LegacyGT.com

Clean sweep static

SubieBlkOut

Hey guys,

I need a little advice from the more experienced fellas. Last night I finally got everything installed for my system and got to test it out. The components are:

* JL clean sweep

*Infinity Reference 5350a 5 channel amp

*10" Rockford Sub in a sealed box

*4 x infinity reference 6.5" 6022si speakers

*2 x 12' RCA cables

*100' 16-2 speaker wire

*amp wiring kit

I finally turned the system on and there is constant static from the speakers. Everything works correctly and I even calibrated the system but the static remains. This is with the car off and the key turned to ACC. I played with it a little with no success and then just went to bed. Any ideas? I am going to check all the connections tonight but I am not sure where to go after that.

Thanks guys.

Sean

there are many things that can introduce noise. try the flowchart at the bottom of this page and see if it helps.

http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/learningcenter/car/amplifiers_noise.html

Sometimes the separate components will see slightly different voltage due to different grounding paths (=ground loop). If this is your issue you may need to ground the cleensweep at the same place as the amp, or better ground one or the other. This can be done temporarily to test if that is the cause.

I thought I had grounded the amp well, I screwed the ground cable to a piece of metal that I sanded down to bare metal. But now that I think about it, that could be the culprit.

The clean sweep is spliced into the ground wire for the radio so it should be good.

Thanks for the link to Cruthfield, that helps.

I had the exact same thing happen to me. I had to re-calibrate the CS several times trying 20, 25 and 30 for volume on the OEM HU. It did eventually go away. I also tried moving the ground from the amp in the back to the OEM h/u ground and even a totally neutral one.

Here's my exploits trying to solve the same issue.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74148&highlight=cleansweep+str8dwn

Archived