LegacyGT.com

quick borla vs hks exhaust

broudl73

I have the HKS Silent Hi Power.

I also have a catless up-pipe and Cobb downpipe.

Mine was so loud I had to have the resonator removed and replaced with a third muffler (magnaflow). It had a lot of drone on the highway. It's still too loud at times especially if you ever have any occupants in the rear seat, and I've already added a bunch of Dynamat with about zero reduction.

Just based on how free flowing the HKS exhaust is I would tend to think it probably has the edge over the Borla. My first choice was the Borla, second choice was the Cobb, but both weren't on hand when I went Stage II. So I settled for the HKS "Silent" Hi Power. I think the silent might only apply when the engine is off, but I've heard the volume increases dramatically with the Borla too when you delete the cats.

I'm still up in the air about what to do, more Dynamat, more quite third muffler, or a new system. I'd probably go with the Borla, SPT, or Cobb if I had it to do over again, and the wife would be a lot happier. If you're single though, go for it.

Both are 2.5" at the flange (use donut gasket). IIRC the borla piping goes down to 2". That considered, I'd think the HKS flows better, but you are fooling yourself if you are buying a CBE for significant HP gains (especially comparing one aftermarket to the other).

So.. since its mostly a sound/aesthic mod.. which one do you like better? The exhausts are fairly different. Borla is known to be the most quiet aftermarket catback and looks stock whereas HKS is louder with melon shooters.

just got the borla cbe installed on my 05 LGT yesterday, with the cnt catted DP and invidia catless UP. The exhaust sounds as good as i anticipated, great piece and no dron eon highway at all. Would recommend borla to anyone who wants a subtle, yet clean sounding exhaust.

just got the borla cbe installed on my 05 LGT yesterday, with the cnt catted DP and invidia catless UP. The exhaust sounds as good as i anticipated, great piece and no dron eon highway at all. Would recommend borla to anyone who wants a subtle, yet clean sounding exhaust.

I have the same setup, but I'm running the stock up since I have an 09. I like that the exhaust is not too loud but just enough when you get on it. A couple of my friends constantly comment on how nice my car sounds. Funny thing is my grandmother asked what I did to my car after I pulled away from her house one day. I asked if the exhaust was annoying, she said "No, it sounded mean" :p

These two clips give a pretty good idea to what they sound like in person.

I listened to a ton of clips before I decided on the Borla and I am very happy with my choice.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifxJm_A032Y]YouTube - Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Borla Exhaust Sound Clip[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojeW4xnBH74]YouTube - 06 Subaru Legacy Gt Spec B Borla CBE[/ame]

HKS silent...quiet with stock DP...still really quiet with perrin 2pc dp w/high flow cat and Perrin catless UP...then I modded it to 3" from the dp back and added a magnaflow resonator and its even quieter...no drone, no rumble...only loud when im hammering the gas...

good stuff, how long you been running the setup for, and you running an OTS tune or a protune? how is it working out for you

Been running the setup for about two months. I was running the OTS Cobb Stage II tune then I pulled the trigger on an Infamous tune. I am very happy with my setup.

Archived