LegacyGT.com

Safest Way To Clean Tinted Windows?

Three weeks ago I had my windows tinted and I noticed today the inside of my windows are dirty.

How do I safely clean the interior tinted windows? I normally use glass cleaner and newspapers. Can I do the same without scratching the window tint?

Any suggestion are appreciated.

woah woah woah.....windex...holy crap dont ever do that again, lol. i tinted windows for a year when i lived in fl. any window cleaning solution that says is safe for tint, ISNT! it might seem to work really good, but after a while its gonna start turning your tint purple. and windex is the absolute worst thing you can use on tinted windows. heres what we told all of our costomers to use to clean their windows: take an empty spray bottle, fill it with water, spray, and use a microfiber towel, thats it. and if you smoke and you get that film on the inside, use the same thing but put 2 or 3 drops of dish soap in the bottle and shake it the spray. everything else will eventually turn your tint purple. just though id give some advice comming from an expeirenced tinter.

woah woah woah.....windex...holy crap dont ever do that again, lol. i tinted windows for a year when i lived in fl. any window cleaning solution that says is safe for tint, ISNT! it might seem to work really good, but after a while its gonna start turning your tint purple. and windex is the absolute worst thing you can use on tinted windows. heres what we told all of our costomers to use to clean their windows: take an empty spray bottle, fill it with water, spray, and use a microfiber towel, thats it. and if you smoke and you get that film on the inside, use the same thing but put 2 or 3 drops of dish soap in the bottle and shake it the spray. everything else will eventually turn your tint purple. just though id give some advice comming from an expeirenced tinter.

This is the first time I've ever had tinted windows. Windex and news paper did a killer job removing even a heavy film of grime but figured it wouldn't be safe on tinted glass and that's why I asked the question on our great forum. :)

I'm thinking about tinting my windows. just out of curiosity how mush did you pay for your tinting?

I had it done as part of my purchase negotiations with my dealer when I purchased the car a month or so ago. I think the dealer charges $199.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m202/csussman1/2009%20Legacy%20Debadged/Debadged03.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m202/csussman1/Legacy%2030R%20LTD_Installs/TintFront2.jpg

This is the first time I've ever had tinted windows. Windex and news paper did a killer job removing even a heavy film of grime but figured it wouldn't be safe on tinted glass and that's why I asked the question on our great forum. :)

well its a good thing you asked, lol, otherwise you would have had purple windows in about 7 or 8 months. so like i said a little bit of dish soap and water and a microfiber towel, or newspaper works good too. i just dont like using it cause i have seen (on rare ocasion) it scratches the tint. microfiber towels are expensive, i think it would be worth it to go out and buy a 5 pack

microfiber towels are expensive, i think it would be worth it to go out and buy a 5 pack

BJ's Warehouse has a 30 pack of small size microfibre towels for only $17.99. I use two to dry my whole car and then toss them. Especially after using the towels at the end to wipe my wheels down.

Hi everyone, been lurking for a while. I got my 2005 LGT about a month ago. Basically...I'm a carburated guy living in a fuel injected world. My serious addiction is Toyota LandCruisers, but it was time to get another Subaru (our third in ten years). I'll do one of them intro thread next week some time. enough about me...here's my tried and true low-budget method to clean tinted windows:

What you need:

1. generic spray bottle or a used one that's been cleaned sufficiently

2. 1-2 drops of dish detergent

3. Optional: 2nd spray bottle with just water

4. old used white cotton t-shirts your wife/GF wants you to throw away. rip off the tag and maybe the collar. (no images or silkscreen or embroidery)

next steps:

1. fill spray bottle #1 with water and add a couple drops of detergent. mix well. This should last a long while.

2. get 2 or 3 old t-shirts out and ready

3. spray detergent solution on window (maybe spread the t-shirt on top interior of door to catch over spray)

4. gently clean up the window using circular motions turning t-shirt often

5. Optional: spray just water to get any detergent residue off. dry off with finishing t-shirt

6. use second (or third)dry t-shirt to buff and finish wiping down any residue or streaks left on the window. I do this fairly quickly to avoid it drying on the window (hence the water filled spray bottle)

7. enjoy.

Microfiber would as well if not better, for sure. But I'm a cheapskate and have plenty of old T's.

HTH

I have had tint on every car I owned since i was 16 an i am 24 now, always used cleaner that said safe for tinted windows and some newspaper. I never once noticed them turning different color. I had limo tint on my Jeep, I had something the guy called platinum tint on my Nissan, so i think ill stick with newspaper and regular safe for tinted glass cleaner on the legacy.

just my 2cents

Archived