LegacyGT.com

possible u-joint?

Hey everyone.

I'm driving a 2005 outback i with some vibration issues. The problem was initially being masked by a bad wheel bearing, which once replaced, only relieved half the symptoms.

Currently I feel a vibration under stress or lag when in gear, and a general vibration that resonates more at different speeds, but always vibrates while moving (coasting in neutral). The vibration seems centered beneath the center arm rest/console.

I'm thinking this is going to be a bad universal joint. Any other ideas or indications? Also if it is the u-joint, these are non-repairable, right? Any good way to get this done on the cheap?

Thanks.

-Bob

I'd replace the other rear wheel bearing first.

Have someone drive the car while you ride in the back seat.

You can tell alot from back there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Then that could be the issue, Check with the vendors on here. They offer good dealers on OEM parts. Fred Beans subaru, is who most of us use.

I think there may be a DIY on here to cover the replacement too. I know your not the first to need one replaced.

I've had my driveshaft out. It is simple. Only issue may be snapping one of the heat shield bolts. I left the heat shield out 15 month's ago.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

If you feel as though it is your driveshaft then I would say to just pull the driveshaft and rotate the joints by hand. That is what I did when I was doing my clutch. It is a very simple job to remove. Both of mine were shot at 120,000 miles. I found a driveshaft shop that can machine out the yokes, replace the joint with a greasable version, and then spin balance the assembly. They are located in Shrewsbury MA. Mitchells driveshaft service.

Are you sure the tires are balanced good? A weight didn't come unstuck from the inside of the rim?

If a rear wheel weight came off or the rear tries are our of balance, you feel that in the drivers seat at about 68mph.

If the steering wheel shimy's at 68mph it the front tire balance.

A rear wheel bearing will make it sound like the manual tranny has a bad bearing. You need to listen very closely taking flyovers on the highway for the whine to move around the car to verify it's a rear wheel bearing.

A bad front wheel bearing will feel like the front tires are out of balance on different highways. When my fronts went bad, I would get the shimy at highway speeds on rt84 but not on rt91 here in CT. I now know what caused that. Took me a while to learn that lesson.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived