LegacyGT.com

How to remove shifter surround panel / shift boot?

MoffatRodney

I'm upgrading to the JDM double DIN head unit style dash. I need to take my shifter surround panel off so I can get it painted to match the black colour of the JDM control panels.

I was able to pop it out without issue, but it appears to still be attached to the shift boot - how would I go about removing this? It's a 5 speed manual.

Are you talking about taking the shift boot off of the surround panel or detaching the shift boot from the shift knob?

Both really - I need to get the surround panel off and detached from the boot. I'd imagine I'd need to both detach it from the knob, and then detach it from the panel?

^^^I find it easier to pull the shift boot down off of the lip on the shift knob before unscrewing the knob itself. After you have the surround panel removed, flip it over. There is a plastic ring that the shift boot is stapled to that's clipped to the underside of the surround panel. If you gently pry the plastic ring out, the boot will come with it. Here's some pics from some instructions for installing a new shift boot: http://www.redlinegoods.com/Legacy05install.shtm.

Archived