LegacyGT.com

Spark Plug Install Instructions

just did it , people in the first few posts had me all worried about how long/involved this would be to change plugs.....took me 1.5 hours didn't take battery out only removed CAI was really pretty easy. of course I leach off of everyone elses info so thats probably why.

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just for the record, plug changing became WAY easier sometime between

MY97 and MY06. The '97 was an UNBELIEVABLE pain, took me two days

(not full days), every extension I own and then some, and language that

would make Al Swearengen blush.

Haven't done the '06 yet, but it's obvious it's gonna be way easier. And it

seems clear that doing it from above (that's what SHE said) is the way to

go. (From below was the way on the '97).

Excellent Walk-Through, brother BoxerGT2.5 - thanks a bunch! :)

I'm embarrassed to say that it took me about 2 and 1/2 hours to do just the driver's bank (my chosen "first set")..... :redface:

I kept making small mistakes "spacially." It sure is tight down there! :lol:

The passenger's side took me only a half-hour. Much more respectable. :D

Thanks again for a great Walk-Through.

i think its cool when we work on are own cars i don't think its a big deal how long it takes as long as its right... nice right up good help for others and a way to spend the day and save some money which most of us need now days thanks...

I have 68K on my stockers, and car runs fine. Will probably hold off for what they charge for the 60K!

Good luck. Watch for CEL's. Mine were overdue at 44K. I had one plug with parts missing! Of course I do run an aggressive tune and have even run some torco at times. Either way, i would say plugs are a good idea at 68 K if it has not been done. my 2 cents.

anyone have any input on switching to a colder plug but w minimum mods (intake/cat back)??? Any benefit whatsoever?

I plan to get the accessport tuner (or boobs for the wife) when obamaz stimulus package goes into effect

until then i was looking for a quick pick-me-up; hoping plugs might be worth it

Edited by Chris Godawski
unfinished thought

Likely nothing - plus an increased chance of fouling your plugs, if you're not on her at every other light or on-ramp. :)

I'd stick with factory heat-range.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 3 weeks later...
I need to do this. Just wondering how much of a PITA this is? If this is anything along the lines of what it took me to install my UP, I'll go to a shop and have it done.

Depends on your level of technical ability, access to tools, etc.

I did my DP (had a 2nd OEM DP already gutted), and after getting that far, decided to skip doing the UP - it took me like 6-7 hours to do the DP. Yes, this was my first time working on a Subaru, all the steps were new, etc. And, I'm not super mechanically inclined. But, it would have taken me another 2-3 hours just to get the UP loose, IF I had managed it - I needed the car on Monday to go to work :-) Plus, having never worked on a turbo engine before, all the exhaust routing was new to me, etc. Didn't want to mess up a gasket by hurrying, and then having leaks all over the place.

All that to give you some context: I did my plugs in 3-4 hours (first time doing plugs), and most of that was struggling to get the caps back on the plugs after they were installed - that's a bit of a tight fit. DO buy at least a wobble or U-joint ratchet extension. Don't think you'll manage without one. I ended up doing the following: loosening with ratchet + regular extension + socket. Unfortunately, the fit it so tight, the ratchet wouldn't fit for more than 1/4" of threading. So then, I used the wobble extension + fingers or vice grip pliers to get the plug out the rest of the way and the new one in part of the way until the ratchet + regular extension fit to tighten up.

If you've done UP/DP, I would say it's only half as much work, or less.

Depends on your level of technical ability, access to tools, etc.

I did my DP (had a 2nd OEM DP already gutted), and after getting that far, decided to skip doing the UP - it took me like 6-7 hours to do the DP. Yes, this was my first time working on a Subaru, all the steps were new, etc. And, I'm not super mechanically inclined. But, it would have taken me another 2-3 hours just to get the UP loose, IF I had managed it - I needed the car on Monday to go to work :-) Plus, having never worked on a turbo engine before, all the exhaust routing was new to me, etc. Didn't want to mess up a gasket by hurrying, and then having leaks all over the place.

All that to give you some context: I did my plugs in 3-4 hours (first time doing plugs), and most of that was struggling to get the caps back on the plugs after they were installed - that's a bit of a tight fit. DO buy at least a wobble or U-joint ratchet extension. Don't think you'll manage without one. I ended up doing the following: loosening with ratchet + regular extension + socket. Unfortunately, the fit it so tight, the ratchet wouldn't fit for more than 1/4" of threading. So then, I used the wobble extension + fingers or vice grip pliers to get the plug out the rest of the way and the new one in part of the way until the ratchet + regular extension fit to tighten up.

If you've done UP/DP, I would say it's only half as much work, or less.

I'm good to go then. I will say it took me two days (4-5 hours each day) to install my UP, and remove and gut my stock DP and get it all back together. Of that, the DP only took me 1-2 of those hours, the remaining time was spent installing the UP. With that said, I've got access to all the right tools, spark plugs should be no problem for me from what I'm hearing.

Just did my plugs took under 2 hours thanks to this thread,by the way I picked up the stock(iridium) plugs at advance auto parts for $9.99 a piece.The salesman said they just started to sell them. Edited by A.M.D.

Well this will be my first time doing a spark plug change on my 2.5i. I've been to SparkPlugs.com, so I guess my question is would it be better/OK to use Iridium plugs or should I just stick to the Double Platinum on my N/A engine? Also, anyone got a brand they recommend? The choices I get for my search are Autolite, Bosch, Champion, and Denso. Thanks for the info :) Edited by DocHolladay23

....on my 2.5i..... would it be better/OK to use Iridium plugs or should I just stick to the Double Platinum on my N/A engine?

I replaced mine on my 2.5i with the standard OEM platinum plug at 50K, and the original ones looked great. I had no troubles, and continue to have no troubles, and so that is what I would recommend.

I replaced mine on my 2.5i with the standard OEM platinum plug at 50K, and the original ones looked great.

I see no reason to use other than the rec'ed OEM plug (in a non-moded

NA engine like mine), which are the "double platinum" FR5AP-11 for my

car. I thought these were considered "extra long-life" but the replacement

interval is 30K miles, which doesn't quite seem to jibe, but I'm gonna

observe it since still under warranty.

I ended up getting the Autolite double platinum from Autozone, funny thing that was unexpected, sparkplugs.com quoted them at $5.91 each and they were only $3.99 each at Autozone for the same part #. I knew the part # before I went in, so as a test I had them pull it up in their system and they got it right, so I guess thats a point for Autozone.

Just did my plugs @61K, post #162 was a life saver for me. I didn't have a knuckle for my ratchet, and it still only took about an hour. Darn these giant USDM hands of mine. Now I just gotta switch out the tranny fluid and I'm all done w/ my 60k service.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1999 LGT with 61200 miles, I am going to change the plugs and wires is there any onther required maininance I should do at this time?

The car runs great but it has a vibration/miss at about 3000 rpms. I hope the plugs take care of it. The plugs and wires are stock oem stuff and have seen better days.

any recomendations?

Matt

iresqu101@hotmail.com