LegacyGT.com

Now that you know your next car won't be a new Legacy, what will you buy instead?

This question is obviously directed towards those who:

1. do not like the 2010+ Legacy

2. do not plan on buying another subaru like an Impreza

3. are thinking of buying something from a different brand (i.e. not buying a used BL/BP)

4. are planning on getting a new car in the next 3-5 years and not driving their subaru until the day they die (or the car dies, whichever comes first)

5. let's assume the upcoming Legacy models don't conform to what you want by the time you are ready to buy a new car

things i'm considering:

Audi S4

Hyundai Genesis Sedan

Toyota/Scion iQ (as city daily driver, keep the legacy around and only use for long trips)

BMW 335i

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just did buy a brand new '09 LGT a few weeks ago because there is nothing else I want. I don't know what I'll do 5+ years down the road when I may be looking for a new car though. Hopefully the 2015 Legacy GT will look much better than the 2010 :D

I do not like the new Legacy and probably won't buy another Subaru. That said, in five years, I will replace my Legacy with something along the lines of a used BMW 335i coupe or a used e92 m3 OR I might keep my Legacy and use it as a daily driver and buy a weekender/track car along the lines of a Lotus Exige.

Genesis sedan is actually a really nice car. Good choice, Ed.

With some nice big wheels on it, it could be pretty luxe for not a lot of dough.

And less common than a douchey bimmer or benz.:cool:

(I know the 335 is a great car but too many goofs drive 'em up here.)

Realistically I'd likely stay with a Japanese brand and look at an Infiniti G or M sedan, a few years old.

Who is to say the legacy is 5 years won't be awesome? It could be the best car they ever made.

Other than that, I don't fit in this poll because I'm gonna drive my car till it drive no more.

I don't know yet, but once I recover from my house down payment, and have a little bit of extra money, I want a new car. I was waiting to see how the new Legacy was going to turn out, and that obviously didn't pan out well. I am considering selling the Legacy and getting a used S/RS4, or holding on to the Legacy as a daily and getting an Elise or newer s2000. I will definitely hold out for a bit, and make sure that I will still have a job 6 months to a year from now...

I'm keeping my 2006es for at least another year. We'll see what Subaru fixes for MY2011. If they haven't replaced the features they removed for MY2010, I'll probably move to Infiniti or Audi.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

great thread, i've been wondering the same myself about what others would want to move into

for me i think i would consider the lexus is250/350 primarily, though to be honest i might also consider a used '09 GT if i could find one by then, even though it does violate point #2

but that's assuming the lexus IS is still the same car it represents now 3-5 yrs from now, who knows. i'm sure there might be other cars that will crop up in the future as well that may peak my interest. volvo s60 is another that comes to mind as well.

scion iQ is an interesting choice though; i have thought about just getting a mini as a DD instead as well and getting something ridiculous for a weekend car.

at some point in my life i'd like to be able to afford a jag XKR, but i am dreaming haha

I've decided to stay away from new for a long-time. My 2006 Civic is 3 years old, has 63k miles, dings, scrapes, but is mechanically perfect and the interior is mint....and it's pretty much depreciated to the point where I wouldn't get anything on it with a trade-in.

So for me, I've decided to go used. But I wanted it all. On the luxury front: smooth, quiet (quieter than the LGT even), leather heated memory sport seats, space for a future family....etc.

On the sport front: 6-speed, gobs of power at all rpms (lots of power), very solid handling braking and steering, a great sounding engine, etc.

And I want a car with presence and a classic look that has aged well.

I wanted such a car that has already gone through most of it's depreciation.

Which is why I'm waiting for the right time to pick up an e39 2003 BMW 540i or M5. I'm not entirely sure which one yet. I'm driving my first M5 tomorrow.

I've looked into them for quite a long time. I'm not scared of the maintenance, though the M5 and 540 both have a couple of "oh shit" scenarios with their VANOS systems specifically.

But honestly: Our Legacy GT's are ~4 years old now and about once every 2 months I see someone who has to re-build an engine, or drop 2k on a sudden turbo failure out of warranty, or some such crap. It doesn't make the LGT a high-end ownership experience, and I think that after 75k on both the BMWs and the Subaru, the ownership costs aren't going to be too dissimilar. And I say that as someone who has looked into the future for the Subaru, and crunched the numbers on both BMWs.

So for me, the new Legacy was a possibility that would overcome my reluctance to go new....if it nailed it. It didn't, so I'm going German next :)

Joe

A Smart Fortwo

Yeah, right.

Now, seriously, I love the Volvo S40 series. The S40 T5R is to die for. Handles like no other car I've driven, and it really isn't even that expensive compared to the Spec. B (~$33k).

Who is to say the legacy is 5 years won't be awesome? It could be the best car they ever made.

Other than that, I don't fit in this poll because I'm gonna drive my car till it drive no more.

+1

I have thought about this alot actually. Browsing through cars have made me realize how lucky I was to pick out the legacy, because honestly looking at all the other cars out there, there are very few that I would have been happy with buying instead with my budget.

It's true, in 3-5 years, very easily Subaru could come back and design and best looking best functioning car, possibly even better than our current Legacies.

But if I were to pick a car RIGHT NOW, I would agree with the OP... I would go with the BMW 335xi, or the Audi S4. The Hyundai Genesis loses much of its appeal when its transferred to the sedan from the coupe, but the coupe just isn't practical enough.

Other cars I might consider... Evo XIII or Evo IX. Also not to ditch imports for american muscle, but the new Camaro, I have to say, has caught some of my attention. Even though I am a diehard import fan over American Muscle, it's a little closed minded of me to say that without even having owned one ever. So I'd give the Camaro a shot.

So in summary, for people who don't like reading long posts:

BMW 335xi

Audi S4

Evo XIII

Evo IX

Camaro

Archived