LegacyGT.com

3rd gear synchro issue

gessvt

Just brought home a new (to me) '05 LGT 5MT wagon yesterday. During the test drive, I noticed clutch slippage in 5th, so dealer replaced the clutch assembly for me before I picked it up. Old clutch was in the car for my inspection, so dealer seems like a trustworthy guy.

Driving home, I noticed that 3rd gear would not engage without grinding. This happened during upshifts and downshifts, at any speed. I called the dealer and they said that their tech replaced the trans oil with Valvoline VV975 75W90 synthetic.

Any suggestions on what to do? Would a synchro issue show up after a new clutch install? As for oils, I've searched the forums and see a lot of references to Redline Lightweight Shockproof (trying not to be a n00b).

Thanks in advance! This forum helped me tremendously when I was deciding what to buy. Came down to a WRX wagon, S4 or a LGT.

Use better trans fluid.

I'm partial to a mix of 3qts Redline Lightweight Shockproof and a quart of Motul Gear300 75W90.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I just put Extra-S in mine and it seems to really like it! A little stiff the first couple min when it's cold. (it was -20 below the other morning) but other than that it's great.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

You mean the rear diff, when you drain the tranny, your draining the front diff.

You can use whatever 75-90 meets the spec's in the owners manual. Extra-S seems to be the recommended oil.

Oh yea, IMO this will not fix the 3rd gear sycno.

My 4th gear sycno is going again, I have extra-S in the tranny.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Save your money, use the extra S. It's freaking magic. I had a 4th gear synchro issue that I was sure needed a teardown. After trying 150.00 dollars of different gear oils the Extra S stopped it....completely. I'm still amazed three months later.

• 2 weeks later...
You can't get 4 qts in anyway on a drain-and-fill. Usually only ~3qts goes in.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Try the Shockproof and Motul combo.

• 6 months later...
Drained out the Extra-S and poured in Shockproof over the weekend. Crazy question but does it take some time to coat the gears? Still have same issue: grind going into 3rd after warm up.

Nope, should be good to go right away. Sounds like you need to drop the trans, open it up, and start replacing synchros.

Nope, should be good to go right away. Sounds like you need to drop the trans, open it up, and start replacing synchros.

Thanks for the follow up. I searched your posts and saw you estimate $1000+ to have a professional transmission shop do the work. In your opinion, how long can I nurse this thing by double clutching (which has become second nature and snicks into 3rd gear every time)?

$1000 in parts to replace all synchros and bearings, and ~$600 in labor if you pull the trans yourself (~$1100 in labor if you just drop the car off at the shop).

If you double clutch properly, and it doesn't grind, then you'll be fine for a while. The biggest concern is FOD, because that can wipe out the entire transmission.

Foreign Object Damage.

• 11 months later...
A shop has a low mileage 2009 WRX 5MT coming in. Is this a swap possibility? Shop states that it also has a 4.11, but I'm seeing threads that say final drive is 3.9 for the '09 WRX.

It's been a year. You haven't had this fixed yet ?

Where do you live, I have a tranny guy that rebuilt my 5mt last summer. He has great pricing.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It's been a year. You haven't had this fixed yet ?

Where do you live, I have a tranny guy that rebuilt my 5mt last summer. He has great pricing.

The car had other issue$ this year, so I've been double clutching. Chicago area. I'm guessing it's not worth the effort to modify the WRX trans?

Archived