LegacyGT.com

Working on cars? I want to learn. Let me be your protege

z28dreams

So here's the deal-

I've always loved learning how cars work, and I really want some hands-on experience tearing cars apart, building engines, tuning, etc.

However, owning only one car, I really can't learn much on my own because:

1) I rely on my car to get around, and if I break it, I'm SOL

2) Being inexperienced, if I break something it can be really expensive to fix on cars ( unlike other hobbies, where you might be out a few bucks if you mess up ).

I'm near alexandria, and willing to meet up anyone who's working on their car and needs a helping hand.

I figure this could also be a great way to save a few bucks down the road.

Boring/maintenance stuff I'd like to learn:

- changing brakes

- changing spark plugs

- changing fluids

More interesting stuff I'd like to learn:

- installing new performance parts ( full engines / turbos / etc )

- engine tuning

Things I've already done:

- car audio installations ( speakers, head units, amps, etc )

- other electrical troubleshooting

Shoot me a PM if you regularly work on cars and are willing to mentor a bit!

Hey man, longtime. I see you still having fun with the car lol. Well i'm not a pro, but I'm going to install a cat-back exhaust and a rear sway bar w/new endlinks soon. I could use a set of extra hands. Just waiting for the rain to stop LOL.

Hey man, longtime. I see you still having fun with the car lol. Well i'm not a pro, but I'm going to install a cat-back exhaust and a rear sway bar w/new endlinks soon. I could use a set of extra hands. Just waiting for the rain to stop LOL.

Jimmy - sweet. Definitely let me know. The body roll on the Legacy is killing me. I'm considering adding a sway bar as well.

How bad is the install on them?

I'm also going to have to do brakes in the next 1-2,000 miles. (I've only put about 3,000 miles on the car since I bought it from you! I used to metro to work everyday, but I've started driving just to get some use out of the car.)

Hmm - I'm gonna have to start looking for some sway bars. Anyone here know of any good deals? I could probably go used I guess.

Also, if I'm just looking to reduce body roll, can I just do rear sway bars? Or are the fronts needed also?

Well, I do have a double space in a ballston parking garage through EOM April...I don't have anything to install right now, though. Unless someone wants to help me figure out why my amp isn't getting enough power and maybe lay some dynamat. haha

Once I get the Arlington place off my sak there will be much more $ for mods :) (but no more place to install)

• 2 months later...
gogordo! I think you live across the street from me or something...15th and Corcoran, yes?

I thought that might be you. I don't actually live across the street.... but I am there at 15th & Corcoran often.

I just reinstalled one of my end links. The end links are damn easy. From the looks of it, the sway bar looks pretty easy too.

Nice. Have you had your window broken in yet?? Mine was and I'm paying for a secured assigned access garage opener key fob climate control blah blah blah spot below vida now. Every fri-sun morning I see shattered auto glass on the sidewalk, sometimes they smash a whole block - crazy chit's running rampant around here. :spin:

Wndw.thumb.jpg.934c0740730581cebd13af7178f902d8.jpg

Wndw2.jpg.4807a2a807c572bfbbb680c6da17ef74.jpg

Oh, I can help whomever with audio installs...Especially in exchange for lowering help, or if someone has a hookup at a good body shop. This is the other piece of awesome comprehensive damage I need to have fixed thanks to DC utility workers and someone with a heavy cart or something...

Dmg.thumb.jpg.442bee59063d7745698081a6b52e8715.jpg

Dmg2.thumb.jpg.6873d16e8df9662a5fd3688032ec7484.jpg

Dmg3.jpg.8c447d9bfd0b761f52f0e58d2c684ac5.jpg

Dmg4.thumb.jpg.483a4ee6756bb968a8845d00bee0df68.jpg

Dmg5.thumb.jpg.1fe184ba3bdb6f824661728e4ca9d556.jpg

I have heard that DC has the worst reputation for dings, scratches, & dents. People just don't respect cars around here.

My window has not been broken.... yet. I have seen the broken glass all over the place and have even parked on top of it numerous times. I actually keep the inside of my car looking messy to deter people from breaking in. I leave bags of chips & gym clothes laying around because who would want to steal that?

Did you have anything in your car that enticed them? Did they steal anything?

How much was the window damage?

PS - I just got done replacing a few things. Here's my post: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116537

Yeah DC is a crap hole of people that do not respect other people's cars. My friend has a 2.5i Leggy. I remember when he just bought it from CarMax. It was GORGEOUS! Now, it has the paint scraped off the rear bumper, due to some R-tard brushing against it with their car. Worse yet, it has dings everywhere. It sucks. The poor guy hates DC to death because of what happened to his car. I just don't understand people sometimes. Whatever happened to respect?

Oh the bumper parkers are the worst. Especially those with jacked up front plates that just knick, scratch and dent the car in front of them, regardless of how nice it is. Everyday I watch both men and women, just wedge themselves in by bumping the cars in front and behind them 2-4 times a piece. I make comments to them sometimes...usually not appreciated by them. Oh well, this is why I'm paying for a garage space now.

The Po's told me they're just looking for suction cup marks or any aux cords and breaking in thinking there will be a GPS inside. When they got me I actually had about 3k of golf clubs in the BACKSEAT they didn't touch. Or the 3k+ worth of stereo equipment in the trunk. They didn't even open my console or glovebox, just took a gear bag with a couple shirts and golf balls in it...all of which were found in the pouring rain in the gutter the next morning. Idiots didn't even take the umbrella.

My neighbor just leaves his car empty and unlocked all the time. Sometimes he can tell someone's shuffled through it, but nothing there and open doors means no damage usually.

Going to be doing a coilover install sometime soon with some other suspension stuff.

AVO Rear sway bar bracket.

Whiteline sway bar bushings.

Whiteline steering rack bushings.

Racecomp Engineering coilovers (still have to place the order).

If you have a garage and want to learn just let me know! You can learn, and I can use your garage :-)

Archived