LegacyGT.com

well I had my car in the air while checking my sway bars. I saw I had a torn CV boot :mad:. I want to just replace the axel and call it a day,but I hear nightmares about getting an axel that is a non OEM one. Everything from drive chain noise, to other problems. Is this really true? Has anyone replace with a Rockauto cv shaft, or remaned AutoZone cv shaft? Should I rebuild it?

Chime in and if you have a place online let me know. I have a hook up at the dealer but that would still be a hearty price :spin:. I will rebuild the old. Thanks

EMPI was really good, but ownership changed and it's now called Empire. I have been using a pair of their axles for ~10k miles with no problems. Stay away from Cardone (they are also sold as NAPA and Autozone brands) - one pair lasted 200 miles and the replacements went 50; in both cases they let go with a cloud of smoke and a cascade of parts rolling down the road. I'm NA, so there wasn't much power to stress them.

Ok thanks I did find EMPI axels on amazon. My question is, will it fit my 2.5i, it says it fits 08 legacy but not a specific model. here is the link

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Empi-80-5531-Joint-Half-Shaft-Assembly/dp/B00478LDNE/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1452001651&vehicle=2008-13-64------------1-0&sr=1-4&ymm=2008%3Asubaru%3Alegacy]Amazon.com: Empi 80-5531 CV Joint Half-Shaft Assembly: Automotive[/ame]

if that is the one I will get it for that price. :spin:I will have to research more.

I'm running two autozone reman 7336's with no problems. The axle cups are a little rusty now, that's my only minor complaint. If you have an AT, I'd go with a new/reman subaru axle, or take yours out and reboot it.

I do notice some noise from them, but only if I turn the radio off and I try to listen for it. I copied and pasted my reply from another thread, and a link to an audio clip with the sound.

Unfortunately I can't help with the issue you are having. But what I can say is that with the MT legacies, I've read a lot of good reviews about the autozone 7336 remanufactured axles. I've read AT's should stick with OEM since aftermarket axles can cause vibration in drive, but MT's are good with aftermarket.

I replaced my two front axles with remanufactured 7336's last year, and they seem to work just fine. I think the ball bearings in the reman 7336's are hollow, versus solid with oem cv axles, because the remans do make a little bit more noise than my oem cv axles did. The noise isn't bad though, I can only hear it at certain times when the radio is off. You can hear it from around 9-16 seconds, 19-21 seconds, and 26-27 seconds in the video link below.

https://youtu.be/LxPb92p-MJA

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cv-axle-noisei-help-please-246477.html?t=246477

Ok so while I was bored at work, I searched and searched the interwebz. I am located in Missouri. I called Natewade Subaru in Salt lake city, UT and they sell OEM remaned cv shafts, the price was 179.99 + 50 core + shipping. Well hell that's still pricey. I also found http://www.raxles.com/, they sell OEM remaed cv shafts and that's all they do. I tried to call them yesterday but they were closed. I been hearing great things about them. It says they have been doing it for 20 years on the site and you have to call to order only. Man outback guy (I have an 06 OBL 2.5i also) say these are great. I will let you all know how the call goes. :)

Ok so after searching I found Marty @ http://www.raxles.com/ (352)-377-5751) just ask for him. He has been building OEM Subaru cv shafts for 20 years and I explained about the nightmares of aftermarket cv shafts. He explained that the china cv shafts are junk, along with the autozones, cardone and what ever else. I am going to order some and test them out. :eek:

I had to go through this as well. I have somewhat lucked out with the new SurTrack axle I got from Rockauto. No weird sounds, smooth ride, etc... I do plan on rebooting my original axle at some point.

But if someone is rebuilding and selling for a good price, why not try it out.

If you have a concern about getting another axle, then might as well go through the extra steps and just reboot your original and nothing else to worry about.

I have heard nothing but good things about raxles, let us know how it works out.

I am going to order them today, my can it popping more, but only when I turn slow over bumps and when I stop fast. :mad:. I just drive it to work 4 miles and back home. I drive 20 MPH on the back city roads :mad:. Sucks I have to stay away from redline :spin:.

I will be in the outback for now till get things going. I will also take pictures of the axels from Raxels. I was told it's Raxels or Subaru.

Ordered the axels from Raxels, So the total was 419 for both, shipped. I think that includes getting the core charge back also. I knew 179 for both was a bit low, but two OE for that price beats the Subaru price any day. The price did include shipping both ways. Stay tuned. :spin:

Ordered the axels from Raxels, So the total was 419 for both, shipped. I think that includes getting the core charge back also. I knew 179 for both was a bit low, but two OE for that price beats the Subaru price any day. The price did include shipping both ways. Stay tuned. :spin:

Hopefully those work out. If you have the money, the full axle is easy enough to install with a little work. Personally for that price I would have just rebooted the axles - I think the OEM boot kits are around $50+ a piece. Good luck, let us know!

Oh I am putting the shafts in my self with same ole guys that helped pull my motor. We do all the work to the car. We have done my old STI and a few WRX that my friends have owned. Also my 06 Outback I have too. The only thing I had Subaru do was my tranny when I messed up a seal.

I would reboot it but I getting the car ready for show season, and I need everything straight. I did talk it over about rebooting them but since we have to pull them any way I am just going to replace them. Since the car has been paid for a long time I just been saving for maintenance issue like this that pop up. :lol: The head gasket was one thing,So thank god I had been saving. :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so, with access to a very nice lift, and about 1.5 hours, the Raxels axels are in the car and they are great.

So some things I found out. These axles are filled with Amsoil Synthetic high heat grease (If you know me, I only use Amsoil and I am the Amsoil guy in my area). I am so damn happy :spin:these have the extreme grease. This make it so the boot will not get eaten up. I know for sure the grease is top notch. I use the same grease to lube up everything on my car.

I got them installed and hit the country back road did a buck plus and no issues. :lol: I have some pictures of the new axles and will post them up soon. I would suggest either Subaru axles if you have deep pockets and do not care , or get Raxles Axles from marty.

PSSS what makes these also Bad A@@, they sent me a pocket knife :eek: wit the order. :spin:

• 3 weeks later...
It's very simple to do, that link above will work. Raxels are the way to go. Do not cheap out on AutoZone axels or whatever. Love year car and buy quality parts. It will last for miles :)

I did the ball joint on the passenger side last year so I can at least remove half of it. I'm not too worried about it. Just emailed Raxles, thanks!

Archived