LegacyGT.com

2006 legacy gt limited

heres my question.... can I use 87 octane gas in this car or do I have to use premiun gas?? I just got this car and the salesman did say but there is a sticker on the inside of the gas door that say premium only. also I read on a website that I can use regular 87 gas..... very confused on this issue and the dealership is closed today. so if anyone can help that would be great

I'll echo what's been stated above. Because: A higher octane rating helps prevent knock/detonation/preignition. Lower octane won't fight knock/detonation/preignition like premium will, and you'll knock. Once the knock sensor hears knock above a preset threshold, it'll pull timing. And then I believe it'll pull boost. Your turbocharged car will run like an N/A 2.5i. But yes - you can use it. Bit you don't want to.

You made the investment in the car. Spend the additional buck or 2 at a fillup and use premium. The manufacturer would not suggest premium unless they thought it important. Your dealer is a dork.

It's when you're boosting that you need the octane. In the newer cars with SI drive, I mode (economy) reduces max boost right off the bat. The car will run fine on 87 but if you do kick it into S# and floor it, you'll feel be timing and boost being pulled. I know my 08 has SI drive....don't know when the first year was.

Archived