LegacyGT.com

gaskets needed to do the up-pipe install ?

Skyguardian

So I will finally replace my factory catted up for an invidia catless.

My question is wich gaskets do I need to do the job ?

So far I think that I need theses two :

Grimmspeed Double Thickness Exhaust Manifold to UpPipe Gasket

Grimmspeed UpPipe to Turbo Gasket - Subaru

To those who have done the job on their lgt , did you need other gaskets ?

+1 to 01rs25, I bought a new doughnut gasket for the down-pipe to mid-pipe connection as well, but again... you can just reuse if you don't mind.

Make sure you get some PB parts breaker spray and anti-seize, and take it easy with all of the exhaust nuts/studs. If any start to seize on you, immediately stop and apply more PB. Wait 10-20min, apply more PB, tap with hammer, slowly turn back and forth and try to remove without seizing completely. I had to replace one stud in the turbo housing on the down-pipe side, and 3 or 4 nasty looking old nuts I didn't feel like reinstalling. Drive the car until the engine is at normal operating temp, jack the car up, remove underpanel, hit all nuts/studs to be removed with the PB spray (use liberally), wait until pipes are cool enough to touch, disconnect the o2 sensor wire at the clip (do not remove sensor from down-pipe), unbolt down-pipe from the mid-pipe and tranny hanger, then unbolt from turbo, down-pipe should come off, unbolt up-pipe from turbo.... this is where the "pulling the whole manifold off" trick makes the job easier, because if you don't you have to (these are the steps I watched someone who had done this service several times before do on my car) remove the R/F wheel, unbolt the swaybar mounts, unbolt the tranny cross-member (I think), put a block of wood on a jack and (this is where he lost me) jack something up in order to lift the turbo high enough to get the studs from the up-pipe out, then spend 5-10 minutes cursing at your engine bay for not giving you enough room to wiggle the up-pipe out..... or.... from the removal of the down-pipe step, unbolt the up-pipe from the turbo, unbolt the manifold from the heads, and you're apart. Tah-Dah! *This is most important!* Be sure to take a high grit sand paper and go over all of the mating surfaces to remove all corrosion buildup. After watching someone who "knew what they were doing" do this service the first time for me when I went catless, I was left with a couple exhaust leaks, one on the turbo housing down-pipe side, and one on my manifold to up-pipe surface. Be sure everything is clean before you put it back together. I chose 100% new gaskets for piece of mind, but that being said, I will reuse those gaskets that were new 6 months ago when I put my new exhaust on in the next couple weeks. Use a small coating of anti-sieze on all threads before reinstall.

I left out the steps involving OEM heat-shields, you'll have to cross that bridge when you come to it. Just some minor cutting with metal shears. Hope this helped. Good luck with your install.

Gonna point you in the direction I pointed another fellow (and myself for that matter) when we went on this adventure. Go to youtube and search "Grimmspeed up-pipe install". I know your not installing a grimmspeed part and they do it on a WRX but all up-pipes are basically the same and WRX and LGT engine bays are like 98% similar. They'll show a tech doing everything for reference along with step by step instructions. As far as gaskets go, replace anything that you unseal.

Turbo/DP

Turbo/UP

UP/manifold

manifold/head

manifold/crosspipe (If you decide to loosen the manifold/crosspipe link. It makes pulling the stock UP out a little more easy because you can drop the manifold a little further)

And whatever else you decide to loosen.

Best of luck! Like I said to another guy, Don't freak when your car starts burning PB blaster after the install (Like I did). Enjoy your new UP

Or just reuse the old gaskets. Sure its recommended to change them but its not necessary.

I've reused them when tearing the WRX apart but I hit them with copper coat to help get a good seal...

+1 for having a mechanic shadow ya. I do the same when possible. Rather pay for a couple beers and have some help then paying them to do it for me. This your only mod so far? Let me know if you notice any changes in the sound the turbo makes. Had some weird happenings when I swapped my UP

+1 for having a mechanic shadow ya. I do the same when possible. Rather pay for a couple beers and have some help then paying them to do it for me. This your only mod so far? Let me know if you notice any changes in the sound the turbo makes. Had some weird happenings when I swapped my UP

I've done pretty much all the modifications ( suspension stuff , brakes , bushings ..) and maintenance on my car by myself but replacing the uppipe looks like a PITA so having a subaru mechanic with me who can do this job in about 2 hours is more than welcome !!

I'll let you know about the sound but like 01rs25 said, its normal to hear more of the turbo because of the increased airflow and etc. And your turbo spools a little bit faster too.

I'll put new oem gaskets everywhere just to be sure that nothing leaks....

To those with an invidia uppipe , did you plugged your egt sensor in your catless uppipe or you did the resistor bypass ?!

i'll remove the banjo bolt screen while I'm there too

I have a GTSpec uppipe, and I used an oil drain plug from a Toyota and a new copper washer for the egt sensor. I just took the uppipe in to the auto parts store, tried to eyeball through the packaging to find the closest thread pitch, and they let me open up a couple of packages to find the one that fit. I was told that "an oil pan drain plug" would work to plug the hole, but didn't realize that it wasn't a factory subaru oil pan drain plug. The one for the Toyota has a tapered magnetic tip so it fits the egt hole and it fits flush with the inside of the uppipe wall.

Archived