LegacyGT.com

ACT clutch rant

GTTuner

What a POS clutch this thing is. I went from a Spec II to the ACT HD-SS and I hate it. It slips, it stinks, the damn pedal is like prying a bear trap open. My car makes maybe 330 whp tops.... and this clutch won't hold. I have about 4000 miles on it. The other night I did a moderately hard launch and it was slipping, my OE clutch held up better than the Spec and this piece of shit! I ended up doing about six hard launches then it finally started to grab, now it smells so fckn bad it is rediculous. I walked by my car this morning and it smelled like an electrical fire. The fingers on the PP are uneven and you can watch the clutch fork wobble when the engine is running....I won't recomend this clutch to anyone. Ok, rant over. Anyone have a good used OE clutch I can use as an upgrade to this piece junk? :lol:

Interesting, although unfortunate. I have the same clutch in my car, paired with the WRX SMFW and TSK3 and the pedal is light, although with more feedback than the OE setup. I can modulate the clutch through the full stroke off the pedal. HOWEVER, I have driven in customers cars with the same clutch and FW and found the pedal to be overly stiff, relatively "numb", and to only have action at the last 10% of travel. None of the ACT clutches I have driven have had any problems with slipping.

I can't help with a used clutch, but I would be happy to try and save you some cash on a new setup if you need to go that route.

Yes it was broken it perfectly, at least it doesn't chatter! THe Spec chattered so badly I needed a kidney belt. I've drive manual trans cars all my life and never have I had such an issue with clutches. I wish Centerforce made one for this car.....with an asbestos disk. I've had Centerforce in everything and never had a problem with any of them.

Rick, PM me a CM FX300 kit to 02891......I have a brand new WRX flywheel already in there. I hate to toss out an 800 dollar clutch but I know ACT won't do anything for me......except maybe dry my tears, lol.

Maybe I am putting a lot more power down than I think? The car runs 12.5's and traps a bit more than 110 mph.

Strange.... mine never slips. It grabs hard, and it grabs quick, and I've done hard launches, on stage 2.

The chatter (or gear lash, rather) definitely transmits into my shifter more... but that's also a function of the short throw shifter + stock aluminum Momo knob. A different knob like the fully leather one is markedly quieter.

Pedal is definitely stiff, and I don't get much feedback through the pedal at all. It's really stiff. I stepped on someone's stock clutch and almost put my foot through the floorboard.

Smell, I don't have a problem unless I screw up my launch.

I could very definitely be mistaken, but a 12.5 with 110 trap sounds like more than 330 WHP...?

• 2 months later...

I have one in the 6MT flavor and it has been fine for the 10k miles or so (~300whp). Heavy pedal effort, but grabs like there is no tomorrow. Was loud like hell for the first 1k miles, but it has settled then. Still has some decel noise but livable.

For my 2nd 6MT swap I am wondering whether go with it again or FX300/FX350 for a change...

Archived