LegacyGT.com

Rim0Wned - Potholes In Chicagoland FTL

gfxdave99

The good...

Spending the night with two good friends catching the 10:30 2nd Dave Chappelle concert, was an amazing show..

So traffic is backed up like a mofo going north so I decided since we made good time taking the back way there we could take the back way... well back..

The bad...

Driving down Mannheim RD (the NC people will know what im talking about) and I hit a pothole. Front wheel just makes a thump, back wheel.. BOOM... I'm like oh no that didnt sound good... so we pull into the gas station... At first it looked like the tire was just low because i thought i had a blowout but the tire was fully in-tact so we're like well lets try putting some air into it.. but as i roll foward and it continues to make this HORRIBLE noise I stop and my friends Tom and Archie take a closer look and... You have to be ******* kidding me I say as Tom says.. "Dave, the rim is straight up cracked" I'm like, what cracked on the edge where i hit the pothole?

No.. CRACKED.. The wheel cracked in half. The only thing that was keeping it together was the tire. So after the minute or so of complete shock that instead of bending or whatnot i now have a rim that is in two complete seperate pieces I think, well I could call roadside assistance but then they will just want to tow it to the subie dealer (which in IL all car dealers are closed on sundays).. no thats not a good idea, plus because its an aftermarket rim they would probably try to charge me..

So then I'm like crap, i never unbolted the subwoofer in the back so I dont know if we can get the spare out, but luckily the way the spare is situated it came out. THEN I'm trying to remember if there was ever a consenus on ******* up your diff if you have 18"s and use the OEM spare.. So i through caution to the wind and we put the spare on since it was only a few miles to Archie's house.

http://www.stimpco.com/carpix/rimohno2.jpg

Good thing i still have my oem's to switch back to for now.. (Archie will provide some nice high res shots of the fux0red rim tomorrow or today or soon, whatever)

However I have a couple questions.

1. Has anybody seen a rim straight up crack in half?

2. I have bent a rim on a pothole before but never seen a rim crack like this, I feel that this is a manufacturing defect, would you think I would have any traction with PIAA on this? (I'm taking it up with them regardless but wouldnt mind your thoughts)

And your condolences are welcome...

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Certainly not normal for a rim to crack... post more pics.

It better fall under the manufacturing defect category, rims are not walnuts, they should not crack. I would inspect the other three... could be a casting issue - maybe just one rim, or a whole batch :icon_conf Good luck and keep us posted.

:eek: is right.

That sounds like a defect, I don't think even a bad pothole would split the wheel in half without there being some kind of problem with the casting. Maybe a blown tire and some cracking or bending, but not a full-on catastrophic failure like that. Cripes. Good luck.

neil

http://www.stimpco.com/carpix/Piaa-FTL-01.jpg

http://www.stimpco.com/carpix/Piaa-FTL-07.jpg

http://www.stimpco.com/carpix/Piaa-FTL-10.jpg

http://www.stimpco.com/carpix/Piaa-FTL-12.jpg

http://www.stimpco.com/carpix/Piaa-FTL-11.jpg

Pictures kinda speak for themseleves...

but...

http://www.stimpco.com/carpix/omgwtfbbq-39352.jpg

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Damn! :eek:

You might have to start using an inner tube with that one......

:p thanks homie but hook a brother up with a smidge of free advice, do you think that there is any liability on the cities part?

:p thanks homie but hook a brother up with a smidge of free advice, do you think that there is any liability on the cities part?

Probably. The City has a program to re-imburse people for just such an incident. There should be a link to it on the City of Chicago page. You will need to document where it happened - a picture of the pothole would be very helpful to have.

I would also talk to the wheel manufacturer to see what they have to say about this.

You have very bad luck with wheels.

Whoa da' phuck ?

Wow Dave...what can I say...is the rest of the car ok ? Spring, Strut, wheel assembley, nothging else sheared, torn, broken ?

Certainly, take it up with the city and with PIAA

Now...what tires are you gonna run on your stockers ?

This has happened to my friend with 18" wheels and 225/30R18 tires

He went over a pothole and his rim cracked right away.

Conclusion: riding on weak heavy rims with low profile tires -> potholes are deadly

what brand of rims is that?

Whoa da' phuck ?

Wow Dave...what can I say...is the rest of the car ok ? Spring, Strut, wheel assembley, nothging else sheared, torn, broken ?

Certainly, take it up with the city and with PIAA

Now...what tires are you gonna run on your stockers ?

Well since the PIAA's are 18's and the stocks are 17's i'll have to run the RE92's for a while..

The car rode fine on the spare, and when we had the wheel off everything looked okay, by the looks of the rim it took the brunt of the impact.

This has happened to my friend with 18" wheels and 225/30R18 tires

He went over a pothole and his rim cracked right away.

Conclusion: riding on weak heavy rims with low profile tires -> potholes are deadly

what brand of rims is that?

PIAA FTL

By the way your Avatar is a lil passe since Intel now PWNS amd since the Core Duo's came out :)

PIAA FTL

By the way your Avatar is a lil passe since Intel now PWNS amd since the Core Duo's came out :)

nope, they lose in servers esp 4p smoked

and on desktop, their cpus are impossible to buy and overpriced -> ye they pawn with 10 extra FPS

Damn Dave!!!:eek: Not teh Piaazzz!!!:icon_mad: Definately see if the city/town/village will help you out. You should definately check with the manufacturer and see what they say, but I'd think that the road hazard is to blame more so than the rim itself. Go after the Dept. of Streets & Sanitation or whatever. Sorry about your rim, man.
:orly:YA RLY!!! Home of +2500 useless posts!!!!

Archived