LegacyGT.com

Down to my final 3 tire choices

HOKIE_05_LGT

Ok so I am going to get a new set of tires soon. I needed something that is not too expensive since I am in between jobs right now. I just want OEM size and all season tires. I think I am going to go with tirerack since they seem like they are the most reliable and have installers. So here they are:

Continental ContiExtremeContact $95/ea

Fuzion HRI @ $74/ea

Kuhmo Ecsta ASX $85/ea

What does everyone think of these tires? I was also really considering the General Altimax HP but they are back ordered and I need the tires quickly because I'm tired of driving my moms car around.

Thanks!

Did you see the test results on the Cum hoe, I mean Kumho? Tire Rack said they'd improve the wet traction. In my opinion, wet traction should be the most important part. Look here:

Tire Rack's Test Summary

What We Liked: Crisp steering response

(On a Scale of 1 to 10)

What We'd Improve: A modest increase in dry traction along with a large improvement in wet grip

Ride Comfort

Conclusion: : A sporty tire for drivers who do not focus on wet traction

Noise Comfort

Latest Test Rank: 3rd (tie) (September 2008)

Dry Track

Previous Test Rank: 2nd (September 2007, 2nd June 2004)

Wet Track

Overall

Read Complete Test Results

I'm not sure a consumer survey is worth the 0's and 1's it's written with on the internet. The best info comes from the tirerack tests where tires are compared side-by-side. If the Conti's are rated the best of the three tires, it comes down to whether they are worth the extra cost to OP over the other tires.

If one tire is much better over another in a certain area, how much driving does the OP do in those conditions? Is safety the biggest factor? Very individual decision.

The conti's had a bigger price gap over the ASXs when I bought them, hence the ASX decision. For only a $40 difference, I might've gotten the Conti tires.

Do you encounter any appreciable snow in your driving more than 4-5 days/year. If so Conti's hands down. Otherwise the ASX are great tires.

The conti's real advantage is winter traction but if you don't need it often I would try another given price and noise factor.

• 1 month later...
I was on a budget as well and went with the General Exclaim UHP. Much better than the ASX. Drives straight, reasonably quiet comfortable ride, and pretty sticky. Side wall is a little soft but as the tire has worn in a bit it keeps getting better. Just did an SCCA auto X and did pretty well with even these tires. Beat a '09 STI. Have not tried them in an snow but I'm not expecting much out of them. I have winter tires on my stock rims. Generals are good and cheap but if you really are going to drive in the snow at all I would go with the conti's.

i had fuzions on my last car, i atually went though 2 sets of em cause they were actually pretty good over all. ( Acura Intergra 1991) Cheap and lasted pretty long, but dont really know how they do on AWD cars.

Falken ZE912's.

Had them on my Rota Torques 18x8 (with my drop on H-techs) from 55k miles to yesterdays 90.1k miles.

Today im buying another set of Falken ZE912's to put on my 18x8 Alt Rush rims.

Loved the tires.

Did you see the test results on the Cum hoe, I mean Kumho? Tire Rack said they'd improve the wet traction. In my opinion, wet traction should be the most important part. Look here:

Tire Rack's Test Summary

What We Liked: Crisp steering response

(On a Scale of 1 to 10)

What We'd Improve: A modest increase in dry traction along with a large improvement in wet grip

Ride Comfort

Conclusion: : A sporty tire for drivers who do not focus on wet traction

Noise Comfort

Latest Test Rank: 3rd (tie) (September 2008)

Dry Track

Previous Test Rank: 2nd (September 2007, 2nd June 2004)

Wet Track

Overall

Read Complete Test Results

Tire racks test blow big time. I purchased a set of Avid w4s's on their recomendation of superior performance and comfort. They placed 1st in the comparo.

BULLSHIT! The ASX's I took off were much superior in every aspect except tread wear. You have to remember they are not putting 20,000 miles or so on these tests.

Do not get the ASX. They are good at nothing. They tramline awful, they don't hold a line in turns, they wear out quick, and they are not sticky. Also, you don't want to drive these things in any snow.

Conti's wear quick too but are the choice for snow traction. I just ordered a set for the wifes Saab.

Tirerack's UHP tire survey rankings:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS

Of the 3 you listed, the ContiExtremeContacts are the highest rated.

Ratings are very subjective though. The Yokohama S.Drive is rated fairly well on TireRack, but it's one of my least favorite tires. Not to mwntion the hard performance numbers for it are only average, despite the high ratings.

I like my Kumho ASX, but think due to the reviews here that the cont's might be a better choice and worth the money in all conditions.

PS- don't listen to n00bs in this thread or anyone from California (or from anywhere in the US that is a hot zone... they have no idea about all seasons).

Archived