LegacyGT.com

Help with Morettes (can't get Highs to work)

Hey guys, I bought a set of Morettes with an HID kit from japan from a fellow member. My buddy and I got the low beams and driving lights to work just fine, but we can't get the high beams to work. When we have the high beam bulb wire going to the factory high beam wire (from snipped harness) it just blows the fuse as soon as i hit the switch. I am assuming it has something to do with the grounding, needing a relay or something of the sort. Supposedly the JDM Projectors you just match wire to wire, so I don't see why these would be any different. Any ideas or solutions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

Matt

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if the HID kit you got doesnt have a built in relay, you really should be putting one inline to protect your system from back feed. and there should be two wires, like the other guys said. of course, the ground could be shared, like in the 9007 hi/lo harness.

Sorry I didn't mention that. Yes there are 2 wires coming from the high. If we wore ground to the chassis with the rest of the set-up, and the bulb itself to the factory high beam wire, it blows a fuse immediately. I also forgot to mention that the hid kit is only for the low beams and it does have a relay. Thanks for the suggestions, any other ideas with that adde information?

Matt

• I Donated

Adam is off at sea right now for a few months without internet access...

Contact Baddog. He isn't far from you and can likely help

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Sorry I didn't mention that. Yes there are 2 wires coming from the high. If we wore ground to the chassis with the rest of the set-up, and the bulb itself to the factory high beam wire, it blows a fuse immediately. I also forgot to mention that the hid kit is only for the low beams and it does have a relay. Thanks for the suggestions, any other ideas with that adde information?

Matt

"If we wore ground to the chassis with the rest of the set-up, and the bulb itself to the factory high beam wire, it blows a fuse immediately." This means the wire you grounded is a HOT wire, not ground. Try to reverse the wires to see if it blows the fuse again.

that makes perfect sense, I will definitely try that. Although I'm pretty certain we pulled the boot off and the wire we considered ground was going to the housing and the "hot" was going to the bulb. I'll let you know if we got them mixed up somehow though

that makes perfect sense, I will definitely try that. Although I'm pretty certain we pulled the boot off and the wire we considered ground was going to the housing and the "hot" was going to the bulb. I'll let you know if we got them mixed up somehow though

That's correct but what about the wires from the car (source) ?

Power wires are either yellow/blue or black/yellow depends in driver or passenger side?

I don't remember 100% but can check if you're reply this post.

i tried swapping "polarity" and same thing. Turned on for a quick second then popped the fuse. I really dont see why i would need a relay or anything of the sort because its the same wattage bulb. 55w. is the HID kit (low beam) and high beam drawing too much current for the circuit?

• 2 weeks later...

I upgraded my headlight harness' last week by using heavy gauge wires going to the battery and relays that were triggered by the OEM wiring. I think I know what happened to you. (same thing that happened to me) Turns out that Subaru uses an unorthodox way of wiring the headlights. Subaru uses 1 common +12v, and 2 grounds (to activate the high and low beams). Most other cars are vice~versa. If you followed some kind of generic directions written for the majority of cars it will not work. I was so pissed when I had to re-do the whole job, especially since I soldered everything! Here is a writeup on how to do what you want.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f85/wiring-harness-r-d-48462/

Here's another.

http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f85/huge-hid-conversion-kit-price-drops-free-lifetime-warranty-23738/index3.html

And since you're in there, consider upgrading the wiring system for the maximum effect. Here is a tutorial on how it's done.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

(Hit thanks if this helps)

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

my 95 legacy uses the same wiring set up as the standard 9003, when i switched to 9007 enclosures it was plug n play for the wiring. ill see if i can find a good pic online for it.

9003:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmArECkB_VFUPDUVL9yFyQvNBPoeGnMqJtLRbr2tboknye-azmBQhBJE8V

this is the stock, mine was -12vdc on the ground. no idea what car youre putting this in, so it may be different.

• 1 month later...
sorry guys, i haven't been on much at all in the last month or two. I haven't really had a chance to tinker with it. At least the low beams still work. If i remember correctly though, the low beams stayed on when i flipped the high beams on, the split second before the fuse blew that is. I am wondering how i can wire it to turn off the low beams when the high beams come on. I would actually prefer both to be on at the same time though. Can i just try putting a bigger fuse in? or will the extra current draw be too much for some of the other equipment?

Archived