LegacyGT.com

I just got AWD pwnd =(

VaultBoy

So about two weeks ago my brother noticed a chunk missing from the side wall of one of my Yokohama S-Drive tires. They only have about 11k miles on them so that upset me a little because they still have plenty of tread and are good tires, but the gouge missing made me nervous of a blow-out. So I went in to Discount Tire and had them order a new one for me...$170 :eek:. I should have shopped around more I know but I just paid them and had it ordered. Well it got put on today and the guy at Discount told me they recommend all 4 tires be replaced but I figured my other 3 were just fine because of the amount of tread on them. Well...after getting home and doing about 10 minutes of research I discovered I have a problem. My 3 tires have about 1/8 inch less tread then then new one, which is twice the manufacturer recommended difference of 1/16 inch difference. After reading about special differentials and whatnot that AWD's have, I am now worried about screwing up the driveline as explained in an article on tirerack.com http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=18&

This is the first time I can say I am mad at my car for being AWD :mad:. I don't think any local places shave tires where I am, so it looks like I am being forced into buying 3 more tires....:icon_sad: It's a sad day

If you can't find a local place to shave a tire, give Tire Rack a call. That way you just buy one more tire instead of three. I hit a curb the other day, which took a chunk off of one tire. I had Tire Rack shave a new tire, which cost an extra $25. Now I just have to find a place that'll repair the damaged wheel.

I thought about getting it shaved but I didn't want to roll on the donut wheel while it was getting done. But I will say this, be careful when you buy new tires from Discount Tires. I got onto eBay last night to see if I could get 3 more of the S-Drive's for cheaper and I found a listing selling single tires for $118.75 per tire w/ free shipping.....and it was DISCOUNT TIRE selling them! They charged me $150 for the one tire I bought locally. So I am going back in tomorrow with my receipt to have a little chat with them and see if they will price-match themselves. And I will just try to sell the 3 I have left to get some money to pay for the new ones...just sucks only having 3 left lol

I thought about getting it shaved but I didn't want to roll on the donut wheel while it was getting done. But I will say this, be careful when you buy new tires from Discount Tires. I got onto eBay last night to see if I could get 3 more of the S-Drive's for cheaper and I found a listing selling single tires for $118.75 per tire w/ free shipping.....and it was DISCOUNT TIRE selling them! They charged me $150 for the one tire I bought locally. So I am going back in tomorrow with my receipt to have a little chat with them and see if they will price-match themselves. And I will just try to sell the 3 I have left to get some money to pay for the new ones...just sucks only having 3 left lol

That sucks! Let us know what happens w/ Discount...I had had decent luck with them.

Rehab is for quitters.

Just like anything you buy locally, you can probably find it cheaper on the internet. The reason for the premium is you can have it that day plus you have a physical local as well as other services you get when you buy from them.

Personally I avoid eBay, especially for tires. I just don't like something as important as tires to be from some fly by night group. That's just my 2 cents.

Discount tire has typically been pretty good to me. I've bought a couple of sets from them. Most recently I got a set of Dunlop Z1's from them for about $10 more a tire than some of the online guys but I would have paid at least that much to have them mounted which Discount did for free with the purchase. I also get free rotations and spin balancing for the life of the tires. So all in all I'd rather spend a little more up front and save myself some money and headache in the long run.

The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

They should definitely price match and reimburse for the one tire you bought.

put the new tire on the front axle, you'll be fine

Yeah it's currently on the front left of my car, I am trying to drive as little as possible until the others show up. I've read the other threads and stuff about this, but I don't remember reading anything about having the bigger tire on the front axle being any different then on the back...maybe I overlooked it (sorry if I did) but can you explain? Is it because on the front, since those wheels are constantly turning left and right to steer, the differentials are different so it's not as big a deal for one to be spinning at a different rate of speed?

front diff is an open diff

rear diff is limited slip

Everyone says don't mix old and new, and i agree to an extent. Search and tell me how many drivetrains have been fried due to mis match tires. I bet you don't find many or any....on ANY suby forum. And if you do find one, it was probably an extreme case. Like different size tires or a bald tire and a new tire.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

front diff is an open diff

rear diff is limited slip

Everyone says don't mix old and new, and i agree to an extent. Search and tell me how many drivetrains have been fried due to mis match tires. I bet you don't find many or any....on ANY suby forum. And if you do find one, it was probably an extreme case. Like different size tires or a bald tire and a new tire.

Agreed.

Archived