LegacyGT.com

Need new rims but don't know brands

UTwrestler22

Alright, now I have the color and size narrowed down to what I want so....here's what im looking for. I have 800 to spend on rims maybe a little more. Now, i need a strong, durable rim. I want black with a red lip all the way around. Rota makes a sweee-ee-eeeet rim but i hear rota arent the most durable. So what are some materials that are pretty strong and brands that make them. I dont need racing rims but im on dirt trails and in the snow and in the mountains pretty frequently and obviously like to go fast up the canyon with curves so something sick that will hold up. If anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated.

Nobody "needs" wheels, so save your money until you can get what you really want. (Or don't do it at all, I still rock the stock wheels unless I'm autocrossing o tracking when I have old-style SSR Type-Cs)

Also, new wheels are for suckers, look at used.

Any wheels will do. Doesn't matter if they are rotas, volk, drag, ect.

If you hit a pot hole or hit anything hard enough with your wheels, none of them will hold. Its how you take care of the wheels.

I also believe that wheels is what makes a car. The wheels you pick will either make you stand out or look like a tard.

And yes its a need thing. I don't want to look like evey other legacy out there looking stock, unless you are going for that sleeper look.

Works

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_NRSDCBt4i-U/S6dJ1MSIDaI/AAAAAAAAEWQ/GEtbHXy5zUM/advan%20wheels.jpg

Rota

http://castor-troy.com/rota.jpg

Volk

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36651&stc=1&d=1231045886

http://danavon7.home.comcast.net/bend2.jpg

Have mercy! That picture of the destroyed Volk wheel made me cringe... I'd agree with what's being said here though, wheels speak volumes about your car. You gotta pay to be the boss if you wanna roll on Volks or BSS or what have you. Just don't settle on a set that works though, buy a set that you know you'll be happy with.

Wow. That busted up rota makes the decision easier.

Seriously? Not to flame you, but you don't know squat about wheels. Rota's are good quality (especially for the price) and plenty strong for street driving or even racing.

Those pictures of destroyed wheels are most likely from accidents or massive impacts to hard objects that also resulted in damage to the suspension, etc.

The enkei's you linked to are no better or worse than the rotas. And they are a 18x7.5.

The next step up in quality/construction for a marginal price increase would be a spun-forged (enkei MAT) wheel from TSW, Enkei, etc.

I hit a spike in the road at 100+ in an Audi S4. It only cracked the rim and destroyed the tire. To get that kind of damage, you'd have to be working at it very hard.

[scottish road, sightseeing too much, drifted slightly off the road crossing a bridge. It looked like a broken-off bridge part sticking up about 3 inches. Destroyed both left side tires and cracked both rims]

Seriously? Not to flame you, but you don't know squat about wheels. Rota's are good quality (especially for the price) and plenty strong for street driving or even racing.

Those pictures of destroyed wheels are most likely from accidents or massive impacts to hard objects that also resulted in damage to the suspension, etc.

The enkei's you linked to are no better or worse than the rotas. And they are a 18x7.5.

The next step up in quality/construction for a marginal price increase would be a spun-forged (enkei MAT) wheel from TSW, Enkei, etc.

you are funny

you are funny

And you're the resident "if it isn't name brand and forged it's crap" troll. :rolleyes:

um...no

shitty knock off wheels will crack by just hitting potholes

whereas if the wheels are made with more pure material, meaning better strength, it won't crack as easily

I am comparing cast to cast wheels, not cast vs. forged

Please bless us with more of your technical insights.

"The Most Advanced Technology (M.A.T) combines one-piece cast wheel technology with a rim forming technology called spinning process. Using this new technology of casting and rim forming by M.A.T process, is critical to improve drastically the material property and strength of the wheels."

From tirerack on spin forming:

"This specialized process begins with a low pressure type of casting and uses a special machine that spins the initial casting, heats the outer portion of the casting and then uses steel rollers pressed against the rim area to pull the rim to its final width and shape. The combination of the heat, pressure and spinning create a rim area with the strength similar to a forged wheel without the high cost of the forging. Some of the special wheels produced for the O.E.M. high performance or limited production vehicles utilize this type of technology resulting in a light and strong wheel at a reasonable cost. BBS has used this technology for several years in their production of racing wheels for Formula One and Indy cars. BBS's RC wheel for the aftermarket is an example of a wheel produced using spun rim technology."

The wheels are cast, then spun FORMED, not forged. a "Spin-forging" process would not even be possible, since the design is created by pressing an aluminum billet into shape under extreme pressure.

On topic though I agree with Fossinator, if you find wheels you want and settle for something else because of some reason (cost, wife's opinion etc.) you will be like countless others who look at their wheels and still wish for the ones they fell in love with, not the ones they settled for.

That's why I'm saving for tc 105-n's :wub:

Just don't settle on a set that works though, buy a set that you know you'll be happy with.

Archived