LegacyGT.com

So I went to pick up an oil filter on Friday

The parts guy recognized me from having been in there just a couple of months ago to get a filter, and told me that Subaru has switched suppliers of its oil filters. And he said that they have found that the new supplier uses a gasket that is slightly thinner than the old gasket. As a result, the metal lip of the filter comes into contact with the engine before the gasket can compress sufficiently. Therefore, with the new filters he said that they have noticed persistent oil leaks. I asked him if there were any suitable aftermarket filters, and he suggested another filter, whose brand I can't for the life of me remember right now. They sold them, and he said they used them on all of their fleet vehicles, and that it has a higher oil capacity than the OEM filter. The one he suggested was yellow...I don't know the brand, but it was a very recognizeable name...

Anyway, I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone in case you've recently changed your oil and noticed that you've suddenly got a leak.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, I wasn't sure if it had made the rounds here or not; nothing turned up when I did a quick search. So far (after 1 day's use), the aftermarket filter he gave me has held up fine. I will be sure to post daily updates hereafter.

Leaks already? :lol:

Last time they tried another crappy filter same thing happened and they went to Tokyo Roki. I hope it happens again.

I bought 30 black fillers anyway, so I am set for few years.

I use Purolator PurOne Micronic filters, 14612 is the number I think. Juts SAY NO TO A FRAM!!!

Bosch filters have served me well also.

That just triggered my memory. I'm pretty certain that the filter I put on was a Pennzoil. It was slightly, but noticeably larger than the standard filter.

I went to Purolator PureOne 14610. Same specs, but about 1/2" taller filter.

I just installed one this morning. Just a quality filter, and the grippy exterior material (which DOES NOT come off and get into the filter anymore), allows me to write the date/mileage of the oil change on it (in case of warranty crap).

So far for the past few weeks we have been using the new filters and not 1 single leak.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

can a oil filter really make a difference? I use fram no problems.

Sure can. Ask those whose engines crapped out from using a Fram. Not sure if the newer ones are better, but after seeing the crap from the older ones, I definitely would never use a fram on either of my cars:eek:

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Never had a problem with the "pure one" (Purolator). I did have a Bosch leak once. Never has a fram on the Subaru, but my brother had pull his stock car off the track because of low oil pressure. He replaced the Fram with an AC and all was better 10 minutes later. I have never used a Fram since.

I run factory filters in both cars regardless of oil.

If I remember I'll swing by and get OEM filters, but with this new news I may not, But I had the dealer do my last change out of necessity, I wonder what they used.... I'll keep track of my oil level though.

If I buy an aftermarket I always use Purolator, sometimes I'll go withe Pure One just depends on how much I want to spend. Never had a problem with a puralotor and I've used them for the last 6 years....

while I have never owned a GT I have used Fram exclusively on all three of my Suby's so far. I change oil every 3-3500 miles religiously.

56K on the BE and all but the first Fram.

45K on the BL and two changes on the BD.

A total of about 30 oil changes. Never a leak, never a problem.

Just my 2 cents.

O.

Fram has had some construction and quality control issues. AFAIK, I've never once heard of their latest "tough guard" series having a problem.

Purolator vs. Purolator PureOne is a tangible difference, for approximately twice the cost. If you look at one next to the other, you see where the money went. The PureOne has a much sturdier construction, using a higher quality filtering medium.

If you go aftermarket (i.e. Purolator/Wix/Napa/etc.), go with their "robust" line....otherwise, go OEM.

I'd try the Mobil One filters except they are SOOO small.....I don't like that, since the oil filter is a heat sink for the oil, acts as extra sump capacity (and yes, an extra .2 quarts IS significant), and usually filters will provide better filtering with better flow when they are larger.

Maybe Mobil One is just a superior design.

Joe

I heard opinion that the filter should not be large because the filter is surrounded by the exhaust manifold/header and more oil = hotter oil, theory being it stays in the filter longer.

Not sure if it really makes that much of a difference, but I'd play it safe and use OEM filters or OEM sized filters - one of Mobil 1 filter is.

Unclemat - Yeah, you or someone made that point in another thread....hence why I like taller filters....just as close to the header, more overall volume/heat sink.

AFAIK, the oil filter is one huge freaking heat sink for the the entire oil capacity. While I wouldn't want it closer to a heat source. I don't think it has any capacity to get HOTTER while in the filter.

I know a few things about this, but I don't want to say I'm an expert. So take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. And maybe a spruce of sugar.

Archived