LegacyGT.com

Plug n Play Aux-in mod for 2005 6cd radios

jazzymt

Notes from last weekends Aux-in and XM Commander install.

Jazzy's instructions are excellent

Installed Radio Shack’s ground loop isolator (cheap insurance)

Hardwired the Commander’s power to radio’s existing ground/ACC/PWR plug

Installed that XM Antenna on the inside passages dash near the temp sensor.

Mounted the XM box underneath the Radio/CD unit (lots of room)

Ran a 6 FT secondary 1/8 plug inside the center console for MP3/tape players.

Installed the display screen in the cubby hole.

Problem encountered:

• Trying to figure out how to disconnect the plugs from the radio unit
  • Pulled the radio’s antenna wire out of the attach plug (broke it twice and repaired it twice)
  • I think I over tightened the screws holding the CD change to the head unit causing the CD changer to only partly load a CD and then turn off.

Overall experience:

• Awesome sound, XM sounds better then it ever did.
  • XM Commander looks like it is a factory install
  • Very satisfied, thank Jazzy.

Randy

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

RR -

I had the same issue - 6/7 times.... Cd would spin, but not load....very odd and insanely frustrating!

We found that we were using the wrong four screws to mount the CD. There are four very flat head screws that go in there. Other ones fit, but I think that they are hitting the circuit board....whoops.

My screws had a little bits of black paint on some of the screws.

It took us 3-4 hours to figure this one out.

Best of luck.

Any pics of your final Commander install?

Notes from last weekends Aux-in and XM Commander install.

Jazzy's instructions are excellent

Installed Radio Shack’s ground loop isolator (cheap insurance)

Hardwired the Commander’s power to radio’s existing ground/ACC/PWR plug

Installed that XM Antenna on the inside passages dash near the temp sensor.

Mounted the XM box underneath the Radio/CD unit (lots of room)

Ran a 6 FT secondary 1/8 plug inside the center console for MP3/tape players.

Installed the display screen in the cubby hole.

Problem encountered:

• Trying to figure out how to disconnect the plugs from the radio unit
  • Pulled the radio’s antenna wire out of the attach plug (broke it twice and repaired it twice)
  • I think I over tightened the screws holding the CD change to the head unit causing the CD changer to only partly load a CD and then turn off.

Overall experience:

• Awesome sound, XM sounds better then it ever did.
  • XM Commander looks like it is a factory install
  • Very satisfied, thank Jazzy.

Randy

A higher res color option would be great.

In the mean time, I opened the PDF online and zoomed WAY in on the image when I had a question about which way the cable was supposed to be installed into the player. It definitely helped me understand and see it better. It might help someone else until then.

Jazzy,

I would really like to request a color install PDF instead of the black and white photos. It's really hard to tell from the photos what is what and I think everyone would benefit.

I am also confused a little bit on the need for a ground loop isolator. In all cases is it best to have one of these? If not, what circumstances?

Thanks in advance.

Ponch

Installed mine yesterday, works great! I am not going to bother having my zen micro player hooked up to power. I'll just charge it alot!!! heh ... I ended up with 1 left over screw though .. doh! Thanks again for a great product!

I finally found time to install my jazzy board. Everything went well, much easier than I expected. It took longer than I had planned but that was entirely selfinflicted. I found plenty of helpful advise in this thread which helped ease my anxiety.

I wanted to keep things as stealthy as possible so I decided to use panel mounted jacks. This certainly increased the difficulty factor (the last time I soldered anything was 10 years ago), but with helpful advice from the guy at Radio Shack I pushed forward. The position I used next to the lighter may not be ideal since the male plug must not be too thick. I liked this spot based on it's proximity to a power source and it already had a hole there. The second location is based on my current set-up.

I used the GLI from RS and ended up buying most of the remaining supplies from RS as well. I had planned on taking a picture of my "Frankencable" but got too caught up in the install to stop and take pics. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have purchased the GLI from Crutchfield with the mini plugs. This would have made the "Frankencable" less scary looking. Probably cheaper too.

Anyhow, I would like to thank Nathan for taking the bull by the horn and saving us from FM modulator hell. To those still on the fence, DO IT! I don't have a nice dry garage to work in, a vast tool selection or a great deal of electronic experience. For locals who are on the fence, I'm offering my help for those who may need a bit of a nudge to get this done.

Thanks again to Jazzy and his skillz.

Ross

Here are a few pics of the finished product.

jazzy2.JPG.6c9335c616e33848a71aa612da5f733d.JPG

jazzy5.JPG.0f9a4634e6935162509980ec22adb8a7.JPG

jazzy10.JPG.91353cb8edb35ca6673a17ba8280856f.JPG

jazzy13.thumb.JPG.497e2d46626b09ace09f68eeb532fa62.JPG

So.. the GLI - does one really need this for a handhleld music device that is not powered off of the car? My understanding is that the GLI takes out any hum or noise caused by the audio device being grounded at a different point in the car, but how does it affect mp3 players and the such?

Same principle. The ground from the battery in your mp3 player is different from the one from the battery in your car. Connect them up and you get that nice 60Hz(?) hum. Most people with hardwired stuff (XM, Sirius) hear alternator noise, not a ground loop. For me, this noise is also resolved by the GLI from Crutchfield.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

No problems at all with getting this delivered into (Calgary) Canada. I ordered mine shortly before Christmas, and it was delivered about a week later. Other than the original paypal charge which I originally paid to Jazzy, there were no other extra charges over and above.

Why UPS, sebberry? Mine was shipped via USPS.. no duty, customs, or any of that handling fees..

If I remember right, I bought a Radio Shack (aka The Source) GLI for $19.99, an R/L RCA-Micro cable for $9.99, and a pair of F-F RCA converters for about $4.99.. then add GST and all that on top.

Something else is coming UPS - I missed the door yesterday and have a notice saying they were going to deliver between 10:30 and 2:00 today and they haven't shown up yet. What a way to waste a day. :(

Canada Post is the carrier for USPS items in Canada, they left a delivery slip yesterday for me to go and pick it up today - I guess they just want a signature as they didn't leave it in the mailbox. I have been waiting for UPStupid so I can go get the thing at the Canada Post station. It was mailed on Jan 4.

I got mine yesterday at my parents' place. I ordered on the 7th, it didn't take too long, I guess. But I won't be able to get to install it until the end of the month when I go up there. :S

You will need to look at how this plugs into your overall system. I bought one of these. It comes with RCAs and one RCA to 1/8" single male, then I need another split for the sat radio and ipod, so needed two other adapters. I did not have them the first night, so had to go back to the store.

Cool, got mine today. Nice work! Will try to install sometime this week

Edit: Anyone have a radio shack part number for the ground loop isolator?

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=ground%20loop%20isolator

is this it?

Ok Thank You, Im kinda of a newb when it comes to this stuff but, I thought cars only had problems with this back in the CB days... Does this only affect certain things that are hooked up to the jazzy board? If it’s a problem that everyone is having then jazzy I would recommend selling a cable with the board defiantly
Dave

You will need to look at how this plugs into your overall system. I bought one of these. It comes with RCAs and one RCA to 1/8" single male, then I need another split for the sat radio and ipod, so needed two other adapters. I did not have them the first night, so had to go back to the store.

yeah, I want sat. and one for my MP3 player which uses the normal head phones jack like the jazzy. What do Most external sat. use? RCA?

Dave

yeah, I want sat. and one for my MP3 player which uses the normal head phones jack like the jazzy. What do Most external sat. use? RCA?

I haven't bought one yet, but the website for the XM Commander also says 3.5 mm mini audio.

The cleanest install I've been able to think up is this:

Jazzy -> male-to-female 3.5mm extender cord -> 3.5 mm male-to-XM cord

or

Jazzy -> male-to-female 3.5mm extender cord -> 3.5 mm male-to-iPod cord

If I mount the extender cord jack inside my armrest and route the XM cord to there as well, I can plug in XM (looking totally stock) or put the iPod in my cupholder iPod stand and plug it in using the little armrest cable cutout.

Has anyone come up with a nice way of securing the cable to the Jazzy? I don't expect it to pull out, since the other end will be mounted in a panel, but I'd like to be more cautious.

now if only I could find a external display that was red

How about the roadyxt or the skyfi?

Has anyone come up with a nice way of securing the cable to the Jazzy? I don't expect it to pull out, since the other end will be mounted in a panel, but I'd like to be more cautious.

I followed Jazzy's method of zip-tieing it to the radios power cord. I cinched it down tight and don't expect it to allow the jack to disconnecct. I used a 3' male 1/8" to RCA and they RCA's ended up just in front of the shifter. 3' seems like the perfect length to gain access if you want to change your cables down the line. This was pure dumb luck on my part.

"If I mount the extender cord jack inside my armrest and route the XM cord to there as well, I can plug in XM (looking totally stock) or put the iPod in my cupholder iPod stand and plug it in using the little armrest cable cutout."

I had planned on installing the jack in the center armrest as well but found the plastic was likely to be too thick for the jack I had from RS. Granted this was just my best guess but I didn't want to drill holes to find out later it wasn't going to work. I don't have the tools to thin out the plastic if it needed it. The other issue I ran into was space. Make sure you consider location before soldering the jack. Both of mine have the cable parallel to the jack. Orienting the cable 90 degrees may allow for different set ups.

I haven't bought one yet, but the website for the XM Commander also says 3.5 mm mini audio.

The cleanest install I've been able to think up is this:

Jazzy -> male-to-female 3.5mm extender cord -> 3.5 mm male-to-XM cord

or

Jazzy -> male-to-female 3.5mm extender cord -> 3.5 mm male-to-iPod cord

If I mount the extender cord jack inside my armrest and route the XM cord to there as well, I can plug in XM (looking totally stock) or put the iPod in my cupholder iPod stand and plug it in using the little armrest cable cutout.

How about the roadyxt or the skyfi?

Thank you very much, but I have sirius in my 4Runner direct connected to a pioneer head unit and want to stick with Sirius + Howard

Dave

now if only I could find a external display that was red

sat or mp3? My Carbon Rio 5 gig mp3 player has a red display that matches our dash lights perfectly.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi