LegacyGT.com

My First Subaru

I'm fairly new too, but am in the process of changing out some of my fluids (did my Subie's 2nd oil change today). I run 5W-30 year round (I believe this is the manufacturer's recommendation)

For auto transmission & power steering- you can use standard Dexron 3 or 4, for front and rear differentials use 75W-90 gear oil (preferably a synthetic). I think you can use standard DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid.

Brake fluid sweats and creates condensation if its not a pressurized system, besides it only being used for brakes or clutch slave cylinder I would be afraid that over time and temperature deviation your ring and pinion gears which are ferrous metals will deteriorate.

Motul is the best, but is it really necessary? probably not, switching all the fluids to synthetic might release a couple extra ponies, if nothing else will be an improvement and lessen the damage during cold starts.

Check your transmission fluid with the dipstick and whipe it on a white paper towel and look for black/brown specs as this indicates wear in the transmission. even if no specs are found if the fluid is not a deep red I would change it, if it has gone pink I believe water contamination. It takes 2-3 drain and fills to really eliminate all the Auto trans fluid as much is stuck in the torque converter, but even changing it once is a good start.

for your rear differential you can use a GL5 fluid, this will reduce drag slightly over what's in there or GL4, for your front diff / Transmission if manual use a GL4 synthetic. if you wan't to really clean your engine run a conventional oil for 2500 miles and then drain it and switch to synthetic, the idea is to drain it before it breaks down fully leaving a clean engine once you put the good stuff in.

Archived