LegacyGT.com

Safe to use 104 octane gas?

I will be in the area of a gas station that either has 100 or 104 octane gas tomorrow. I was going to get some to see how it goes. A one time thing because I am sure it is a lot more expensive than 91. I just want to make sure that it wont have any bad effects on the engine. Please let me know. I would really appreciate the help. If it makes a difference I have a SPT aftermarket intake installed in the car but nothing else performance wise.
07 SWP LGT Limited - SPT CBE, Invidia UP, Invidia DP, Grimmspeed EBCS, AVO TMIC, DW65c pump, SPT Intake, ISC Coilover

Well I am probably going to try it anyways just to do it once haha. Assuming I can find the place. I was told about it today so i am going to try to find it tomorrow when im in the area.
07 SWP LGT Limited - SPT CBE, Invidia UP, Invidia DP, Grimmspeed EBCS, AVO TMIC, DW65c pump, SPT Intake, ISC Coilover

um the car is ment to run on 91, so yea try it and see what happen, dont forget to disconnect the battery. If you want to run the car empty, when the dash gauge says 20, 10, -- (miles left) when It just hits -- you have about 1.5 gallons of gas left

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

I will be in the area of a gas station that either has 100 or 104 octane gas tomorrow. I was going to get some to see how it goes. A one time thing because I am sure it is a lot more expensive than 91. I just want to make sure that it wont have any bad effects on the engine. Please let me know. I would really appreciate the help. If it makes a difference I have a SPT aftermarket intake installed in the car but nothing else performance wise.

You may already know this, but in case you do not, I offer the following:

Since octane, simply speaking, is a measurement of how much pressure the gasoline can take before spontaneous combustion, I would say 104 octane is a total wast of time as there is no more energy in 104 octane then there is in 91 octane. Unless, as mentioned, your car is set to run at incredibly high compression and needs the higher octane to prevent pre-ignition.

There is always the chance that 104 won't burn correctly and will diminish performance and mileage. As far as damage, not sure...

For all we know that gas station may be selling the gas labeled in RON instead, which makes it much less spectacular.

Not likely in the US, as I beleve the federal requirement is to post as R+M/2

Like others have said, there is no benefit. But why are you running 91 if you're in CT? Don't you guys have 93?

I've seen too much octane loose power on a dyno. Had a buddy put 116 in a turbo Mustang and it wasn't making the power he expected. Data logger showed zero knock even when throttle was slammed open. Dumped in a couple of gallons of 91, the car picked up about 28 hp at the wheels.

Not likely in the US, as I beleve the federal requirement is to post as R+M/2

Like others have said, there is no benefit. But why are you running 91 if you're in CT? Don't you guys have 93?

Yea some places have 93 but there are very few around me so I usually put 91 in. When I get a chance I do put in 93. Anyways i couldnt find the place so i didnt do it. Guess I will just stick to 91 for now.

Archived