LegacyGT.com

Control arm bolt question

SpideR

I did a quick search and found nothing; I've got a question about the front control arm bolts.

I seriously bent my left front control arm, and need to replace it. Are the bolts torque to yield, or are they safe to re-use?

Thanks!

How badly did it bend and how?

I don't have the pics handy at the moment, but the wheel is probably an inch further back in the wheel well then it should be, and the steering wheel is turned about 20* to the right when driving straight down the road.

I took a curb straight on at about 15, and the arm bent right at the curve towards the back, and it was obvious enough that you could see it when just looking under the front of the car. No lifting or wheel removal was required; it was that obvious.

Makes sense really. I wasn't thinking along those lines originally but certainly a good call. It's also good to know the hardware isn't torque to yield.

Along those lines, what are the torque specs?

Listen to m sprank and replace the hardware.

What is the yield strength of the oem control arm hardware? :iam:

Not worth the risk imo, you're already replacing the arm, buy new hardware.

130ksi.

The odds that the bolt is fine.

If it's bent, replace it. If it isn't, you could reuse it.

Personally, I'd replace it.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

So I'm looking for the mounting bolts, and they don't show up on any of the exploded diagrams (on the Fred Beans site BTW). Anybody got part numbers by any chance so I can order the bolts along with the control arm?

Oh, and here is a pic of the bend:

IMG_0295.JPG.688c558593e74fb506ae8f79f27197d4.JPG

Archived