LegacyGT.com

1997 Legacy Wagon Cam Sensor Issue

Thought I should repost with a more accurate title, I said I had a 95 legacy, not sure what happened there.

So my rough idle issue was narrowed down to the cam sensor. You can read my other post titled "1995 Legacy - runs great until it warms up" for some background.

Basically, in the narrowing down/tinkering process, I loosened the sensor while the car was running and the idle picked up and smoothed out. I ended up 'shimming' the sensor, and the car ran great. I picked up a new sensor and installed it today, same issue, rough idle, code P0341. Loosened the new sensor and the car ran great. Although it took me a lot longer to find the sweet spot the second time around.

So now I have the new sensor shimmed, found it liked to be tipped down and to the drivers side a bit. Just wondering if anyone has heard of anything like this problem? With it not being a sensor issue, I'm thinking there are only two other possibilities, 1- the sensor mounting area is messed up, or 2- the cam pulley is messed up.

Anyone ever heard of either problem? I'm going to try and post a pic of my shim job, not at all because I'm proud of it mind you, but because I want you guys to see the hilarity of what I had to do, to get it to run right!

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj605/Idahorec/image_zps72ae30fb.jpg' alt='image_zps72ae30fb.jpg'>

So the yellow one is tipping the sensor down and to the drivers side, the blue one is between the bolt head and sensor to help push the sensor in the general direction of down and to the drivers side. Again, not proud of it, but in this configuration, the car runs beautifully!

Any thoughts or insight as to what my next move should be? I'm not comfortable leaving it this way indefinitely.

Ok, pulled the outer covers to take a look at the belt and marks. Both cam marks look right on, although I found that there where no reference marks on the crank pulley so I don't know if all the marks are lined up. I didn't have the time or desire to pull the bolt and check if the key way was pointed down.

There is or should be 4 tabs on your crank gear, have to take the pulley off to see it.. only one has a punch mark. That will be at 12 o'clock when timing is lined up. The crank pulley is just attached with the bolt and woodruff key.

if the cams match each other, chance are that the timing is right.

but not a guarantee.

how did the timing belt look?

any dust, or dirt, or excessive grime.

two thoughts,

one if you got it to run right, drive it.

i think this is about the cam sensor and or the wire connector or harness, replace them both.

i have heard of cam sensors being ''intermittent''.

maybe this is the beginning of that.

Johnegg-

The timing belt looks good, clean and dry.

I am driving it, it runs great. I just worry that I'm going to hit a bump or something and my cool "shims" are going to fall out.

I did replace the cam sensor, I also ohm'd the harness from the sensor to the B20 plug. Do you know if there is a voltage test at the ecu like the TPS has?

Archived