LegacyGT.com

Help with a purchase

So I have been looking around for a Subaru for some time. I recently found an 06 with around 100k but with a blown turbo. The owner says it squeals. Now they also said they replaced it before, some 4k miles ago with another used unit and here we are. So that is 2 turbos in 4k miles.

After coming here from NASIOC I found that this could be an issue. Since they both shit the bed so close to each other I am beginning to thing there might be some damage to the motor.

They want ~5k for the car as it sits. All the rest is pretty nice, manual, black, no timing belt though.

Should I just pull the motor to be sure if I was to buy it? Or just stay away. Suggestions???

Turbo screens/filters are probably clogged. Get an oil sample by loosening the drain plug and angle it out just enough for a good stream to fill 1/4 or 1/2 a cup. Check for metal flakes.

$5k doesn't seem that high, depending where you are. 5sp LGT in good condition range from $6500-$8k

I'd walk away. We see it over and over on this forum. Turbo fails and sends metal into the oiling system. Sometimes it kills the engine immediately but often the metal debris hides for a little while and then kills the engine.

From the numbers I've seen others quote on this forum you're looking at about $4k to do the work yourself or $6k+ to have it done at a shop.

One blown turbo is a red flag. Two blown turbos so close together is.... I don't know, but more than a red flag.

You can't take an oil sample but you want to pull the motor?! It would be hard to make sure there is no metal just by the dips tick. Bring a clean pan, drain the oil. They should not have a problem with that, it's only 1 bolt. I can do it without even jacking up the car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

As already mentioned the screens on the back of the passenger head and front of the driver head could be clogged. Most owners of any turbo model subie don't understand the importance of running a quality oil synthetic oil and keeping up on oil changes. This leads to the screens clogging, turbo failure, cam gear failures, etc. If you can't drive the car because of the turbo, then walk away or offer some lowball price because you could have to put a motor in it on top of a new turbo. A new short block I believe is around 2k from subaru. And if the oil is extremely contaminated with metal, probably plan on new intake cam gears as well. Or you try to find a low mileage long block and cross your fingers. These are awesome cars, but you gotta get it at the right price in this case man.

I would offer maybe $1.5k-1k that car is toast. Needs a shortblock, heads resurfaced, turbo, gasket kit, water pump, oil pump, oil cooler, oil pan, might as well replace all the rubber hoses, pcv valve, and clutch while the motors out, etc... and your at $5k-7k repair bill pretty fast.

Yep happen to me.. replaced turbo the replacement went out under 1,000 miles.. turns out it was the filter behind the passenger side head.. pulled it out when I pulled the engine and it was 100% clogged.

I would offer maybe $1.5k-1k that car is toast. Needs a shortblock, heads resurfaced, turbo, gasket kit, water pump, oil pump, oil cooler, oil pan, might as well replace all the rubber hoses, pcv valve, and clutch while the motors out, etc... and your at $5k-7k repair bill pretty fast.

^this

Unfortunately, somebody is going to buy this car and get hosed. Don't let it be you. Just be thankful the seller is honest; so many people buy these rolling corpses thinking they're buying a healthy car.

Archived