LegacyGT.com

Those of you tracking your Legacy, what are you using?

Craig S

I just picked up my '06 Legacy GT a couple weeks ago and am thinking it might see the track a few times a year (2-3 tops).

There seem to be quite a few suspension options but it's hard to find feedback from anyone that's tracked the car. I'm not looking to go out and set any track records, but I do want to get it out there an enjoy it a couple times a year. My tolerance for a rough/stiff ride is probably higher than average, but I do still drive my wife and kids around in the car occasionally so I don't want to go too far.

I don't want to drop the car too much, but I do want to get rid of as much squat/dive and roll as I can. The H&R coilovers seem to be a good deal at subimods.com ($1200) and just getting a set of springs/struts would cost almost as much. Has anyone used them?

Thanks.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, I've never tracked my car, but I have been to several autocrosses. One was big enough for me to hit 70 mph in a long curve.

I have Perrin 22mm front and rear anti sway bars and Perrin endlinks. That removed the understeer and gave it some unexpected oversteer in long sweaper curves. I drove it in 4 autocrosses with this set up. I drove it in 3 autocrosses stock.

I have Swift springs on Tokico HTS dampers with the Subaru Spec B tophats. The dampers let you set it softer for travelling on bad roads and harder for nice smooth courses. The springs dropped the car and inch. Then I had Whiteline roll center kit installed to deal with the drop. It is so much better than stock, even after adding the big anti sway bars. I can make tight turns on the autocross course that I could never do before.

There are many coil-overs out there. The good ones are all expensive. I'm sure they work well. I was in a WRX with coil-overs on an autocross and it could do things I just could not.

Bilsteins and pinks with Cusco sways front and rear. I approach track days with a similar mind set as you. I didn't want the car to be too stiff for daily driving and bad roads. I think the H&R coilovers can be a bit harsh. You could also look into KW V2's or BC Racing. If I ever want adjustability, I'll probably get the KW's for my car.

-Franz

Sorry, I've never tracked my car, but I have been to several autocrosses. One was big enough for me to hit 70 mph in a long curve.

I have Perrin 22mm front and rear anti sway bars and Perrin endlinks. That removed the understeer and gave it some unexpected oversteer in long sweaper curves. I drove it in 4 autocrosses with this set up. I drove it in 3 autocrosses stock.

I have Swift springs on Tokico HTS dampers with the Subaru Spec B tophats. The dampers let you set it softer for travelling on bad roads and harder for nice smooth courses. The springs dropped the car and inch. Then I had Whiteline roll center kit installed to deal with the drop. It is so much better than stock, even after adding the big anti sway bars. I can make tight turns on the autocross course that I could never do before.

There are many coil-overs out there. The good ones are all expensive. I'm sure they work well. I was in a WRX with coil-overs on an autocross and it could do things I just could not.

+1 on the above. Biggest dif will be on tires thou. try sways first?

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I've been tracking cars since 1999, so I'm good in that department. I just have two young kids and not too much time so my days of hardcore track driving are on hold for now. :)

I need something I can get out a few times a year and enjoy, but still drive to work the next day.

Adjustability isn't a top priority, I just mentioned the coilover since the price seemed fairly close to what a simple spring/strut setup would cost. Thanks for the feedback on the H&Rs, I don't think I want to spend more than that on a setup so those other coilovers are probably out. I'd probably want to do at least the rear sway bar too, from my reading it seems like it makes a pretty big difference.

I'm almost 100% certain I want to do suspension work on this car, my previous 3 cars were E36 M3s and this car feels like I'm piloting a barge around compared to them. I realize it won't ever be like my M3, but I do want to get closer than it is now.

Thanks for the replys.

You are criticizing the mighty Legacy GT :eek: You realize that the Legacy outperforms any Porsche and is a better car than a Lamborghini (I learned this all here :) ).

Suggesting that a mere BMW handles better than a Legacy is heresy :eek:

This won't end well.

Good luck!

+1 on tires first, then see if you really want to go with different springs/shocks.

tires and shocks/springs or coilovers first. sways change the dynamic of the car and decrease overall grip at the expense of rotation. the first step in controlling body roll is with a good set of dampers and a stiffer spring matched to the damper.

For the OP. start with a really good set of summer tires like brigestome re-11 or kumho ecsta XS. that will get rid of most of your understeer issues untill you reach the limit and make the most difference in your times. once you get good at driving like that, upgrade you struts/springs or get coilovers, but keep you stock sways. get good with this setup and then upgrade your sways and buy r-comp tires to compensate.

I was just looking for feedback on what people are using. There are a ton of posts from people with different combos, but not many mention being on the track with them so I was hoping for some input.

Thanks for all the replies.

I wanted to add I'm not looking to do the suspension to make myself faster on the track but simply because I like the way a car drives with aftermarket suspension parts.

I'm not against taking the car out on the stock stuff, but even driving around on the street I find myself wishing it was firmer.

I was just looking for feedback on what people are using. There are a ton of posts from people with different combos, but not many mention being on the track with them so I was hoping for some input.

Thanks for all the replies.

I wanted to add I'm not looking to do the suspension to make myself faster on the track but simply because I like the wad, but it caay a car drives with aftermarket suspension parts.

I'm not against taking the car out on the stock stuff, but even driving around on the street I find myself wishing it was firmer.

Then add sways, F&R. That is the cheapest, most productive change (excluding tires). Adding sways WILL NOT necessarily improve cornering G's, it seldom does. But it will improve your suspension feel.

Firmer translates into less body roll. Body roll is not bad, but it does\translate into trust.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Well, I autocross about 8 to 10 times a season, here is my list:

kumho ecsta xs (245/35/18) <-- best tire I have ever driven on that is also a daily for the summer, dunlop starspecs are aslo supposed to be excellent

tien flex coilovers

progress front and rear sways

gt-spec front and rear strut tower bars

front and rear sti brembo's (dba slotted rotors and hawk hps pads)

ss braided brake lines

I have zero power mods and I am on par in time with stock evo9's and most stock sti's. Of course 75% of autocrossing is depends upon the driver's skill, but I love my setup and it handles great.

i TRACK MY 05 GT 1 TIME A MONTH AND AUTO CROSS 2-4 TIMES A MONTH. the biggest thing that i did when i started was better brake pads and fluid, ss lines, and better tires. I cut almost 4-5 sec off my time with just thoes new items. then like other people have said slowly add and learn what the car is going to be like. Don't go all out, because your 1st day at the track will not be fun. you will be off the track more than on. At this time i have 17x8 rims on Dunlop star spec tires wich are awsome, hps pads, blue brake fluid, ss lines stage 1 16 lbs boost, avo air filter. im about 8 out of 32 cars and in the pack with highly mod miata's and evo's. our track here is .8 miles and is very tight.

I wanted to add I'm not looking to do the suspension to make myself faster on the track but simply because I like the way a car drives with aftermarket suspension parts.

well just understand that though parts may make the car feel better, they also may reduce grip on the limit in exchange for that improved feel. so though the car may feel better, it might drive slower when in competition.

since you want to know different setups, mine is as follows...

17x8 oz ultraleggeras with 245/40/17 kumho xs tires for the street

18x8.5 TRmotorsports rims with 245/35/18 kumho ecsta v710 r-comps for autox

tien flex coilovers with EDFC -cornerbalanced

hawk hp+ pads

racing brake front rotors

racing brake 316mm rear rotor with caliper extension

perrin 25mm F+R sways with perrin and AVO rear stout mounts

whiteline anti roll kit

AVO offset front LCA bushings

cusco F+R armbars

stage 2.5 with EL headders and perrin TMIC

As for the results, just check out my sig.

well just understand that though parts may make the car feel better, they also may reduce grip on the limit in exchange for that improved feel. so though the car may feel better, it might drive slower when in competition.

hawk hp+ pads

racing brake 316mm rear rotor with capiper extension

whiteline anti roll kit

cusco F+R armbars

Key word, cornerbalanced.

This is the advantage that coilovers have over just lowering springs. A fine tuned suspension and a good set of sticky tires will make a world of a difference.

hawk hp+ pads

racing brake 316mm rear rotor with caliper extension

whiteline anti roll kit

cusco F+R armbars

*Sorry for thread hijack* How do you like the Flex on the street? I assume streets of NJ can't be much more forgiving than PA roads.:spin:

When I first tracked my Leggy on stock brakes it was kind of scary . Upgraded to DBA rotors and Hawk HPS and more recently HP+ pads. I have Wilwood calipers waiting to be put on (mainly to improve brake feel)

Also have full stage 2+ tune , Koni's with swifts (fav mod) AVO castor bushings, Progress front and rear bars with soon to be acquires MSI endlinks.

+1 on tires, I use Kuhmo V 710 on dedicated track/autocross wheels as well. It is quickly becoming my fav autocross/track car and I used to love tracking an older M 5.

*Sorry for thread hijack* How do you like the Flex on the street? I assume streets of NJ can't be much more forgiving than PA roads.:spin:

The coilovers themselves are not to bad if i set them up for the street. I have my springs preloaded pretty good and when combined with the 25mm sways, its a pretty stiff ride. If you set them up with little or no preload and run thinner sways, they are alot more comfortable. my car is setup with autox in mind so i dont expect it to ride that comfortably, but i have another suby as my DD so its ok if its stiff.:lol:

Archived