LegacyGT.com

STS and Bushings Installation

To be honest and open i got a couple bits of advice and know how from Scans007 and peeped his walkthrough for this on another website but figured we could use one posted here readily available to all. Much props to all of your help Steve and here is what i gathered from my install today.

Tools needed for the shifter: Two 12mm cresent wrench, or one cresent and a shioirty socket wrench, Snap Ring Pliers are a must Home Depot will have them for about 15 dollars or so, if there is a Harbor Frieght Tools nearby i picked up the pliers for 2.11. Narrow Needle Nose Pliers preferably or small flat head screw driver can be used for prying, flat head s.d. for screws. Cheap towels or paper towels.

• 1 month later...

People should be aware at the top of all the STS installs that the ScoobyMod.com links are for the WRX and "not" the Legacy due to the snap ring,..

I almost got physical with my shifter trying to "pop" shifter out of there till i saw the snap ring,...

If it werent for this "write-up" and me checking back and forth in my garage and my computer in my room, wouldve messed up my shifter and such like someone else already did,..

Hopefully, due to the many "mods" people are doing and some being the "1st" to do writeups, sooner or later we need a "cleanup" of all the misleading or wrong "diy" links...

my 2cents,..

thanks

Finished putting in my kartboy short shifter and it feels good,..Will put in the bushings later on,..

Tip on getting the snap ring out,..If you use snap ring pliers, have 2 screwdrivers with you, one small flathead and a larger flathead,..

When you squeeze the snapring together, use the small flathead to get under the snapring right next to the "circle" and lodge it under there,..

Use the other larger flathead screwdriver to run underneath and "bead" around the rest or the snapring to get it out of its groove,..

From there the snapring should come out,...

Sorry no pictures, but I needed all the patience and both hands to use snapring to squeeze and other to get flathead screwdriver underneath it,..

• 1 month later...

Hey Ken,

The STi short throw and the Cobb basically accomplish the same thing, that is shorten shift throws. They just do it different ways.

From what others have reported and my own experience with my Kartboy short shifter, I do think that you would benefit from the shifter bushings and possible the STi tranny mount depending on the level of NVH you're willing to tolerate.

So what would the bushing do? Make shifting easier...solid...less troublesome...I noticed the STi STS has problems engaging in 1 and 2 in the winter, but when the car is warmed up 5-10 minutes later...it's back to normal...I also notice sometimes its hard to engage /find the gears!

So would adding the Kartboy bushing to my already existing STi STS be a help???

Thanks,

CRAZY KEN

• 1 month later...

Archived