LegacyGT.com

help form those who know there component speakers

dpgriffin

im installing a system in my car. replacing my stock system. trying to decide between these two. DLS Ultimate series UP6 6.5 components vs jl audio c5 650 6.5 2ways. never heard of the dls, but the reviews online for them are suposely the best for the money and all around sound. im going to be pushing them with a jl audio xd500/3 channel amp. two speakers in rear are going to be the 6.5 jl 6w3v3. heard them in a friends car and it sounds awesome. just need help chosing between the two.. any help from anyone who expreianced with these?

I'm unfamiliar with the DLS speakers as well. My advice would be to find an audio shop that has one or preferably both in stock and hear them side by side. I researched the crap out of speakers before I settled on the Focal's I got. Listened to all of them in Car Toy's sound rooms. No better way to compare in my opinion.

The DLS come highly regarded, but I have to say that I have not heard anything bad about the JLs. If you can stomach the JL markup (from authorized retailers), they do make good gear. I made mounting adapters for several sets of the JLs and all of the users were happy with the JLs.

Just go active and never look back. Amps are cheap and the money you save by buying DIY home audio drivers will buy a lot of watts. Rear fill is pointless, counter-productive and a waste of money. Invest more into a proper front stage with enough headroom, mat over the holes in the back doors.

Install is everything. Cheap drivers properly installed into doors will always sound better than good drivers screwed into those cheap plastic spacers, no damping or barrier. Do it right or leave it alone.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Just go active and never look back. Amps are cheap and the money you save by buying DIY home audio drivers will buy a lot of watts. Rear fill is:lol: pointless, counter-productive and a waste of money. Invest more into a proper front stage with enough headroom, mat over the holes in the back doors.

Install is everything. Cheap drivers properly installed into doors will always sound better than good drivers screwed into those cheap plastic spacers, no damping or barrier. Do it right or leave it alone.

Agree with the premise of your post (though I have rear fill and have not yet gone active up front), but I do want to ask a clarifying question:

When you speak of "those cheap plastic spacers," were you referring to the custom PVC ones that I make? Or do you mean the "universal" fit injection-molded plastic ones that are sold by some vendors?

Don't know what you mean by going active?

Each individual speaker (2x midrange and 2x tweeter) gets its own amplifier channel. The crossover between speakers is handled at or before the amplifier as opposed to using the passive crossovers that come with component sets.

It requires running one additional set of speaker wires to each door and you must have a line-level (RCA or electronic) crossover either internal to the amplifier or in a standalone piece of equipment. Or in a really high-quality HU, I suppose.

If you have to ask too many questions about going active, you will probably need to pay someone to do it right for you.

When you speak of "those cheap plastic spacers," were you referring to the custom PVC ones that I make? Or do you mean the "universal" fit injection-molded plastic ones that are sold by some vendors?

I mean the flimsy OE adapters already on the doors. Nothing wrong with plastics, just the lack of mass / stiffness in the OE part.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I skipped through the thread, but if you have any Audio-Geared questions-feel free. Btw, these are mine & they are for sale:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVHi2Mo4OaQ&feature=player_embedded]019 - YouTube[/ame]

-I can tell you anything you want to know about these^ http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/component-speakers-175516.html

We also have a JL dealer in town. As far as DLS, I am almost positive there is only 1 Authorized dealer in the States-Florida. DLS is a out of Sweden.

I would recommend you going Passive before you try going "Active," even if it's only 2-Way.

Archived