LegacyGT.com

Shifter Surround or Bezel Gap: READ THIS

Any one have this covered under warranty??

I know Highlander did as we replaced his under warranty.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you within the 3yr/36k range? If so, you don't need to ask. Just take it in and have them replace it. There is no arguing on b2b warranty. :)

Yep, taking it in tomorrow morning to a different dealership. I'm at 23 Months/11k right now :p

• 2 weeks later...

blah...after I took the car in they said the shifter bezel is part of the shift boot and would be replaced when they take care of the shiftboot under warranty. When I got the car back it looked perfect...then I took it home and noticed that the right hand side of the shifter bezel was up higher than the left side (like it hadn't snapped down into place properly. So I pushed it down into place and BAM the gap is back. Great.

Eric

The panel they should of replaced is not attached to the shift boot. It is the side piece.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Exactly. Did you ask for the exact part number listed in here? What you had replaced had nothing to do with what the problem is. Did they just insist it was the shifter surround?
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

The panel they should of replaced is not attached to the shift boot. It is the side piece.

I know...I asked for the other piece and they believed it was a problem with the shifter bezel. I need to take it back and show them its not any better.

Eric

sonofabitch...60k on the clock and this never happened until two days ago. I'm washing the sled and I suddenly detect the aforementioned bezel gap and I'm like WTF, how did that happen? So I'm pushing and squeezing and the damn gap won't close . And now I see this 2 year old sticky just today. WTF is wrong with me? :lol:

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

Arizona. That's what's wrong with you. :lol:

What the hell was I thinking?

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

I know...I asked for the other piece and they believed it was a problem with the shifter bezel. I need to take it back and show them its not any better.

Eric

Show them the first post. I work at Pence Subaru in Richmond and we replace it just like the post states and it fixes it.

i thought this was a my car issue until yesterday... now i see this thread and find out its not... i bought my car used in april and thought it was created by the original owner messing with it.. glad to know there is a fix...im going to the dealership tomorrow :spin:

Show them the first post. I work at Pence Subaru in Richmond and we replace it just like the post states and it fixes it.

Went in this morning with a print out of the first post. They asked if they could keep that, and said they would call me when the part is in :)

Now if only they hadn't replaced my shift boot and e-brake boot with such fake feeling leather..

Eric

Don Docksteader Subaru agreed to order in the part when I showed them the print out and photos from this thread. But they said the part number was different for the 08. I confirmed this online as well, when searching the part number it only shows up for 07 or earlier model years, not 08 or 09.

That makes sense that it changed over time but at least they're listening and working with you. :D

Thankfully yes. Initially the Service Advisor was not really expecting them to be able to do anything about it, but they said they would try to do it with this identified part, and it is under warranty, so no harm no foul. If it doesn't work then they don't want to be bugged about it again.

I find it really interesting that they hadn't fixed this problem since 05. I rode in a new Impreza yesterday (service loaner) and the dash is so much tighter and well put together, but looks like crap compared to my Legacy. :lol:

If it doesn't work then they don't want to be bugged about it again.

Hold on one f'n second... [rant] You are within your B-to-B warranty period. The car is clearly not assembled correctly and there is a defect. They will continue to FIX it until YOU are satisfied. That is what a warranty means: fix things when they are broke. Not, "Oh we'll try to fix it and if it doesn't work oh well." NO. Keep trying till it is fixed. It's called B-to-B for a reason. [/rant]

Sorry, I just hate when dealers try to tell customers crap like that. :redface:

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

^^^ Yeah, that was their tone initially, that they couldn't do anything about it and that panel gaps just happen and should be accepted. If this part doesn't fix it and they say their hands are tied, then at that point there is no sense beating my head against the dealership wall. I guess I would talk to the service manager. After that I would just visit another dealership or contact Subaru Canada. I don't want to get into a pissing match with a Service Advisor over what should and should not be acceptable for fit and finish on an internal panel. They would just lose my future service business. Simple enough!

• 2 weeks later...
Don Docksteader Subaru agreed to order in the part when I showed them the print out and photos from this thread. But they said the part number was different for the 08. I confirmed this online as well, when searching the part number it only shows up for 07 or earlier model years, not 08 or 09.

so what is the new part number?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well I picked up my 09 Legacy Special Edition over the weekend (I know it's not a GT but I am very impressed overall) and I believe I have the same problem. It isn't as bad as the first picture in the original post but I can see the little clip in the gap and it is wider on the right side. I am going to have to bring it in next week to get the windows tinted so I will have them look at it then. My silver trim piece on the left of the console will actually need to be fixed/pushed back into place though as it looks like it was not installed properly at the factory. There is a gap on the left side of the piece compared to the right side (none at all and totally flush with the center console) as it goes down the center console. It looks like the piece is raise up by the steering wheel. Does anyone know if the part number has changed? Can I just print out this thread with the part number in it? So far I love the car but man this should of been fixed by now on the 09 model as I am reading threads from 06 with this issue!