LegacyGT.com

How to Install Steering Wheel Radio Controls

Has anyone notice that if you are driving in your car for more than 30 mins that the buttons stop working until you turn the car off for a bit?

Nope. You have a bad connection somewhere. Based on what you're describing, it's real similar to what I experienced under the steering column with intermittent functionality. I would start there and make sure the wires are securely contacting the harness.

Funny thing is that is always works for at least the first 16 mins in the car and then nothing... I was thinking the Orange wire is not staying put... But your right I will start with the side that is easiest. Plus there is only one plug that could be loose and it is near the SW.
**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

• 6 months later...
Has anyone notice that if you are driving in your car for more than 30 mins that the buttons stop working until you turn the car off for a bit?

No, but I have noticed that the volume down button (maybe others but that's the one I use most) stops working sometimes.

I need to check the connections at the steering wheel. Just lazy. Would be real nice to be able to graft on some actual pins so they fit nice and tight into the connector.

Nope, can't help you there lilbrudder.

Cheers!

• 11 months later...
^Well the wheel will fit on the stem, but not sure about the wiring.
**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

^Ill see if I can get there and pick it up if its on "hold". HA!

If you want help let me know. I can show you my car.

Going to possibly be doing this when I get my wheel. I love bonus time!

Edit: except I have an after market stereo....will need to figure out how that will hookup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SilverLegs

• 2 months later...
Going to possibly be doing this when I get my wheel. I love bonus time!

Edit: except I have an after market stereo....will need to figure out how that will hookup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you ever figure this out?

I have the JDM Double Din unit w/ a Pioneer AVH-X8500.

I have the SVC i85 and 14 pin Forward harness.

The oem plug with the purple w/ white stripe and orange w/white strip wires is no longer utilized with the aftermarket JDM pieces and headunit.

My options:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/09/ju9una3u.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/09/ysy9a2em.jpg

I have the JDM Double Din unit w/ a Pioneer AVH-X8500.

I have the SVC i85 [sVXdc i88] and 14 pin Forward harness.

The oem plug with the purple w/ white stripe and orange w/white strip wires is no longer utilized with the aftermarket JDM pieces and headunit.

^ those pictures are of the plug that connects to the HVAC at the bottom, I suppose I'd need to tap into the plug that connects to the headunit (14 pin forward harness). Any help is appreciated.

The harness from me (in your pictures) connects to your car's i88 harness. That one is strictly for the HVAC controls.

The one with violet/white and orange/white wires is i85. Picture of front:

1561687412_i85front.jpg.2459bd3353ad092def496d8cfa508feb.jpg

As discussed earlier, the V/W and O/W wires are the two for SWCs. However, in 2005-2007 models that did not have SWCs from the factory those wires dead-end at harness i1 (which plugs into bulkhead harness B36).

If you were using a factory HU (with SWC capability), you would want to add the missing segment of SWC wiring, from the clockspring to either the vacant slots on B36, or to the existing SWC wiring between i1 and i85.

But since you're installing an aftermarket HU, you can just connect the SWC wires from the clockspring directly to your steering wheel interface module (or an aftermarket HU that has the equivalent function built-in, as many no-name Chinese HUs do).

Optionally, if you wanted the ability to easily remove your aftermarket HU and SWC module, you could add the missing segment to make your car's i85 work, and then use this harness to connect to your i85:

1376268744_i85SWC.thumb.jpg.cce0546fedf8be32fabcbafab9fb6b13.jpg

That would also allow you to swap back in a factory HU (and have working SWC function) when you sell the car.

On 2007-2009 models, the factory i85 harness includes the wires for the 3.5mm aux jack (in the armrest center console).

See i85 pin-outs in this post.

Thank you much! I'll be ordering that i85 SWC Harness from you.

Any suggestions on a steering wheel interface module for my Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS?

OEM i85 > SVXdc i85 SWC Harness > SWC interface module > Pioneer Headunit

Edit: I'll just order the interface module from your site.

Edited by Benjamin M

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
I see it's been a while since anyone paid any attention to this post but I have read through most of it and I have a couple questions for anyone who might see this. On the 2008 models were the button shifters for the automatic GT/Spec B replaced with paddles? And if that's the case, were radio controls added in place of the buttons? Separate question: were the Spec B steering wheels different from the GTs? (Both auto trans). And back to the 08 question, I know there was talk of it here but I'm still confused. Is it possible to add a steering wheel setup with paddles and radio controls to an 06? I realize the paddles are part of the steering column but arent they just an added piece onto the top? Or is the whole column different? Edited by asc0205
Forgot a word

^ I have an 2006 auto GT; took out the "shift buttons" put in radio controls; GT and Spec B same S.W.; spec Bs in the US did not come auto.

Hope that helps.

On the 2008 models were the button shifters for the automatic GT/Spec B replaced with paddles? And if that's the case, were radio controls added in place of the buttons?

2008 and 2009 Legacy and Outback got the new style wheel (same as the one in 2008-up Impreza/WRX/STi and Forester). All had the cruise buttons on the right spoke. The left spoke had 6 audio buttons on Legacy GT Ltd, GT spec.B, 3.0R Ltd, and Outback XT Ltd, 3.0R LLB. On all other models, the left spoke had a blank panel.

No more shift up/down buttons on the spokes; paddles on Legacy GT & 3.0R models.

In 2008-up models with the blank panel, you could easily swap in the audio+cruise pods -- those cars were pre-wired, plug-and-play. However, in at least one case the OEM HU did not have SWC capability. The SWCs would work if you transplanted a different OEM HU, or switched to aftermarket.

were the Spec B steering wheels different from the GTs? (Both auto trans).
Off the top of my head, I don't know.

cars101.com is a great place to compare pictures of most different models (see the "archives" link).

And back to the 08 question, ... Is it possible to add a steering wheel setup with paddles and radio controls to an 06?
I know I've seen at least one thread where someone demonstrated retrofitting a 2008-9 wheel into a 2005-7, and made the new-style cruise buttons work. Definitely required some custom wiring -- was not plug-and-play. He may have done the audio buttons too (but I don't recall).

I don't remember any mention of retrofitting paddle shifters. It should be possible electrically (provided the car has an auto trans. w/ sport shift). But the older models' steering column structure and associated plastics might make it impractical.

• 2 months later...
Going to bump this thread for a question: I have an '06 GT Limited 5-speed, and I've swapped my steering wheel for a DAMD one. However, since the spokes are still from the stock wheel, it should in theory be possible to just add the radio controls, correct? However, it seems like I'd still have to order a complete Spec. B steering wheel just to get the radio controls?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...