LegacyGT.com

spec.B guys please help with lowering springs

BigBlack-V

I have an 08 spec.B with Cobb springs which I am not too fond of. They make noise and they are a bit too low I feel for my Bilstein struts IMO. I am interested in a set of USDM pink springs ideally but if they are not easy to come across I will consider aftermarket springs.

What springs (lower then stock) would work best on my spec.B?

Will the set of 08 STI springs I have be lower then stock if so how much lower?

I would appreciate any help, thank you

Jay

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am running pinks in the front (stock Bilsteins), and stock everything in the rear.

Slight rake but perfect IMO. My front rode abnormally high from the factory. Great ride, and no suspension noise.

This angle makes the rake look obvious, but its really pretty flat.

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz199/LGTSpecB/SNC12200-1.jpg

Here is another one where it looks a little flatter

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz199/LGTSpecB/SNC12492-1.jpg

I have an 08 spec.B with Cobb springs which I am not too fond of. They make noise and they are a bit too low I feel for my Bilstein struts IMO. I am interested in a set of USDM pink springs ideally but if they are not easy to come across I will consider aftermarket springs.

What springs (lower then stock) would work best on my spec.B?

Will the set of 08 STI springs I have be lower then stock if so how much lower?

I would appreciate any help, thank you

Jay

USDM Pink springs do not exist. They are all JDM.

STi springs do not work. The STi is lighter and the spring rates don't work well with a LGT.

If you are unhappy with Cobbs you need to stay stock. The drop on a Cobb is very slight. Maybe 1/2 -3/4 inches at most. They are also very mild in rate. Almost like a stock spring just a tad shorter. If you have issues now there is NO combo using your Bilsteins that I could recommend other than an OEM set up for you.

USDM Pink springs do not exist. They are all JDM.

STi springs do not work. The STi is lighter and the spring rates don't work well with a LGT.

If you are unhappy with Cobbs you need to stay stock. The drop on a Cobb is very slight. Maybe 1/2 -3/4 inches at most. They are also very mild in rate. Almost like a stock spring just a tad shorter. If you have issues now there is NO combo using your Bilsteins that I could recommend other than an OEM set up for you.

I thought the Cobb springs had more of a drop then what you stated above but I could be wrong. I guess I just dont like them because of the creeking noise they make over bumps (at a slower speed). I do however have 1/4 " spacers in the rears which IMO eliminated the ass sag issue. There is a guy with an 09 spec.B in the member classifieds parting out a set of pink springs which is why i asked. Also alot of guys on here I hear run those springs and like them.

You had stated the 08 STI stock springs I have will not work on my car? I ask because I have a spare set that was given to me by a friend.

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

+1 on what mike said. a set of jdm pinks might be what your looking for if not stay stock.

I have Tien H-techs they dont clunk i think, but my sways clunk with the stock endlinks. i was also told h-techs are ment for the kyb struts and not the bilsteins.

i like my rallitek springs (made by eibach). they ride really nice and don't float like OEM. dropped a little bit maybe an inch. i used 1/4" spacers in the rear for a more level appearance.

with our roads being so bad and having a family ride in the car etc i couldnt imagine having anything that rode worse than these. i dont know how other springs or coilovers compare though.

edit: i only had clunking when my top hat nut was loose

He has "creaking" not "clunking".

Saggy butt shim should not cause any noise. Don't on my 5EAT and I use 3/8".

Pinks are a bit more sporty than Cobb IMHO. But also depends on which Pinks. Lots of options in Pinks. If buying used do you really know what you are getting? Do you have the part numbers?

STi springs fit. But work like crap. STi is lighter. Spring rate is different. STi struts are valved differently and springs are made to match. You can waste your time and put them on. But you will be unhappy. Heck you are unhappy with the Cobbs which are known to be a mild drop and very comfortable.

You could check out MSI. They are selling the Eibach pro kit as their own now that Eibach stopped production (under their own name). But it is similar to the Cobb.

He has "creaking" not "clunking".

Saggy butt shim should not cause any noise. Don't on my 5EAT and I use 3/8".

Pinks are a bit more sporty than Cobb IMHO. But also depends on which Pinks. Lots of options in Pinks. If buying used do you really know what you are getting? Do you have the part numbers?

STi springs fit. But work like crap. STi is lighter. Spring rate is different. STi struts are valved differently and springs are made to match. You can waste your time and put them on. But you will be unhappy. Heck you are unhappy with the Cobbs which are known to be a mild drop and very comfortable.

You could check out MSI. They are selling the Eibach pro kit as their own now that Eibach stopped production (under their own name). But it is similar to the Cobb.

I guess am going to put my BBS wheels on this Friday or Saturday and see how the Cobbs work out with those first. I think the Cobbs were so compressed with my 18's and 245 width tires there was not alot of play which is why it creeked. Maybe I am talking out of my ass I just want to see first and I would rather not do all new springs, sell these springs and get another allignment.

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

Possibly.

Do they have a rubber liner on the lower coils?

If not try and get some material to insulate the coils (with no load). Then when they are loaded up they will at least have the insulation between the metal. Should help the noise.

I have an extra set of the silencers that Cobb sent out with their springs so i can use those possibly but they are already on the car now and they make noise.

scoobydoobie - how much were your pink springs and what year car do you have?

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

Swifts are FAR lower than Cobb. I ride them on my 5EAT (Tokicos). They are also much stiffer than Cobb. If the OP is unhappy with Cobb he will HATE Swift. Especially since he already complained that Cobb was too low.

Why not join our group buy for Pinks? Cheapest price you'll ever see for a new set.

They aren't as low as Swifts or Cobb, closer to iONs. Generally regarded as the best match for the bilsteins. Awesome ride by all accounts. Really the only negative is price - thus the group buy!

Go here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/jdm-sti-pinks-springs-group-buy-132198.html

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

Dont get me wrong I am sure the Cobb's are good springs they are a little softer then I am used to (Eibach Pro kit on my WRX) but it makes the ride feel a little more luxury IMO. Its not that I hate the Cobb's I just dont like that they make so much noise even with the silensor rings things on.

I am getting my new wheels and tires mounted / balanced today so I will ask the shop how much it will cost to replace the springs. I will look into this and depending on price I will make my decision from there.

Thanks alot for the help guys if I do decide to change I am gonna go for pink springs or Swift springs. Does anyone know the exact drop difference between what I have now vs. swift / jdm pinks?

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

Wow thank you. Can you maybe tell me the part number on the pink springs for an 08 spec.B? Would they be the same part # for the 09 spec.B?

The pic and link also say the spec.B and reg LGT pink springs are diff part numbers, why is that due to the bilsteins?

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

I've got Swift springs, front and rear. Love 'em. Nice drop. I ended up putting a saggy butt spacer to level out the ride height. Paired with cobb sways, front and rear and the car handles very nicely.

Anyone else see this chart is off? 15mm is NOT 1"...........25.4mm = 1"

I wouldn't base my purchase off this chart...

...also I can't speak for the other numbers listed, but the Swifts I KNOW are ~1.75" in the front and ~1" rear. Just under a 2 finger gap in the rear and just over a 2 finger in the front when installed.

would these front and rear springs be the proper part number for my 08 spec.B?

Front: ST2033021010 (GT Sedan Manual)

Rear: ST2038021000 (GT Sedan Manual)

There is a guy selling a set for $325 shipped used.

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

Archived