LegacyGT.com

05-09 Legacy 2.5i

Bucata206

Hey all. I've been looking at 05-09 Legacys for a reliable car for the girlfriend. Heard the N/A Legacys are way more reliable than the 2.5GTs. I've had a couple WRXs and know the turbo motors are not reliable what so ever. The issue i'm finding is one with low milage. What would everyone consider "high milage" for one of these cars in an N/A and how long do they last in an N/A? I'd be most likely looking at a car with 110k+ on it for a reasonable price. Obviously would like one with less if I found one.

Also are there any major concerns I should look out for when shopping?

The N/A 2.5i has fewer issues than the LGT; however is still has it's fair share. Head gaskets, valve cover gasket and cam seals to name a few.

I picked up my '09 2.5i Special Edition for $8,000 in August in near mint condition (looks wise) with 105k on it. At 108K I replaced the head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, plug gaskets, thermostat and housing, A/C compressor, timing belt, idler pulleys, tensioner, cam seals, water pump, other two belts, plugs, and wires (Luckily it was under warranty so much of that was covered at no cost to me).

Baring some random, unforeseen issue, I should be good for another 100k. It's primarily a winter car so that should take some time.

That being said, know what I know now about these cars, I would have picked up a 3.0R Limited instead. Not only for the extra features and added HP, but the 6 cyl is supposedly the most reliable of the bunch.

The N/A 2.5i has fewer issues than the LGT; however is still has it's fair share. Head gaskets, valve cover gasket and cam seals to name a few.

I picked up my '09 2.5i Special Edition for $8,000 in August in near mint condition (looks wise) with 105k on it. At 108K I replaced the head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, plug gaskets, thermostat and housing, A/C compressor, timing belt, idler pulleys, tensioner, cam seals, water pump, other two belts, plugs, and wires (Luckily it was under warranty so much of that was covered at no cost to me).

Baring some random, unforeseen issue, I should be good for another 100k. It's primarily a winter car so that should take some time.

That being said, know what I know now about these cars, I would have picked up a 3.0R Limited instead. Not only for the extra features and added HP, but the 6 cyl is supposedly the most reliable of the bunch.

That'd be some expensive maintenance if it wasn't under warranty or you couldn't do it yourself!

Got my 08 2.5i Special edition with 110k on the clock for 9k with the HG/TB already done. It was the best purchase ive made car-wise, by far. Such a fun little car and quite comfortable too. (Previous daily was a 1996 civic and current fun car is a fully built 2001 forester STI (swapped, built, ect) .

Got my 08 2.5i Special edition with 110k on the clock for 9k with the HG/TB already done. It was the best purchase ive made car-wise, by far. Such a fun little car and quite comfortable too. (Previous daily was a 1996 civic and current fun car is a fully built 2001 forester STI (swapped, built, ect) .

My sister used to have a 05 LGT but had to trade it in for something bigger (family). I have an 03 WRX but i've always loved the Legacys. Just looking for something reliable.

Archived