LegacyGT.com

Control Arm Bushings

Hello all,

The subtle clunking is getting on my nerves and I've decided to replace the LCA bushings. Being a diligent forum member, I searched first, and while I got a lot of info, I'm am still a bit confused on some points. Here's what I know:

OEM Bushings: Cheap, last about 70K miles

Poly Bushings (whiteline etc): Last a lot longer, firm up steering, prone to noise and harshness

Group N Bushings: Good compromise but I can't find these for sale anywhere.

Heres what I need to know:

How many LCA bushings do I need to buy? 8 total? Front and Rear? How do I differentiate front from rear?

Can I just buy a set somewhere to replace them all?

Do I need to replace the upper control arm bushings at the same time? If so, I think I'll just go all OEM.

Basicall, can someone direct me to a link where I can get all the control arm bushing to replace and make my car clink free again.

Thanks.

Clunking is probably either sway bar end links or bushings or both. Could be strut tops but check sway bar first.

Whiteline KCA334 does the 2 LCA rear bushings. Front LCA bushings rarely go bad so not worth changing in my opinion. No upper control arm on the front so no bushings to change.

The difference between these less expensive kits and the Whiteline or the AVO kit is that both of these need to be pressed in because they have a solid steel ring around their actual polyurethane portion of the bushing which makes it a solid unit. There is a lot of stress on that particular portion of the suspension and that extra ring of steel strengthens that loop on the back of the LCA and helps to add stability.

Take a look at the KCA334 kit and see the difference in the design. The other thing is that you have a bit of caster you can adjust in after you install the bushings and that makes the car drive much easier.

You can save a few dollars with the Prothane or Energy Suspension bushings but in all honesty, and I'm sure the vendors on here will agree as will the installers, it's a much more robust design by Whiteline which strengthens, stiffens, and for $60, is a lot safer design.

Just my opinion as I've put in a number of sets for people and they've all be extremely happy with the Whiteline.

Good luck in your decision. ;)

I don't doubt the Whiteline is a better product overall. But for my style of driving, the Prothane was enough of an upgrade from stock, at least after one long road trip from Seattle to Portland.

One thing to remember is that the OE also has a steel ring around the bushing meaning that the ring on the LCA is designed to have an extra layer of lamination steel inside of the ring.

I would think that Prothane or Energy Suspension would have already done their research as they are both well respected companies, but keep in mind that you may be compromising the strength design characteristics of the mounting point.

I had a minor vibration at some speeds and found when I crawled under the car that one of the stock LCA bushings was torn... that was at a little over 50,000 miles, IIRC. Since it wasn't bad, I just waited around the forums until some came up for sale, and I bought them. Forum vendors and other members are definitely a good source.

Poly is the way to go. I did front & rear bushings for the LCAs at the same time. I don't see any reason to buy OEM bushings, because you're not going to save much money, especially if you find a deal on the forums. Poly will perform better and last longer. I didn't get Whiteline... whatever I got were offset and mounted inside a steel ring.

Tits mcgee

One thing to remember is that the OE also has a steel ring around the bushing meaning that the ring on the LCA is designed to have an extra layer of lamination steel inside of the ring.

I would think that Prothane or Energy Suspension would have already done their research as they are both well respected companies, but keep in mind that you may be compromising the strength design characteristics of the mounting point.

As the man jumping off the top floor, so far so good. We'll see what happens as the ground gets closer. ;)

Vendor: Boston Motorsports

Needed for the front LCA's:

QTY 1: WL W0506 Whiteline Front Inner Control Arm Bushing Kit 2008-2012 WRX / STi - $47.07

QTY 1: WL KCA334 Whiteline Anti-lift/Caster Kits WRX / STi 2008-2012

Firmness: Standard Anti-Dive Kit - $129.02

Prices were back in 2012, when I did this on the wife's ride.

Had to press out old / in new bushings. Any machine shop can do it. Tell them you'll pay cash.

Went to Boston Motorsports since I was a frequent customer, so I got a discount. Perhaps they'll discount parts for LGT members.

BANNED FROM THE TIKI FORUM. :lol:

Keep in mind, no amount of grease on this planet will keep the bushings from squeaking.

Only squeaks over big bumps (driveways, speedbumps).

Highspeed on highway, while cruising, don't even notice.

BANNED FROM THE TIKI FORUM. :lol:

• 3 months later...

Archived