LegacyGT.com

5EAT Ask your Questions!?!

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_6/automatic_transmission/at_transfer_and_extension/illustration_1/

What did you destroy? Small chance I can sell you some replacement parts I have in stock. Alternatively, you can order the individual gears you destroyed, which could possibly be cheaper than the price you are working with now.

I'm not sure what the gears are called. I know its four small gears and a gear on a shaft.

Dave, when I go from Neutral to Drive the entire car "drops" into drive

I mean I/we all feel it engage. It is kind of cool, but is there an issue there?

Maybe I need new mounts?

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

Climber, my cars PO had a ATF flush done at 105,000 miles. It was done by a shop in PA. Should I be worried that they could have done it wrong?

If it's shifting fine and holding power in all gears, then nothing is wrong :)

I swear...another meet just to work on the cars...I'd love to get down and flush the tran. Install some things too but oh well.

I hosted one of those before, but not anymore. I no longer work for free. Can't justify it when I still have a work backlog on my own car. Happy to be an option for servicing your car, or seeing if someone else wants to host an install day.

I'm not sure what the gears are called. I know its four small gears and a gear on a shaft.

You stripped your sun gear and planet gears in your center diff. Is that the extent of the damage?

Dave, when I go from Neutral to Drive the entire car "drops" into drive

I mean I/we all feel it engage. It is kind of cool, but is there an issue there?

Maybe I need new mounts?

Normal. It hits hard in the morning, then is fine once the car is warmed up. I like the idea of interfering with the temp sensors, as an upgrade option. The temp sensor scaling is aggressive on the 5EAT. It hits very hard in the morning, then totally fine once warmed up. Modified valve body characteristic.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I don't think I'd let someone work on my car for free......just saying. I work on bikes, and my "free" jobs aren't the best... Just saying.

Haha... My (past) free jobs helping out friends have always been the same quality as my most expensive paid work. All the data I've read on the subject says that it doesn't matter what you pay someone; in the end some people are internally driven to do their tasks exceptionally well, and some people not so much. Heck, I used a torque wrench last time I changed a tire on a friend's old car, for free. The rest of the car may fall apart, but that wheel, hub, rotor, studs, bearing, will not be compromised due to anything I did.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I make my repairs safe, but...I don't go into detail much. Like cleaning, or greasing (Unless it's in dire need if it)

I can't say with any accuracy how well worth it it has been. I don't know how many hours, days, months of my life have been wasted doing arguably unnecessary detail finish things; I prefer not to think about it :lol: Hopefully it's added up to have been worth it. Oh well.

Don't worry it will learn itself back into its' retarded ways :lol:

Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question. If I drive my 5eat in manual or sport, shifting @ 3-3500 rpm or higher for an hour or so and then change to auto, is it normal for the tranny to automatically shift at different rpm's for a short period of time ( or just kind of act confused for a short period of time) hard to explain what it does, that's why I quoted Fishbone's learn itself back post.

That's bizarre. Were you in the car when it happened? If not, I wouldn't go back to that shop. Sounds like a sure case of abuse. There are four planetaries on the sun gear, so there's tons of surface area for the teeth faces. It should be hella strong. Anybody else ever strip the center diff planet?

It sounds like the mechanic may have launched your car after the tune. Little did he know, you can't do that on a stock center diff.

That's bizarre. Were you in the car when it happened? If not, I wouldn't go back to that shop. Sounds like a sure case of abuse. There are four planetaries on the sun gear, so there's tons of surface area for the teeth faces. It should be hella strong. Anybody else ever strip the center diff planet?

Many people have, but none have with either cryo treatment or the bushings installed (and people have tried). Issue does not appear to be the gears themselves, though they end up paying when torque deforms the assembly and things stop meshing nicely.

Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question. If I drive my 5eat in manual or sport, shifting @ 3-3500 rpm or higher for an hour or so and then change to auto, is it normal for the tranny to automatically shift at different rpm's for a short period of time ( or just kind of act confused for a short period of time) hard to explain what it does, that's why I quoted Fishbone's learn itself back post.

ClimberD, Fishbone? Thx

I wouldn't worry about it.

Depends. Define confused.

During winter time I drive mine about 90% of the time in manual mode.

When I let it go in Auto mode what I can tell is that it engages torque lock-up sooner, faster, firmer, and holds better.

Essentially it acts as if it learned that I drive it aggressively despite the fact it doesn't see revs go above 3K at most. Just normal city driving.

In manual mode line pressure is up from what I remember and this may be just a built-in measure in the shift logic that it alters its shifting after you've driven it a while in manual mode.

Again, this entirely depends on what you mean by weird.

Best I can describe it is that it seems to be in a huge hurry to shift to the highest gear possible as well as hold torque lock-up as much as possible. This could very well be a simple "side-effect" of the residual learned behavior from having driven it in manual mode.

But like I said, don't worry, it will re-learn itself into its old soft and mushy ways :lol:

I've only reset the TCU a couple times, but every time, also given my modded valve body, LOVED the shifting. For about a week. After that at part throttle in town it became "meh" again. Don't get me wrong, pedal to the metal it shifts awesomely.

I know ClimberD's valve body mod is better than mine but I still love my IPT and has held great over the years/miles/red-line runs.

Edited by fishbone

I have a question probably asked but here we go. I'm going to be installing an hta68a sometime in march. What I'd like to know is, should I get the VB first then install the turbo or can the stock setup hold up for tuning (road and dyno)? I want to do this right but undecided on which order I should proceed in. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have a question probably asked but here we go. I'm going to be installing an hta68a sometime in march. What I'd like to know is, should I get the VB first then install the turbo or can the stock setup hold up for tuning (road and dyno)? I want to do this right but undecided on which order I should proceed in. Any help is greatly appreciated.

There are some techniques you can do to get by with a lot of torque and a stock 5EAT temporarily, but they are annoying. It's one of those things where if you have to ask, it's much safer to not play with fire.

In most things, better to build the foundation first, then build the house.

Alright Dave, still having some slipping issues with my trans after doing my flush. Not sure if its tune related or what. Getting on an onramp in 2nd (cruising at 40mph then flooring to merge) very delayed shift from 2-3(manual mode didnt upshift let the car do it). Didnt bang or clunk into gear like before just didnt seem to catch when it shouldve. Recently reflashed to my cobb stage 1 93 map. Tryed to repeat in normal drive mode and didnt seem to slip. Any thoughts?