LegacyGT.com

What are LGT Limited Wagons with MT selling for these days?

I am considering putting my manual transmission 2005 Legacy GT Limited Wagon up for sale and was wondering what the market looks like these days.

Due to the limited supply and (outside of groups like this) very limited knowledge of these rare and special cars I don't have a whole lot of confidence in the usual value guides and wanted to put out a feeler to get some input from folks in the know...

Here are the details:

2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited Wagon with manual transmission

90,0xxx miles

Original owner - purchased new for my wife from Shortline Subaru in Colorado back in April 2005

Exterior: Silver

Interior: Black Leather

Unmodified engine

upgraded front brakes done this year and new WRX clutch done 2 years ago

2 sets of wheels/tires, original wheels have snows on, summer tires are on OEM wheels taken off of a 2009 Spec B

Original floor mats as well as Subaru all weather rubber mats all around

OEM crossbars for the roof

Jazzy Engineering aux-in/iPod kit installed

Overall very good condition with minor wear and tear commensurate with low mileage.

All maintenance up to date.

Located in Denver, Colorado

KBB gives a private party sale value of $13,481 for one in "very good" condition with an overall range from about $12k to $14k and a dealer trade in range of about $9k to $12k. Is this on the mark?

What do you guys think it's worth?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Will

unmodified engine is not really a good thing. There is a flaw in the factory engine Map that causes burnt valves.

Have you looked through the forsale forum here ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

One owner and under 100k miles...?

With two sets of wheels

And not modified!

I think a solid 10-12 for sure. Don't trade. Please don't trade. Dealers care nothing for any car really. It might take a while but I think you will be able to sell it on your own. There is someone looking for that car.

Post up on here.

And KBB. Dealers love that site because they beat it up and chew it out.

Basically would you pay 12-14k for that car today?

If so then you're in the ball park. If not you're too high. Another sales tactic for trading cars in 😒 ugh

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

unmodified engine is not really a good thing. There is a flaw in the factory engine Map that causes burnt valves.

Have you looked through the forsale forum here ?

I always thought it was a good thing, not aware of any burnt valve issues so thanks for the info.

I have looked through the for sale forums, seems like most have been modded, which is why I think mine stands out.

Thank you!

Funny thing is, when I look at the NADA site it actually shows a $400 hit to the value due to not having the automatic transmission, which is why I'm reaching out to you folks here for advice since the value guides are clearly clueless on cars like ours.

Trade in would be last resort because I know I'd be getting screwed. I think it's probably just a matter of finding the right audience for the car (i.e. folks that realize fast, manual wagons are cool) and being patient...

I am the original owner of a west coast 05 GT Wagon 5EAT with 92k, KBB says mine is worth $12.4 Fair-$14.2 Excellent as far as I'm concerned my car is excellent in and out and if I had to sell it I would hold out for close to top dollar. Yes mine has a few mods ( tint, 07 radio w/BT & Sub, RSB and stage1 tune) but what else can you buy for $12-14k.

Aside from a 6MT SpecB the wagon is the only way to go.

Black leather is definitely a plus, low mileage too. I would think you could get close 12k for it, especially in CO. You may want to have an oil analysis and compression check done if you're looking for a top dollar buyer. There's definitely more demand for the 5MT. 5EAT's seem to stay on the market for a long time.

I always thought it was a good thing, not aware of any burnt valve issues so thanks for the info.

I have looked through the for sale forums, seems like most have been modded, which is why I think mine stands out.

Thank you!

Your new here. Lots of these suffer burnt valves, it a Subaru thing.

Your new here. Lots of these suffer burnt valves, it a Subaru thing.

Not a total newbie... I've been lurking and reading for many years, just never much of a poster...

Is the burnt valve something you can check for, or remedy proactively? Or just something you deal with when it rears its head?

Thanks,

Will

That's an interesting comp, thanks for finding it. On the one hand mine's got way fewer miles, which is a plus. Also this one is not a Limited (leather isn't as nice) and I think I've got a better color.

The new engine could be a good or a bad thing, depending who you ask. I've always thought originality was a plus, because you can see it was driven by an adult who took care of it whereas this one may have been modded like crazy and beat on thus necessitating the new engine. I guess I'm a guy who, if I'm going to modify something, I'd rather do it myself and know what I've got rather than wonder what the last guy did and why.

Either way, maybe the plusses and minuses balance eachother out. If this guy can get $15k for his I don't think I'd be out of line asking the same price, in the same city.

Anyone else think that e-brake looks a little too erect? Probably could use a little adjustment there...

Its only worth what someone is willing to pay. I have had over 25 cars & trucks (I'm not a dealer, nor do I strictly buy for resale). If its for sale for more than 3 weeks, you are asking too much (some exceptions apply). If he is asking $15k and its still for sale, he hasn't sold it for $15. There's "what you think its worth" and then the actual selling price. People are usually going to try and beat you down on price even if its reasonable. Look at the cars that have been sitting for sale for a long time. Is yours in better condition with lower miles, etc? Price it at what you want to get and see what happens.

There were only 926 MT LGT wagons ever made for the US market. So that in itself makes it more valuable than the AT variant, contrary to KBB info.

If the timing belt job is done ( and done right, with new water pump and idler pulleys) prior to sale, I'd say $13K is a safe starting point, and expect to sell around $12K. Be sure to check your VIN against the recall and extended warranty (wheel bearings) list.

Interesting position - low mileage unicorn of sorts. People who view it as just another car (don't care about rarity) won't want to pay that much since technically there are comparable options around. People who might consider an Acura/BMW to get the same performance might not care for a 10 year old car.

Selling it is going to come down to the right person who is looking for a GT wagon 5sp limited. I often think about what might happen if I sold mine. As far as transportation goes, I'd say it's only worth 5-6k max. Granted mine has double the mileage and it's starting to show it's age. I wouldn't hesitate to list mine for a few thousand more though. If anyone wants to tell me it isn't worth it I'll say sure, but go find another one cheaper, let alone another for sale in a 500 mile radius. Most people will pass.

I wanted the exact combo and was willing to drive 4 hours and pay $12k for a 115000 mileage privately sold example two years ago. My other option was to drive a much further distance to find even another for sale, so I didn't bother haggling. Ultimately I want to build it the way I want it, and as an enthusiast I'm quite capable of fixing almost anything on the car. When I saw a much closer (still 2 hours) and much worse shape GT 5sp Ltd wagon for $8k and 40k more miles, I didn't hesitate to pick it up. It needed wheel bearings, clutch and I knew it would need some other repairs. I didn't mind getting the worse shape car because I'd be upgrading whichever car I got anyway. Both were stock, and I passed on several modded sedans.

Typically, I keep cars until they are destroyed in an accident. Long haul car relationships, even if they'll require a new engine or other major overhauls, don't bother me. Mechanically inclined enthusiasts don't need to start with a showroom car.

CN:

-People looking for transportation won't like the enthusiast market price for what it is.

-Not all enthusiasts care about a pristine example since they'll tinker anyway.

Let's say 5000 people are looking for a car. 5 will want your combo. Maybe 2 will appreciate it's the best example enough to pay a few thousand more.

Typically, I keep cars until they are destroyed in an accident. Long haul car relationships, even if they'll require a new engine or other major overhauls, don't bother me. Mechanically inclined enthusiasts don't need to start with a showroom car.

Word

Archived