Don't remember reading anything about Outfront recently.

/I hope not because they machined mine I think.

Sounds like im thinking of something else.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Outback Automotive of Auburn, WA recently changed their name to Infront Automotive, after reportedly receiving a C&D from SOA. Even prior to this change, many were experiencing subpar service and labor; those of us local to that shop and have had such an experience, no longer recommend people use them.

My personal experience was limited to a phonecall with John when I was shopping around for parts and such. I had heard that they did headwork, and called for a quote.

I was quoted $800 for basic headwork. No 5-angle valve job, PnP, just what was needed to bolt them back on. Using the list in my ERSL, it should cost about half that-- $400. I later learned that they (Outback/Infront) didn't actually have a machine shop/facilities on-site and would be farming out the work, most likely to Heads Up!, a reknown automotive machine shop in the area, then marking up the price. I haven't called back since, and don't plan to. After hearing other's poor experiences there, and seeing some of their build quality in person, I'm not impressed enough to recommend that folks take their cars there, and if asked, I'm honest about it -

I would wager that, at some point in the near future, enough of their mistakes will have stacked and be made known, that they will be forced to close.

Yes. Outfront Motorsports was Outback Motorsports like 15 years ago. They got the C and D from Subaru long ago.

One has been around far longer than the other. One has a far superior reputation. One was never happy the other was "riding coat tails".

Yes. Outfront Motorsports was Outback Motorsports like 15 years ago. They got the C and D from Subaru long ago.

One has been around far longer than the other. One has a far superior reputation. One was never happy the other was "riding coat tails".

I think I guess which one. .

• 5 weeks later...

Never mind, i found your post MrTris.

I don't know, But I've always talked about getting a 16g for my 5EAT DD some day and now the time has come urgently to replace the turbo in a timely fashion :spin: like yesterday.

Edited by HellShadow70

Y U NO buy a JmP Custom40?

Because there's no comparison on the flow capacity on the hot side?

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.