LegacyGT.com

Throw Out Bearing... DON'T WAIT.

beastman

So I posted about a month ago about the squealing that seems to happen to many LGT owners. I got a few different opinions. IT IS THE THROW OUT BEARING and it's a time bomb waiting to explode. DO NOT WAIT TO GET IT FIXED. Here's what mine looked like just about 1 month from the initial squeal/hum/whirring sound:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8337/8182547684_46a6761529_c.jpg

My car only had 69,000 miles on it. Since it was so trashed, I ended up ruining my clutch. I also needed the sleeve kit to repair the damaged snout. I converted to OEM SMFW and it's smooth, light, and quiet. Feels better than the dual mass FW that was in there when I bought the car.

I'm so #$&%)ing sick of these TOB issues. I have a 1000 miles on my new ACT clutch and it is making noise.

Mine makes a bit of noise on cold startup but goes away within 5-10 minutes, and I have the TSK3 too. Go figure.

I was thinking what could be the issue......I think the bearing is not perfectly centered on the PP fingers. I am thinking of putting a return spring on the clutch fork to pull the bearing away when the clutch is disengaged to see what happens. #&$&^@* !

I'm so #$&%)ing sick of these TOB issues. I have a 1000 miles on my new ACT clutch and it is making noise.

Did you replace the trans quill when you replaced the TOB?

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Mine makes a bit of noise on cold startup but goes away within 5-10 minutes, and I have the TSK3 too. Go figure.

Your TOB is shot:mad:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Your TOB is shot:mad:

I don't think so...It started doing that a few months after I had the clutch put in. Oh, and by cold startup, I mean it has to be cold out, like freezing temperature cold and the car had to sit overnight.

same here, when its cold out and car sits overnight I start it in the morning and there it is that f**** annoying ass noise, I'm starting to think it's the bearings in the tailshaft, just because it sounds like it's coming from right under the shifter

I've been experiencing the same issue for a month so, and was never sure what it was. Only happens on cold mornings and goes away after the engine/tranny is warm. I've also noticed a loss in tranny fluid, anyone else experience this?

I had warranty work on my tranny earlier this year, wish they would have caught this too since my warranty has since expired. Suck.

Are you guy's putting a small amount of grease on where the TOB slides before you put it together ?

I have always done that.

Same where the input shafts rides in the pilot bearing.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Are you guy's putting a small amount of grease on where the TOB slides before you put it together ?

I have always done that.

Same where the input shafts rides in the pilot bearing.

Pretty sure we put grease on it before installation, but I don't remember anymore.

is it a whirring noise? I thought the tsk3 was suppose to fix that
No, it's a very, very faint, light squeaking and it goes away very shortly later.

It's so dissapointing that this is a recurrent issue outside of the bearing itself and, likely as GTTuner mentioned, an issue with bearing placement during normal operation.

Mine started making noise when cold 65k miles ago. 30k miles ago, the noise would last up to 5 minutes and it would be especially horrible if I had just washed the car.

For the last 20k miles, if I take off from a stop on an uphill and rev to 1500rpms it makes a horrible screech noise.

Yet for all that, I drove her bout 100 miles yesterday and the stock clutch has never felt better and it's silent the other 99% of the time.

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to just go ahead and do it but I'm on the fence as to if i NEED to right now. It seems like the TOB makes the noise on cold start ups and goes away once warm. It also goes away when the clutch is pushed to the floor. Based on that would it be wise to just do it? The previous owner printed out all the vehicle history from the dealer and the clutch was done about 20k ago.

Justin case it's probably not your TOB then. i just did my clutch 500 miles ago and same thing ,the noise is still there just like before the clutch job. I"m actually thinking of replacing the 4 bearings in the tailshaft of the transmission and filling it with new oil. I think that when the car is cold and you start it, the trans oil is really thick and needs to heat up a little for it to become thinner, and spread all over the transmission. And since the bearings are in the back of the trans I think it might take a little longer for the fluid to get there, which means the bearings might be running little dry on cold startup, and in time after couple minutes they just become quiet... Thats just my theory, correct me anyone if I might be wrong, but in my head that's how it would happen...

You are most likely wrong IF the noise people are hearing is occuring when cold and the clutch is depressed, which is considered standard TOB noise. Such a position would not be loading those trans bearings or otherwise promote a sudden trans bearing noise.

So JOeFromPA explain to me why am I still having the noise after just doing my clutch 500 miles ago.... and I installed the tsk3 kit so it makes no sense it would be making the same noise again, my old TOB was worn to shit, but the noise is still there and it annoys the shit out of me lol i just want it to go away already...

I installed the ACT HDSS clutch kit and street lite smfw after hearing a squeal that sounded similar to a noisy belt. When I touched the old TOB to remove it, it disintegrated. All the balls feel out of the races; the beating was shot. I also have experienced a noise similar to the other stories about 3k miles after install. Not persistent, but scary nonetheless. I adjusted my clutch engagement point tonight, and that seemed to relieve this, however it's been fairly warm tonight so it's hard to tell. My engagement point was pretty close to the floor, and really abrupt. I read that that could cause preload and eventually premature failure, so I shortened the link by a few turns. It seemed to make a big difference. Now, my question is, how far in that direction can I go? IE, how do I quantify that adjustment point without actually slipping the clutch?

• 4 months later...

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but to the OP, why so adamant on not waiting.

Lets say worst case scenario - what happens? you end up with a bearing that looks like yours and a need to tow the car somewhere? If I plan on buying a tsk3 kit anyway somewhere down the line, what do I have to worry about?

Any permanent no repairable damage possible? Or is it just a matter of towing it somewhere, pulling the trans , installing a tsk3 kit and new TOB?

If I just have to deal with the noise until it goes then pay the money I will wait.

If it is going to do $1000's more in damage if the TOB does finally explode then I would probably pull the trans now and throw a TSK3 in .

Archived