LegacyGT.com

'08 Limited 6CD w/dead radio display. HVAC works. Point of failure?

profmathers

Hi guys!

I'm hoping one of you that has a lot more experience that me digging through the radios can help me decide whether to fix this radio or send it packing.

I've got an '05 Limited...and a nice looking '08 6CD (p204uh, 67b) in hand. Plugged right in, but on power the LED panel for just the radio does not work. HVAC is fine, all functions of the audio system seem fine. Plays CD's, etc. I've removed the faceplate to inspect and clean and it looks pretty good.

The radio did come from a 2008 Limited that was totalled out so it the chassis of the radio could be tweaked so that the connectors don't mate. No cracks on tabs or anything, though. I had it shipped so I don't know any more about where it came from.

Does anybody have experience with the faceplates on these? When I R&R'ed the faceplate, I expected to see a ribbon cable but was disappointed to see a flush connect. Wondering if the connector is the problem, or if there's something under the PCB that gets loose...

Fingers crossed!

Thanks, free beer for a solution that won't have me returning this radio when I've gotten so close :)

Matt

From what DeerKiller (I think he was the one) said, the '08s won't work with pre-08 cars because of different wiring. Now, if you figure out what all the pin-outs are and reconfigure your harness, it may work, but no one's sure of that (from what I've read).

The 07's work with the 05-06 models though, pretty much plug and play.

EDIT---read through this thread. Might be some helpful tips in there.

Thanks for the link! I hate to post without an extensive search first; just didn't see anything specific to the '08 in detail. A pinout that i could cross reference to DK's would be pretty useful at this point :)

I think the point of failure might be me...This is a 67B radio, marked P-204UH, produced 8/07. Despite the connectors being the same I think I might have a pin wrong.

Wonder if (due to the Aux-in being standard on the '08 LTD) it's REQUIRED to have something plugged into that changer/sat/ipod plug. I just didn't want to shell out for the $130 input kit and the radio in the same month. Too cold out to sleep in the car.

Anyone have any specific experience with the 67B? From this thread I would've thought the HVAC wouldn't work, but it works like a charm.

Thanks again !

OK, I have some more info...I hope. This is SO CLOSE to working, it seems a shame to quit. '08 radios are a heck of a lot easier to find that '07's, at least where I am.

From user SVXdc on NASIOC, supposedly the '08 Legacy pinout:

Can anyone shed some light on this? This shows a 20P connector...

BTW, Thank you, McWiggin!

nasiocleggypinout.png.6ed56aa2b7ed7b867397d00e8dc781b0.png

There should be a pinout diagram somewhere in here for an 05-06 radio. It'll probably take some searching though.

I guess I should've included that :) McWiggin has also posted schematics, though I shouldn't link 'em because he's hosting...

Honestly, I'm beginning to think that this should be working properly but the unit I have has the faceplate issue covered under the TSB that's in so many other threads. I don't have an '07/08 car to try it in. (I should probably cross-post in centralohiosubarus, but what would be the incentive for somebody other than bare curiosity)

I DO appreciate you checking back zmarko! It'd suck if I'd spent half my weekend and felt like nobody was paying attention :) Thanks.

What do you think, should I dump this thread and repost on something more obvious like "exact difference between 67A and 67B versions of P-204UH Radio?"

20pin_pinout.jpg.a9de38f10dc4640330a9f486e8653b4b.jpg

Honestly, I would PM Opie with how far you've gotten (link him to this thread), and see what he says. He was the one who told me the 08 HU wouldn't work in the pre-08 cars.

He's a really good guy and knows his stuff. Maybe he could shed some light on this for you.

Honestly, I would PM Opie with how far you've gotten (link him to this thread), and see what he says. He was the one who told me the 08 HU wouldn't work in the pre-08 cars.

He's a really good guy and knows his stuff. Maybe he could shed some light on this for you.

Will do. Thanks for the suggestion!

Is there anywhere in Greensboro that delivers beer?

Just to tie up a loose end...

I didn't say that 20-pin radio connector was used in Legacies.

It's used on some 2008 and later Subarus with non-Navi radios. I think I've only seen WRX/Impreza owners mention it, but it may be on some other Subarus. The model CZ641U6 has it, and I've seen that in a 2008 WRX STI.

People have even posted pictures of some Subaru radios that have both the new 20-pin and the old 14-pin speaker/power connectors (I don't recall which cars they were in).

I'm pretty sure that none of the ones with the 20-pin connector have the integrated A/C controls.

But to confirm what you've already discovered: If your radio has the 14-pin connector, the pin-out is exactly the same as every other 1995-up radio with that connector.

Wow, didn't expect to hear from you! Thanks for posting, and for all the rest of the helpful info over the years :) I was hoping to find out whether it was used going forward, as the '08 radio in Zmarko's car and the one I had were produced in late '07. Didn't know if it was a sea change for Subaru or not. Now that I've been shown the 2008 vacation pictures, it seems that it wasn't.

My second (hopefully not battered) 2008 radio is in the mail. Hopefully this will seem like a no-brainer when we're all done :)

Archived