LegacyGT.com

Spec B Clutch?

I test drove a spec b this weekend and the first thing that I notice, other than the questionable interior styling cues (all red leather seats), was that the clutch was much lighter than my 05' GT wagon. So much lighter that I almost thought I was driving a Honda. What gives? I thought the Spec B trannie and clutch was that same as the 05'. I asked the dealer and he was clueless. Any thoughts on what has changed and whether we can retrofit the change into the 05'?

Other than that I really wish the steering wheel controls and the suspension bits would fit into my wagon. And driving the stock ecu again was quite a shock.

My pressure plate went after 20k kms and the dealer replaced my entire clutch/flywheel assembly under warranty. The part numbers were supposed to be the exact same.

My new clutch is so much lighter than the previous one, not only that but it does not slip, it does not stink and engages quickly. I havent tried any hard launches but so far this clutch is night and day difference from the original. I am wondering if I didnt get a clutch that was updated slightly for 06.

There is no way that it is the same as original. There must have been some changes made along the way somewhere. With all the various complaints about the orig clutch its no surprise.

There is no way that it is the same as original. There must have been some changes made along the way somewhere. With all the various complaints about the orig clutch its no surprise.

They probably have to be very careful about admitting they changed anything, or else everyone will want a free new clutch. Now I kind of hope my clutch needs to be replaced under warranty.

Congarulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

your lucky number 69!!!!!!!!!!!!!

think, search, post

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22688&highlight=spec

quit being an ass. This was a legitimate question man....not like the million other Spec B threads. :rolleyes:

As for clutch feel, 'Sgt' drove my car and remarked how heavy my clutch is compared to his. We both have '05's with some miles on them. He's never had the stink. :icon_excl

if he had searched, maybe even one of the threads,

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19148&highlight=spec

he would see that the upgrade list does not include a clutch.

thank you very much!

he obviously already knew that by his first post. I'll pull out the pertinent part for you:

What gives? I thought the Spec B trannie and clutch was that same as the 05'.

Upon driving the car, he noticed a big difference and wants more info. I would have done the same thing, asking here for an explanation (even though I have read almost every post on this board in the last year).

it was a new car....new car=light clutch until broken in

i worked at a suby dealership and they all feel like that new

When would the clutch be broken in? I dont see how my clutch will double in "weight" after it breaks in. Would the pedal go from feeling light to heavy? youd think the opposite would happen.

I got my car with 7k kms on it so I dont know how the clutch felt "new new" but I can tell you that there is a huge difference between what I had (brick) and what I have now (feather).

The clutch in my LGT has felt like utter ASS since day one. Any change would be an improvement. Worst clutch on any car I've owned.

I wonder if I'd have to pull off all the Stage 2 crap to get a warranty claim made? I mean this clutch just plain SUCKS. It feels like a racing clutch and takes Mr. Universe calves to hold the thing in. It also grabs at very unpredictable distances in it's travel. Ok, maybe a little melodrama there, but it SUCKS.

I'm serious, a better clutch would transform how this car feels as a daily driver. How can I go about having the dealership honor this "defect."

The clutch design has definately changed, although the service rep stated that it had not. Part numbers remaining the same makes sense as it is a factory part replacing a factory part doing the same thing, regardless of the design.

There was a problem with the pressure plate which was corrected mid-2005 (I believe). My replacement is definately lighter than the stock one which wore out at about 20,000 Kms.

The pedal may get a bit heavier with wear, but will not double in weight after break-in.

+1

It must be a bad early batch of clutches. Im pretty sure mine has an early build date.

My cluth has always been heavy - from mile 21 till now - 16k+

I am also noticing more slip.

I am going to test an 2006 and see if there is a difference.

If so, I will go to the dealership's owner and see what can be done - if anything.

I have done continued research on the issue and found that some of our members have had their pressure plate replaced, which has resulted in the lighter clutch action. I am going to pursue this as the heavy clutch keeps my wife from wanting to drive the Legacy...oh wait on second thought...

I can't believe how many people and publications complain about how heavy the cluth pedal feels. I think it feels great. Maybe everybody needs to start hitting the gym and work out their legs a little. You want a heave clutch try pushing in a Mustang Cobra's clutch pedal.

I can't believe how many people and publications complain about how heavy the cluth pedal feels. I think it feels great. Maybe everybody needs to start hitting the gym and work out their legs a little. You want a heave clutch try pushing in a Mustang Cobra's clutch pedal.

It seems to me that there is a lot of inconsistency. For many it's light, for others it's too heavy. Yours may not be as heavy as others so you can't necessarily base their complaints off of how your clutch feels.

I've noticed the same inconsistency with comments on engagement. Many say theirs engages really low, down by the firewall. I've read at least one publication make this comment. Mine engages really high, in the last couple inches of travel. Sometimes it even seems as if it varies because I'll think I have it down and then I'll stall on a slow start because it engaged sooner than I expected. Or the opposite, where I'll end up slipping the clutch extensively because I expect it to be fully engaged at that point. These instances don't happen often, but moreso than any other standard transmission car I've ever owned. And when it slips...it stinks.

I have a late 2005 build OBXT, ordered from the factory. My clutch is very light and engages *very* low and somewhat abruptly. I have become more smooth with it, but felt it was hard to modulate when I first bought the car.

I rarely get the clutch stink, really only happens when I dump the clutch or let it slip too much.

:munch:

The clutch design has definately changed, although the service rep stated that it had not. Part numbers remaining the same makes sense as it is a factory part replacing a factory part doing the same thing, regardless of the design.

Not true, Subaru will change part numbers anytime anything about a part is changed, even if it the part specifications haven't changed and a different manufacturer makes a part it gets a different number.

The Dual-Mass Flywheel, Clutch Disc and pressure plate have not changed. Still the same part numbers in the new 2006 Spec-B as my very early production GT.

Pressure Plate - 30210AA550

Clutch Disc - 30100AA810

Dual-Mass Flywheel - 12345AA010

how does one explain then somebody who drives two LGT's back to back and the apparent disparity in feel (like SGT driving my car)?

Maybe it's something else like the clutch master cylinder or something. To many parts to check them all! :D

Archived