LegacyGT.com

Intake box removal?

Dark Pony

I've been researching and get a lot of different answers so I figured I'd come straight here and ask. I was looking to do just some basic engine mods to my legacy gt, nothing extreme but again just the basics. I was looking at the COBB short ram intake, but then I read you can go to autozone and get a filter and do it that way....then I read you can just take off your airbox and do it that way too lol

I'll be honest...I LOVE the way these cars sound with an intake tha'ts not stock...my buddy had the COBB one and oh man I fell in love.

So based on this...what are my options and what are the best options for this situation?

You are not supposed to just throw an intake on these cars - a tune is highly recommended. Your air/fuel ratio is maintained by reading your Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF). This sensor is scaled ONLY for your stock intake box. If you get an aftermarket intake, you need to re-scale the MAF so you get an accurate reading of the amount of air coming into your engine for combustion. If you do not re-scale it you run the risk of having too much air and too little fuel (running lean) and having your engine grenade.

The stock airbox is good to about 300 HP so a lot of people only go to an intake if they are getting a FMIC. If you want a louder noise, most people just take out the silencer.

You are not supposed to just throw an intake on these cars - a tune is highly recommended. Your air/fuel ratio is maintained by reading your Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF). This sensor is scaled ONLY for your stock intake box. If you get an aftermarket intake, you need to re-scale the MAF so you get an accurate reading of the amount of air coming into your engine for combustion. If you do not re-scale it you run the risk of having too much air and too little fuel (running lean) and having your engine grenade.

The stock airbox is good to about 300 HP so a lot of people only go to an intake if they are getting a FMIC. If you want a louder noise, most people just take out the silencer.

yeah, this 👆

Thank you very much. That was extremely helpful. If this was an Acura I would be fine but like I said I am just new to this. I was looking for sound but also possibly a little hp gain BUT for now I think I'll just take the silencer out and see how that sounds, then work on an exhaust system.

Now with that, I've heard pros and cons to the silencer ....sound aside...are there any issues that may come with that?

Don't remove your silencer, or be prepared to possibly have to put it back in. Some people have had adverse effects from it (air trims off).

This.

I considered it for a while, but there is a fairly long discussion on it somewhere here and the overall conclusion is that it is more than just a silencer. Most people that remove it notice negative effects and reinstall.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

Archived